Need advice on pool pipe.

According to this forum SDR is thinner than sch 40, and would not be an acceptable substitute.
. Thanks for the reply crusemm. I found the same forum link but was curious as to why its okay for irrigation where they are pumping higher psi. Buried in the ground. SDR is just an acronym "standard dimension ratio". meaning ratio of pipe diameter to wall thickness of the pipe. its the 26 that matters and I agree it is a bit thinner walled. Is sch 40 pipe "code"?

Sch 40 has a pretty high pressure rating 180 psi, I think.

I am not sure just how high the irrigation piping is rated......do you know?.

Long story short, will you save hundreds? Probably far less and Probably not worth it in the long run. Pipes thinner than sched 40 break more easily if they are not properly supported when they are buried or the concrete decking shifts. Unless it was really big savons, I would stay with sched 40.

Sch 40 has a pretty high pressure rating 180 psi, I think.

I am not sure just how high the irrigation piping is rated......do you know?.

Long story short, will you save hundreds? Probably far less and Probably not worth it in the long run. Pipes thinner than sched 40 break more easily if they are not properly supported when they are buried or the concrete decking shifts. Unless it was really big savons, I would stay with sched 40.

160 psi is what this pipe is rated for. At 79 cents a ft it was pretty attractive. However if the pros say sch 40. Then this is the route I will take.

Schd 40 is the only way. Theres lots of cheaper pipe and it's used all over. They pipe pools with poly sprinkler flex line. Why chance it. Do you ever wanna dig up a busted line or deal with plumbing issues down the road over 200 bucks? Idk if you have suppliers near you nut 20ft sticks are cheaper than big box 10ft pieces and less couplings. You can use bell end pipe and save on fittings and cost there

Schd 40 is the only way. Theres lots of cheaper pipe and it's used all over. They pipe pools with poly sprinkler flex line. Why chance it. Do you ever wanna dig up a busted line or deal with plumbing issues down the road over 200 bucks? Idk if you have suppliers near you nut 20ft sticks are cheaper than big box 10ft pieces and less couplings. You can use bell end pipe and save on fittings and cost there

Appreciate the advice I was able to find some charts on the actual wall thickness between the two. If anyone cares I can post the differences. I was only entertaining the idea due to covid-19. Hopefully my farmer friend can source me schd 40 pipe as everything non essential is on lockdown. There are pipe suppliers I have dealt with around the corner. But again we are basically totally locked down.

If you need it for a repair, use it and maybe cutout and replace later. If you need it for a new build where replacing would be a PITA then wait. if it can't wait several months, use what you can get, but if everything else is locked down too, I don't see what the hurry is?

pipe pools with poly sprinkler flex line.
I have run in to a few of those. What were they thinking? Had one that had poly hose, barbed adapters, and hose clamps. Spent weeks locating and repairing all the underground leaking joints. Jackhammmering up sections of deck, hand-digging to reach pipes. Plugged main drain. Nightmare. Definitely do it right the first time, because you do not want that repair bill. And it had no warranty because it still had all that poly, now glued to barbs instead of sealed with lumps of rust that used to be hose clamps. Apartment complex didn't have the budget to replace the pipes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.