Need help breaking chlorine lock

If you think you're chasing your tail now just wait till all the advice from being pool stored comes together. Heed the advice before me, get your own test kit and trust ONLY your test.
I do have a test kit, just not as robust as what is recommended. So I have been going to the store for 2 reasons in between my testings:

1 test CYA and FC vs Tc
2 Provide proof of a well maintained pool in case I have issues with my plaster. It was just done last year, so I wanted to be able to show

I don’t know if any of those comments answered your actual question but I understood it right away. “Out of range” I’ve come to the conclusion is based on what they see as the normal set value of chlorine to cya. Adding more chlorine than that is “out of range”. In the case of slamming, you have to go out of range, or the standard regular everyday chlorine level.

I don’t know if any of those comments answered your actual question but I understood it right away. “Out of range” I’ve come to the conclusion is based on what they see as the normal set value of chlorine to cya. Adding more chlorine than that is “out of range”. In the case of slamming, you have to go out of range, or the standard regular everyday chlorine level.
I feel like that must be what is going on. Its the only thing that makes sense. Its unfortunate that when selecting SLAM it doesn't change that warning. It really made me think that some value was wrong and I wasn't in a place to start the process.

Reactions: Selenap
Yeah I think it’s just a warning to let you know that much chlorine will make your pool hot but you have to raise it to clean out the yukkies. I’ve never raised my chlorine high enough to receive a message after inputting numbers but I’d guess that that warning would show up. Anytime I click the slam button that warning is there.

Just to chime in: don't trust the pool store results. If you have a taylor kit but just need the CYA and FAS/DPD tests for drops, get those. Even if the pool store tests are accurate (big if!), you won't be running back to them every 2 hours to test your FC levels during the SLAM, right? So you need an accurate way to test the pool yourself.

Nothing says you can't ALSO bring it in to the pool store and have them test, just to keep a record for your plaster warranty.

Reactions: Aknagy
Just to chime in: don't trust the pool store results. If you have a taylor kit but just need the CYA and FAS/DPD tests for drops, get those. Even if the pool store tests are accurate (big if!), you won't be running back to them every 2 hours to test your FC levels during the SLAM, right? So you need an accurate way to test the pool yourself.

Nothing says you can't ALSO bring it in to the pool store and have them test, just to keep a record for your plaster warranty.
After looking at my testers drops and such the only thing I needed to buy was r-0003 to test TC and buy a CYA kit. However my tester doesn't go about 5 for chlorine, so I will need to change to a different drop setup later.

Todays results after putting 19 gallons of 11% chlorine. These are the stores results as I don't have the other kits I ordered yet.

FC .4
TC 1.06
pH 7.1
TA 101
CH 216
CYA 30

Just added 2 gallons more of chlorine, and will check at lunch where I stand. Also set my chlorinator to 4 with 5 tabs in it. Getting closer to being good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With those tabs in the chlorinator you are working against yourself by adding more CYA. Take them out and only use liquid chlorine for the SLAM process.

With those tabs in the chlorinator you are working against yourself by adding more CYA. Take them out and only use liquid chlorine for the SLAM process.
I am hoping to be done adding CYA though. At 30 the tabs might only take it up to 40 at this point by end of my season and that should still be reasonable CYA.

Thoughts?

If you are performing a SLAM no need to raise your CYA at this time. Keeping your CYA at 40 is just fine that is what I keep mine at, but if you raise it while performing the SLAM you will just have to buy more LC.

If you are performing a SLAM no need to raise your CYA at this time. Keeping your CYA at 40 is just fine that is what I keep mine at, but if you raise it while performing the SLAM you will just have to buy more LC.
I see, I am not adding any more conditioner. Hopefully I am done adding massive amounts of chlorine as well. I'll post my results after lunch.

Reactions: JamesW
I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but It still needed about 4 gallons of chlorine at 6pm. This morning my numbers:

FC 3.44
TC 3.48
PH 7.3
TA 106
CH 202
CYA 38

Looks like it might finally be OK. I think I need to raise the hardness to 350 which is the start of the ideal range in Pool Math. I have calcium chloride ordered and should arrive today. It seems through my research that I should not do more than 10-15 lbs at a time, if this is the case how long should I wait between doses?

And raise the PH to 7.6 ( I'll remember not to do it on the same day :) )

Have you ever used any products to remove copper stains, like Jack's #2 copper and scale stuff?
With all the chemicals that I put in the pool should I also be doing something like Natural Chemistry Metal Free again?

I have tested my CH myself with the drops and the store has always matched my numbers within acceptable margins.

My comments on raising my CH were in the event that my FC was stable and holding.

FC seems to be holding between my night and morning tests for the last 3 days. I need to order a different FC test though, mine doesn't really go above 5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.