Need dual IC60s

Kurtgasper

Mar 20, 2019
So I am being told I need to run 2 IC60. My pool is close to 75,000 gallons. Having a Easytouch 8 being installed next week for good price but contractor wants way to much to do the salt conversion. Anyone have any info on running dual units.

A commercial system requires an external ORP panel and sensor. ORP is generally not a good choice for a residential pool.

I would suggest a single ic60 cell.

You should get the Easytouch with integrated power supply and ic60 cell.

One cell should be enough for most days, but you probably would need to run 24 hours a day.

Get ScreenLogic.

Definitely get an Intelliflo pump so that you can run continuously for low cost.

If you want to get two cells, you can get a second power supply and a second cell.

You would mount the second power supply near the EasyTouch and power it from the pump relay.

You would have to adjust the percentage right on the cell because the Easytouch can only control one cell at a time.

The second cell can be plumbed in series or in parallel with the first cell, but a parallel set of cells would require twice the flow rate to activate both cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtgasper
CircuPool makes a cell (RJ-60) that outputs 3lbs of chlorine gas per day as opposed to the 2lbs/day if the IC-60. You can’t integrate it with the EasyTouch much beyond just grabbing power off the ET panel (no comms) but at least the chlorine output is higher.

Kurt,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to learn about how your new pool will work. :shark:

Another option would be one IC60 and a Stenner pump for liquid chlorine.

Since you are in PA, your FC usage (chlorine demand) will not be as much as the guys who live in Texas or Arizona.

An IC60, running at 100% output, 24/7 will increase your FC by just over 3.0 ppm per day. That is about what your pool will use each day.

If you also have a Stenner that dispensed Liquid Chlorine, you could run it to provide the additional chlorine that you might need..

I also agree with JamesW... If you are not getting the EasyTouch with the built-in salt system, in my mind, that is a mistake.. Buying the EasyTouch without ScreenLogic is like going to the beach without your trunks... Something is missing.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can setup both IC 60 with the ET, but you will only be able to control 1 from the panel. Here is an idea, you can run one cell as an Aux channel and set it up to run at 100% always. Then with the ET you can control the other cell maybe at 10-20% depending on demand. This way over time the cell at 100% will die Sooner than the other and the expense will let you offset cell buys so you dont have to buy both at the same time.

We have seen folks here who have multiple Pentair Intellichlor cells in a master/slave setup. One is designated the Master and the others are the Slaves. All % adjustments are done to the Master cell.

I have never been able to find any description of that on the net.

Does the Easytouch come with the Intellichlor power supply built in and an IC60 cell?

You can add a second Intellichlor power supply box next to the Easytouch box and then have two cells.

In my opinion, you probably don't need two cells.

What is the builder's plan for the installation?

From what I understand its a board that can be installed into the easytouch. The easytouch was ordered a week ago. I was just thinking since I’m having all this work done does it make sense to convert now. We just bought the home late August.

Does the Easytouch come with the Intellichlor power supply built in and an IC60 cell?

You can add a second Intellichlor power supply box next to the Easytouch box and then have two cells.

In my opinion, you probably don't need two cells.

What is the builder's plan for the installation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So does the slave unit change when the master does or it that pre set and then use just master to change to get proper salt level

We have seen folks here who have multiple Pentair Intellichlor cells in a master/slave setup. One is designated the Master and the others are the Slaves. All % adjustments are done to the Master cell.

I have never been able to find any description of that on the net.

So does the slave unit change when the master does or it that pre set and then use just master to change to get proper salt level

I believe % changes on the Master get propogated to the Slaves so they all generate equally.

does the slave unit change when the master does or it that pre set and then use just master to change to get proper salt level

Kurt,

With the commercial units, there is a master and slaves.. I don't believe this is true for the residential units..

The EasyTouch can only control one cell...

Just to make sure we are on the same page.. The only thing that you can change on the cell is the Percent of Output.. 0 to 100%. A salt cell does not make salt, it uses the salt in the water to make chlorine.. By adjusting the cell's output you are telling the cell how much chlorine to make.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kurt,

With the commercial units, there is a master and slaves.. I don't believe this is true for the residential units..

The EasyTouch can only control one cell...

Just to make sure we are on the same page.. The only thing that you can change on the cell is the Percent of Output.. 0 to 100%. A salt cell does not make salt, it uses the salt in the water to make chlorine.. By adjusting the cell's output you are telling the cell how much chlorine to make.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes we are on same page. I misspoke

Ok so here is the update. To be transparent I can do almost anything i have many properties I do everything from electrical to plumbing to roofing. But I’m also getting to the point of what is worth my time to do and what is not for my personal things. The pool is close to 75,000 gallons. I got a quote for 7k to rip out all valves and replace, replace old controls with easytouch with screen logic, replace 60sqft de filter with new 100sqft quad de filter and new Intelliflo vVS 3hp pump, and pour concrete pad under everything including existing heater. I thought this is a pretty fair estimate as I think I could probably do everything myself and save $2000 i’d rather have them mess with the automation and use their expertise.

Then I started thinking about going to salt. First guy told me over the phone $5000 to just convert, running a dual system which I thought seemed highly. I just got off the phone with the guy and he said after talking to Pentair the recommend a IC60 with a UV light. They believe it’ll do the work needed running 12 hours a day on the VS Pump. They’re also recommending I replace the heater because I’m going to salt. Current heater is about 7 years old from what they say. For the addition of the full salt conversion , UV light and heater all installed is going to be about $6k more

This an outdoor pool? If so your pool gets plenty of UV light from the sun for free. No reason for a UV light on an outdoor pool.

As James has said, one IC60 with a VS pump running 24/7 at low speed should handle your 75K fine. You will just be running the cell at 80+% and likely replacing it every 2 years or less.

Thought the same thing about the sun. But doing some research a UV light is way different than the sun. The type of UV light that comes from the sun that is the same as a UV bulb is almost nothing by the time it reaches the surface of the earth and that is even when the sun is at its strongest.

Any reason why the heater should be replace because of switching to salt?

Thought the same thing about the sun. But doing some research a UV light is way different than the sun. The type of UV light that comes from the sun that is the same as a UV bulb is almost nothing by the time it reaches the surface of the earth and that is even when the sun is at its strongest.

Research the degredation of the UV bulb. The effectiveness of the UV bulb will not last long and you have no way of measuring when it has lost its effectiveness. So what good is it if you can't verify it is working to specifications?

Any reason why the heater should be replace because of switching to salt?

Nope.

Last edited:
You can read this post I wrote regarding UV -

Can I leave pucks in my in-line chlorinator when it's off?

You can certainly use UV as an add-on to your system but it’s not really considered a sanitation source for pools by the EPA. It can certainly kill some nasty (but rare) pathogens but the cost/benefit ratio is pretty poor.

You can read this post I wrote regarding UV -

Can I leave pucks in my in-line chlorinator when it's off?

You can certainly use UV as an add-on to your system but it’s not really considered a sanitation source for pools by the EPA. It can certainly kill some nasty (but rare) pathogens but the cost/benefit ratio is pretty poor.
Really informative. Thank you. I do agree. It’s a 50/50 with the UV light. I think what the pool company and Pentair are trying to accomplish have it help enough so I don’t have to run pump 24/7 and can use one IC60. My cousin father in-law switches 2 years ago it a UV light and regular chorine and he said he uses about 30% percent of what he used before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.