Need advice on main pump runtime/setup

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool is recent, less than month old. Pls look up details in my signature, main pump is variable.
When pool was filled, PB set pump to run 24x7 for 2 weeks, then pool school guy came and told me he is putting me on his default program.
I have the iAqualink where I can adjust all these settings and schedule.

But what I need to understand are:
- general guidelines about how pumps should run
- given my pool size and pump, what would you recommend I run the pump at?
- how long at higher speed (what rpm)
- how long at lower speed ( what rpm)
- any time for pump off time?
Any other recommendations will be great appreciated. Thank you.
So far, my water is crystal clear and pretty well balanced.

The first reason to run a pump is to generate your chlorine or disperse your chemical additions. It appears you do not have a SWCG so you are adding liquid chlorine when needed. So it takes about 1 hour of the pump running at a low speed to disperse that when added.
The next reason to run the pump is to skim the surface. You have to see what rate the pump needs to be run at to achieve that. How long each day depends on how much debris you get in the pool.
With your integrated spa it should be run for about 30 minutes twice a day in Spillover mode to add chlorinated water to it.
Time of year also changes how long you run the pump. Some during the winter only run their pump every other day or so. Some run their pump 24 hours per day at a low rate. It really depends on your pool. And what you wish to do.

Read the info in The link. Still does not answer my question.
Been looking at my iAqualink setup.
Looks like the vss run time is set for filtration, 8a to 8p. Startup speed is full speed, 3450rpm. For 3 minutes (prime time). Then I assume rp. Drops to whatever pool speed is set. In my case that shows as 2750rpm.
So does this mean, pump runs full speed 3 minutes, then throttles down to 2750 for nearly 12 hours. That looks inefficient. Water is sparkling clean but I want my pump set up so it is electricity efficient too. Thats why hope someone can advise how to set the schedule and rpm duration. Thanks.

Read the info in The link. Still does not answer my question.
Been looking at my iAqualink setup.
Looks like the vss run time is set for filtration, 8a to 8p. Startup speed is full speed, 3450rpm. For 3 minutes (prime time). Then I assume rp. Drops to whatever pool speed is set. In my case that shows as 2750rpm.
So does this mean, pump runs full speed 3 minutes, then throttles down to 2750 for nearly 12 hours. That looks inefficient. Water is sparkling clean but I want my pump set up so it is electricity efficient too. Thats why hope someone can advise how to set the schedule and rpm duration. Thanks.
As per recommendations in the TFP article, every pool is different and thus there is no set time or rpm that is universal to all.
Since it is winter in Austin, you probably do not need to run for 12 hrs. I am at 8 hrs now down in Houston area. The recommendation in the article is to go for 8 hrs to determine if that s sufficient for debris pick up and chlorination of your pool. Your VSP will always kick on at full speed to prime pump then drop down. You can lower the rpm to whatever you feel is necessary, Try 2750 for 3 hrs, then lower again for balance of time. This is somewhat trial and error dependent on how much debris falls in your pool, how and when you chlorinate. I run mine during the day because I still get sun on the pool in the morning. You may want to watch how sun hits your pool. It may be best to start early and shut down by early afternoon or start late and go into the evening. Also, this is just for winter. As the days start to get longer, you will need to switch to longer pump times maybe in excess of 12 hrs a day.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: mknauss
How do I set up multi stage run time? I looked in iAqualink for setup and do not see where I can say 'run at 3400rpm for 3 minutes, then 4 hours at 2500rpm, then 4 hours at 1900rpm'. I see schedule that says pick days to run, and set time (from what time to what time).
Below is what the pool startup folks did.
My main menu:
1607617591849.png

My schedule:
1607617629999.png

My vsp setup:
1607617689854.png

Speed setup from above screen:
1607617732729.png

Vsp speed setup (after click NEXT button above):
1607617784811.png

So these settings are not easy to interpret.
My questions are:
- which screen sets up run time
- which screen gives me ability to break run time into blocks at different rpms
- What is 'in floor' setting in last pic above
- Spa has 2 spillways into pool, so why is spa separated in above pic?
- I have pool, spa that spills into pool, and two waterfalls at the bar side
Any advice is greatly appreciated. My aim: adjust the run time if needed, so my pump can function more efficiently and I can learn how to control it.

This forum is freakin' awesome. Thanks so much for any help here.
Looking forward to more info on setup.
In the mean time, I know HermanTX you told me to leave TA alone, but after some research, trying to get it down a bit. Cant say how because if you dont know, you wont scream at me.
lol. Acid and aeration. Everything else seems to be in place, my FC, CC, CH (around 300 which supposedly is good), only thing waiting for is CYA, which will come from the pucks over time. Like I said, already spent money on it, might as well use it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only screen that you need to focus on is the schedule screen. This is where you determine what runs and for how long. You would simply scheduled what you want here.

