Need help diagnosing a Maytronic Active 20 (not power supply, cord, or impeller)

pjku79

Apr 17, 2015
San Antonio
OK, I have done tons of searching and am not finding any way to test the motor.

Current status: Turn the power supply on, robot turns on, moves in reverse for about 3 seconds. At that point, everything on the robot turns off. The power supply lights still stays on. When the power turns on for a few seconds the impeller does move for a few secs.

I have checked my plug and get 120v. I have checked power going into the motor (cord and power supply) and it reads about 29v. I have pulled the impeller off to make sure there is nothing blocking it and it turns freely.

Can someone tell me what to do next? Is there a way to test the motor? Is there some water sensor that might not be working?

I did have the robot out of the water Saturday for about 12 hours (I usually leave it in the water 24/7). I think I forgot to turn off the power supply, so it might have tried to run while out of the water. I am not aware of it working after I put it back in the water Sunday.

How old is the robot???

When the robot turns on, it runs some self-checks.. If they fail, the system just shut off..

I suspect that is what is happening.

If you take take the robot out of the pool and turn it upside down and power it up, it should run through the same self-tests.. The tracks should move one way, then the other, and then the suction motor should come on.

Try that and tell me what happens..

To be honest, there is not much that can be repaired..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK just pulled the motor car apart and found quite a bit of moisture and sand stuff all over from the desi. I think it's too absorb moisture. What should i do? Let it dry out and try it again? Is there any test i can run on it to narrow down the problem?1000008310.jpg pak.

I suspect at 5 years the brushes in the motors are all worn out...

Make sure nothing is wrapped around the shaft of the suction motor under the impeller..

You really only have two choices.. Replace the motor box, for $$$$$ or buy a new robot... :(

If you decide to go with a new robot, you should read the following review...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good news, I cleaned out the motor and let it sit in the sun all day and now it works.

Does anyone know if I can but a new o ring to seal up the motor?

I will probably also look for a rice packet or something on Amazon to pull moisture away.

Maybe I'll get another year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news, I cleaned out the motor and let it sit in the sun all day and now it works.

I will probably also look for a rice packet or something on Amazon to pull moisture away.

curious how did it go? my Pentair Warrior SE has the same issue but haven't got time to mess with the motor.

5 years is about the useable life for these robots. If water got into the motor housing then it is more than likely a shaft seal leak and it will happen again. The motor assemblies are not designed to be repairable. Believe me, I tried. Some folks have found used replacement motors on eBay for overseas suppliers and that has worked. Maytronics does NOT sell motor assembly parts for retail … they either want you to buy a new motor assembly or a new robot.

It usually doesn’t make any financial sense to buy a motor assembly because they are close to half the cost of a new robot. If you’re intent on staying with a robotic cleaner, then it makes more sense (less hassle) to buy a new one.

Took a few hours today to open up the SE and cleaned carbon-dusted motor, lubed the O-rings and sealed it back. There was no water or rust inside. it's working like new, going to the water line for the first time in half a year! motor shaft spinning easily when I moved it by hand, and when powered on there was no more loud grinding noise. however, there were 2 large dents (pic), not sure how that happened (?) but I'm guessing that was the cause of the motor noise and self-test failure. Happy for now but not sure for how long.

There is a guy selling motor rebuild kit with Orings on ebay if you want to try it: MAYTRONICS DOLPHIN POOL ROBOT IMPELLER REBUILD KIT MOTOR 52ZY98 5500026 READ | eBay

Attachments

• dolphin motor.jpg
    dolphin motor.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 8
Took a few hours today to open up the SE and cleaned carbon-dusted motor, lubed the O-rings and sealed it back. There was no water or rust inside. it's working like new, going to the water line for the first time in half a year! motor shaft spinning easily when I moved it by hand, and when powered on there was no more loud grinding noise. however, there were 2 large dents (pic), not sure how that happened (?) but I'm guessing that was the cause of the motor noise and self-test failure. Happy for now but not sure for how long.

There is a guy selling motor rebuild kit with Orings on ebay if you want to try it: MAYTRONICS DOLPHIN POOL ROBOT IMPELLER REBUILD KIT MOTOR 52ZY98 5500026 READ | eBay

Those dents are normal marks from the motor manufacturing process. DC motors like that use multiple windings around magnetic poles. To cut down on eddy current loss, the poles are made of laminated sheets of a ferromagnetic material with nonconductive material in between. Because of the non-uniform nature of the laminate and windings, the poles may not all be exactly the same weight. And so, just like a car’s wheel that needs to be balanced by adding weights to the rim, the motor poles need to be balanced as well and they will mechanically shave off some material to change the weight distribution. So it’s not uncommon to see electromagnetic motor poles with machining marks on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: caycarem