Need assistance in tweaking chemistry

SherrieDee

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2017
San Antonio
Hi All,

This is my first full year of running the pool myself and I have a few questions based on the following numbers:

FC. 6
TC. 0.5
TC. 5.5
CH. 500 ( very hard water here in San Antonio, Texas )
TA. 70
pH. 7.5
CYA ( I know I may need to add something here, but not sure what to get. Chlorine seems to be going away quickly and it’s not even June! I’m adding about a gallon a day of 6% bleach.)
I am only using chlorine bleach 6%, or 8.25%, when I can find it; muriatic acid, and baking soda.

Secondly,
I also have an Intex portable, inflatable hot tub set up under a canopy with the following numbers:

The temperature is set at 96°F and holds 210 gallons

BR. 5-10
CH. 150 ( it has a calcium remover in the filter which explains for the lower amount of calcium in this water versus my pool water. Wish I could hook this filter up to the big pool! )
TA. 180
pH. 8.2 plus
CYA. 0

You guys helped me get rid of the pool guy last year and I sailed through the winter, but now I need a little assistance in selecting stabilizer, if I need it, and tweaking these numbers somewhat to make it chlorine efficient for the summer.

Thanks for the help.
Sherrie

You did not show a value for the CYA. Do you have your own test kit?

To add CYA, buy CYA powder at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Put the powder in a sock (I use an old tube sock, no holes), tie it closed, and hang from a broom handle in front of your return. Squeeze the sock after it becomes saturated and it will dissolve quickly.

The SPA, which appears to be a bromine Spa, I cannot comment on as my Spa is integrated with the pool water.

Take care.

Hey Sherrie! :wave: Yes, hot here is an understatement. I got some stabilizer last week at Wal-Mart. It's no longer the HTH brand, it's Clorox, but in the same pool section. A 4lb bottle for about $19. The ingredients were 100% cyanuric acid. You definitely need it now. My CYA is at 50, may soon have to go to 60. We'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.