Need help - found hole on side wall of above-ground pool before winterizing

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
I've had my above-ground pool for just over 2 years (~28 months?) and I was taking one last swim before winterizing the pool and I found a 3/4" hole on the side wall of the pool.

Do I need to replace the liner or should I try a patch? One of my concerns is that I won't be able to see the water level after I put the winter cover on it.

I did find an old package of Vinyl Pool Repair Kit that was stored in my incredibly hot attic which I'm not sure ruined the glue or not?

@Casey or @zea3 can help with patching advice.

Put two or three layers of patches on each one being a bit larger then the previous.

How old is the liner?

Do you have any idea how the liner got the hole?

If the liner is old and starting to tear then it is time to replace it.

I would get a new patch kit. They are not expensive and you want the patch to hold. Use two patches over the hole, with the first patch 1" larger all the way around than the hole and round off any corners on the patch. A circular patch is best if you have enough material. Apply the patch and let it set, then cut the second patch an 1" larger than the first and apply it. Make sure all the edges lay down flat.

You can get an idea of the water level by thumping on the side of the pool with your hand. It will make a deeper sound below water level and feel firmer to the touch.

Reactions: Mdragger88
How old is the liner?

Do you have any idea how the liner got the hole?
The liner is only 2 years old and I have no idea how it got the hole. It's behind the removeable ladder and doesn't touch the side of the pool so I'm really quite stumped.

I would get a new patch kit. They are not expensive and you want the patch to hold. Use two patches over the hole, with the first patch 1" larger all the way around than the hole and round off any corners on the patch. A circular patch is best if you have enough material. Apply the patch and let it set, then cut the second patch an 1" larger than the first and apply it. Make sure all the edges lay down flat.

You can get an idea of the water level by thumping on the side of the pool with your hand. It will make a deeper sound below water level and feel firmer to the touch.
Would you recommend the Boxer Vinyl Pool Repair Kit? I'm going to check my local pool stores tomorrow but I want to make sure I'm buying something quality with the best chance of working.

Also, it's now 24 hour since I discovered the hole and it's strange the pool water level hasn't dropped much or at all according to my eyes anyways. I would have expected such a "large" hole (ie. dime-sized) to drop it 2-3" per day?

Thank you guys so much for helping!

It might be a few days before I can take a photo underwater. It's been raining for the past 24 hours and it's supposed to keep raining for a couple of days.

The hole is located about 1 foot from the bottom of the pool but on the side wall.

Did you want a picture to help determine the cause of the rip or to apply the patch?

I've ordered the Boxer kit from Amazon so I can patch it ASAP but I'm still planning to call the local pool stores tomorrow. It sounds like if I can find a scrap piece of a liner that would also work well with the Boxer glue?

Yes liner scraps should work well. I am curious what could have caused the hole and why the leak is not worse. Don't worry about getting a picture if the weather is not cooperating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.