PoolMammy

Aug 5, 2019
Lake Charles, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in the process of using my water well to fill up my pool. It is taking so long that I fear I will get an algae before I can get it to the level of filtration. I have been brushing it daily. Someone advised me to get a 3 inch chlorine tablet, attach it to the hose with a sock and then test the water before adding any algicide because I might get a stain.

Attachments

• 1B0CAB77-2BD5-45FC-A4CC-6128FF40E328.jpeg
    1B0CAB77-2BD5-45FC-A4CC-6128FF40E328.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 57CC8E06-5D79-44B9-85D4-A5CD4E2CCF97.jpeg
    57CC8E06-5D79-44B9-85D4-A5CD4E2CCF97.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum! :)
Are you asking how you can get chlorine in the water before the level is high enough to run the pump and filter? You can add liquid chlorine and brush it to stir it up. Soon the level will be high enough. The puck will add a little bit of chlorine and cya but you have no way of knowing how much. TFP wants you to learn why you add things to your pool and how best to do it.
Do you have a good test kit to start testing the water, in order to know how much chlorine, cya, TA, pH levels needed?
Algacide will not kill algae but maintaining the optimal level of liquid chlorine with the corresponding CYA level will. The TF100 test kit or the K-2006 test kit will help you keep the water balanced, clear and swimmable. TFTestkits.net.

Also please fill out your signature at the bottom of your posts so everyone responding to you knows what type of pool and equipment you have.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: PoolMammy
Welcome to TFP.

Algaecide adds unwanted chemicals like copper to your pool. We try and stay away from it.

Get liquid chlorine, preferable 10%, or 6% plain bleach will do. Not Clorox bleach and not with any additives, fragrances, softeners. Add 3 ppm of chlorine to the water and stir it in using a pole or whatever you have.

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Have you downloaded PoolMath?

Where is ILUVMYPOOL#1 located? Knowing your location lets us tailor our recommendations for your environment.

Hi. Thanks for the info and Yes to both questions. I previously owned a 25,000 gallon inground pool for 20 years but was on City water. This is my first above ground pool and my first time with well water. Also it has been five years since I have dealt with pool water chemistry, so I am out of practice for sure. I don’t even have a test kit yet. Just some strips that came in a gift box. Somehow I guess my password got put in as my ZIP Code. I will be changing that immediately. I am in Louisiana. Lastly I need to find my way back to my pool signature so I can enter my information then I can come back to you guys with my questions. Thank you

Welcome to TFP.

Algaecide adds unwanted chemicals like copper to your pool. We try and stay away from it.

Get liquid chlorine, preferable 10%, or 6% plain bleach will do. Not Clorox bleach and not with any additives, fragrances, softeners. Add 3 ppm of chlorine to the water and stir it in using a pole or whatever you have.

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

Have you downloaded PoolMath?

Where is ILUVMYPOOL#1 located? Knowing your location lets us tailor our recommendations for your environment.
I just bought some chlorinating liquid (10% Sodium Hypochlorite) my 7650 gallon, vinyl lined pool is halfway filled. I am ready to add some of this to keep an algae at bay. Was trying to use the pool math app but it seems like such a little amount to add. I’m really confused. Any suggestions or help please ?

I just bought some chlorinating liquid (10% Sodium Hypochlorite) my 7650 gallon, vinyl lined pool is halfway filled. I am ready to add some of this to keep an algae at bay. Was trying to use the pool math app but it seems like such a little amount to add. I’m really confused. Any suggestions or help please ?
Oh and as a reminder it is well water. Using a test strip which is all I have right now my CYA is in ideal range

Go ahead and add the chlorine NOW even if it seems like it's not much. And brush the bottom of the pool to mix it. Algae will grow whether it's a little bit of water or a lot. You need to be adding chlorine EVERY DAY to keep the algae at bay.
Am I stressing this enough? :whip: lol

How do you know your CYA is in range? Did you put any in? CYA does not naturally occur in any water including well water. So if you did not add any CYA powder or a lot of pucks, you do not have any CYA, even if the test strips indicate you have something.

CYA range needs to be between 30-50 ppm because the sun will burn off the chlorine soon after you put it in if there is no CYA. Too much CYA is also a problem, it causes you to have to add a lot more chlorine to sanitize the pool.