When you add a line to that screen, if it has an associated pump speed, that is what you would set. You can keep your first line 8a - 8p for "filter pump", which uses "pool" as the speed. And then change that throughout the day adding various routines or speeds with the times you want those to run.

When a scheduled event is not happening, it will revert back to "filter pump" speed. If you want to set 5 different speeds you need 5 different entries on the scheduling screen.

Your "VSP Speed Setup" screen sets the keywords that will be used with other programs and macros to set that specific speed. "In-Floor" most likely was set up for an infloor cleaning system. "In-Floor" is also a keyword though and if you have an infloor cleaning system, usually this is enabled in the Aqualink under its own option in the setup screen. And just because the labels are here, doesn't mean anyone used them anywhere else. You can set whatever label you want on that screen.

You can see my schedule and what I do. I have "Filter Pump" which is set at 2000 (Pool) set to run 24x7 to produce chlorine all day. From 6-8a I bump my speed up to 3000 for better skimmer function. Then for 15 minutes from 7:45a-8:00am I activate my water features to exercise them.

Below that you see my speed settings. Temp1 and Temp2 are keywords that activate the heater. The heater requires a minimum speed to function properly so I set those at 3000 rpms. The other speed settings I don't use much.

Oh also you don't need to bump up your pump for 3 minutes on startup. It has its own builtin prime speed that is uses. This is pointless to set in addition to the pumps own priming function.

1607635552229.png
1607635715112.png

Reactions: HermanTX
BTW: You don't need the 2nd line "Pool" on your schedule. "FIlter Pump" automatically runs the pump at the "Pool" speed setting.

Awesome. I'll have to okay to observe.
Guess since filter pump pumps for both pool and spa, and the filter pump works for pool, so the second entry is just a duplication that doesn't do any extra, since phrase filter pump already does it. Cool.

To get this straight, on my screen, schedule Group A, I list overall duration of runtime for pump, in my case filter pump or feature pump, identifying time duration for the overall run time 8a to 8p).
Then on my screen VSP Speed Setup screen, I create keywords like pool waterfalls, etc where I pre determine what rpm that keyword runs the pump. Then I plug the keyword into the Schedule Group A screen and thats how it is determined, how long each keyword will run at the speed which was set for that keyword.
So I could make 5 keywords named Speed 3450, speed 3000, speed 2500, speed 2000, speed 1500, then plug each keyword into the schedule group a screen, defining how long each keyword will run for. No? Yes?

Last edited:
Awesome. I'll have to okay to observe.
Guess since filter pump pumps for both pool and spa, and the filter pump works for pool, so the second entry is just a duplication that doesn't do any extra, since phrase filter pump already does it. Cool.

To get this straight, on my screen, schedule Group A, I list overall duration of runtime for pump, in my case filter pump or feature pump, identifying time duration for the overall run time 8a to 8p).
Then on my screen VSP Speed Setup screen, I create keywords like pool waterfalls, etc where I pre determine what rpm that keyword runs the pump. Then I plug the keyword into the Schedule Group A screen and thats how it is determined, how long each keyword will run at the speed which was set for that keyword.
So I could make 5 keywords named Speed 3450, speed 3000, speed 2500, speed 2000, speed 1500, then plug each keyword into the schedule group a screen, defining how long each keyword will run for. No? Yes?

Yes this will work. However, you don't need to line-item the "Filter Pump" for 8a to 8p as a start. You can just put the pump speed you want. If your pump is running, your "filter pump" is running. I have it this way on mine, because I want the pool to run at at least 2k rpms 24x7 for chlorine production from my saltwater chlorine generator. It is an easy starting point. Be careful about changing keywords that already exist. And don't change or remove your "Pool Heat" and "Spa Heat" labels. They ensure that if you call for heat, the pump spins up to the proper speed for the heater. Although your speeds are probably higher than they have to. Your heater manual may tell you what they recommend for pump speed. In addition, don't change your "Pool" or "Spa" labels.

Also keep in mind any gaps in your schedule will cause the pump to re-prime. Not a huge deal but just be aware. This is another advantage to having the pump schedule line 1 on for the duration of the daily runtime. Any transitional speeds after this will merely change speed without stopping and starting the pump again.

As an FYI I noticed you have the Fusion. Is that the FusionSoft, or just the Fusion? We do not recommend using the mineral cartridge in the pool for any reason. I do not use the mineral cartridge for my FusionSoft I just use it for the Chlorine production. And while on the subject, if your pool is an outdoor pool, your UV provides no benefits.