Have you ordered the test kit yet? The TF-100 or K-2006 are the most accurate. Kits from the pool store have a shelf life and you have no idea how long they have been in the store. TFTestkits.net has fresh test regents and good prices. :whip: lol

You are asking the right questions. Go ahead and start working on the water. :thumleft:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

30 oz of 10% will raise your CL 3ppm. Add it every day until you get your test kit.

Reactions: mariane
Oh and as a reminder it is well water. Using a test strip which is all I have right now my CYA is in ideal range
Also I’ve never used liquid chlorine before and I am unclear as to how to add it to my pool ? Do I dilute it in pool water in a bucket first ?
30 oz of 10% will raise your CL 3ppm. Add it every day until you get your test kit.
OMG I hope I did not mess up But after reading the back of the liquid chlorine that I bought, I thought I did the math right and I added 1 gallon at first and then another 1 gallon jugs to my water ( total of 256 Oz.) it turned up my water from a brownish gold color to more of a gold color. It did kill whatever was forming on the bottom of my pool though. The sun has been beaming also so I’m hoping all will be OK. I’m wondering why it didn’t turn my water clear though?

Go ahead and add the chlorine NOW even if it seems like it's not much. And brush the bottom of the pool to mix it. Algae will grow whether it's a little bit of water or a lot. You need to be adding chlorine EVERY DAY to keep the algae at bay.
Am I stressing this enough? :whip: lol

How do you know your CYA is in range? Did you put any in? CYA does not naturally occur in any water including well water. So if you did not add any CYA powder or a lot of pucks, you do not have any CYA, even if the test strips indicate you have something.

CYA range needs to be between 30-50 ppm because the sun will burn off the chlorine soon after you put it in if there is no CYA. Too much CYA is also a problem, it causes you to have to add a lot more chlorine to sanitize the pool.

Have you ordered the test kit yet? The TF-100 or K-2006 are the most accurate. Kits from the pool store have a shelf life and you have no idea how long they have been in the store. TFTestkits.net has fresh test regents and good prices. :whip: lol

You are asking the right questions. Go ahead and start working on the water. :thumleft:
Thank you for replying and for your attention. I have begun working on my water and I am about to try to get a test kit along with a scammer too attached to the inside of my pool. Whenever I get this type of test kit will I be able to use it no matter what type of chemicals I will be using as far as conversions and such ?

Thank you for replying and for your attention. I have begun working on my water and I am about to try to get a test kit along with a skimmer to attach to the inside of my pool. Whenever I get this type of test kit will I be able to use it no matter what type of chemicals I will be using as far as conversions and such ?
Skimmer* lol
Thank you for replying and for your attention. I have begun working on my water and I am about to try to get a test kit along with a scammer too attached to the inside of my pool. Whenever I get this type of test kit will I be able to use it no matter what type of chemicals I will be using as far as conversions and such ?
I must say that your presence here, albeit through virtual help, is really good to have as I am facing this on my own. Thank you thank all of you

Attachments

• 8CC5DC2A-03D5-46EA-9BB4-115EC890DE4D.jpeg
    8CC5DC2A-03D5-46EA-9BB4-115EC890DE4D.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 9
I know it’s not the correct way but this is the only method I have to test it at the moment and that’s my readings after adding 2 gallons of 10% chlorine. The next picture was the readings from yesterday before I added chlorine

Attachments

• 6DA3BBA2-4D13-40C6-A30E-E24478D4BE73.jpeg
    6DA3BBA2-4D13-40C6-A30E-E24478D4BE73.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 9
I would not make any decisions or chemical adjustments based on those test strips.

I would not make any decisions or chemical adjustments based on those test strips.
I’m not lol I was asked what made me think that my CYA was in an ideal range. I basically was using the strips to see if the water chemistry changed after I put the liquid chlorine In the pool. I have been doing a lot of reading and I am of the opinion that I might have iron from the well water and the chlorine possibly oxidized it. Something that would inevitably have happened anyhow. I see no other choice for me other than to bring a sample to have it tested professionally then I will go from there. I am really bummed out tonight. Tomorrow is a new day and I hope to be back here soon once I get this settled. Again thank you so very much

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.