I put this chart together to give you an idea of what it costs to run your pump at various speeds. You can see in many cases, reducing speed a little saves a lot on costs. 3450 to 3000 saves almost 1/2 the run costs. IMO 3450 is never required for any component and is why I modified my "Temp1" and "Temp2" to lower speeds.

vsp-costs.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Yes it is fusion2. However I removed the coper/silver cartridge from ut, placed the cap on the hole. And only use the chlorine tab from that unit.
The uv came with the package and before I knew better, but did more reading and uv penetrates water to about 18 inches, so I would imagine it still helps.

My pool does not have any trees near. Since fill up about month ago, I would say I found about 8 leaves in skimmers or surface total. Couple bugs and thats it. I will sure look into making some keywords named after rpms so I can tell in the schedule list, and will leave the filter pump 8a to 8p on list, so I don't have the re priming of pump during run time.
Have to see if I can have different schedule for summer, and different for winter. Would be nice. Great thanks again.

Thanks for your help.
Yes it is fusion2. However I removed the coper/silver cartridge from ut, placed the cap on the hole. And only use the chlorine tab from that unit.
The uv came with the package and before I knew better, but did more reading and uv penetrates water to about 18 inches, so I would imagine it still helps.

My pool does not have any trees near. Since fill up about month ago, I would say I found about 8 leaves in skimmers or surface total. Couple bugs and thats it. I will sure look into making some keywords named after rpms so I can tell in the schedule list, and will leave the filter pump 8a to 8p on list, so I don't have the re priming of pump during run time.
Have to see if I can have different schedule for summer, and different for winter. Would be nice. Great thanks again.

UV doesn't hurt is the main thing. With few trees for sure a cartridge filter would be good for you.

See below - you have 2 program groups and can schedule the changeover from one to the other. This is found under the "Menu" option.

1607775670240.png

I went to Jandy website and found my pump, which had a link to pump flow rates, for run time calculations.
Here is the Jandy run time(savings) calculator.

Took down various rates, at various RPMs. Compiled a schedule to run for my 'off season' schedule on the pool.
Hope the math and run time works, if you know what you are doing and feel like checking, let me know your opinion.
Greatly appreciate any help here.

My pump detail (main VS pump) is in my signature.
My pool volume if 34,000 gallons (as measured during fill at the meter, adjusted for other use).
There are no trees in pool vicinity, I usually pick up 5 stray leaves per week, from the skimmers (total). So not much debris falls into it, at least now.
Rates/RPMs (not all, site shows from 4350 down to 600 in 50 rpm increments):
  • 93.0 GPM at 3,450 RPM
  • 74.1 GPM at 2,750 RPM
  • 67.4 GPM at 2,500 RPM
  • 59.3 GPM at 2,200 RPM
  • 54.0 GPM at 2,000 RPM
  • 51.5 GPM at 1,900 RPM
  • 48.9 GPM at 1,800 RPM
  • 46.1 GPM at 1,700 RPM
  • 43.2 GPM at 1,600 RPM
  • 40.5 GPM at 1,500 RPM

So I thought, put a schedule together, for off season (Texas winter use), for the pool.
The schedule would be as follows:
  • Pump runs every day (7 days a week), from 8a-5p (9 hours a day)
    • 1st line in schedule - Pump on and priming (8:00a - 8:05a - 5 minutes) - @3,450rpm - 5 mins x 93 GPM = 465 Gallons
    • 2nd line in schedule - Pump runs at reduced rpm (8:05a - 12:00p - 235 minutes) - @2,750rpm - 234 mins x 74.1 GPM = 17,413 Gallons
    • 3rd line in schedule - Pump runs at reduced rpm (12:00p - 5:00p - 300 minutes) - @2,500rpm - 300 mins x 67.4 GPM = 20,220 Gallons
  • TOTAL WATER TURN OVER PER DAY: 38,098 Gallons
  • That is just over 4,000 gallons more than pool volume

That would give me just over 1 full turn over of water through the filter per day. Given that no one is much using the pool
  • Would you consider this be an adequate schedule?
  • Should I try to decrease rpm or run time, due to off season and no use?
  • Should I stick with turn over of about 1.5 times pool volume per day?
  • What would a schedule for summer (pool time schedule) look like, run times, volume turn over, etc?

Looking for advice and for a good starting point. My pool startup person put a schedule together, what they called 'their default new pool schedule'.
He told me that schedule runs pump 8a-8p (12 hours, every day, at rpm of 2750 non stop, which gives me turn over of 53,352 Gallons turn over through the filter daily.
I am kind of thinking he put this together as a cya procedure, cranking up run time and rpm, disregarding common sense, just to say 'hey, with our schedule pool looks clean'.
Thanks for advice from you fine folks.

ok, so I just revised my 'off season' schedule to:
  • Run 7 days/week; 9a-5p (8 hours)
    • 1st schedule line: On, priming at 3,450 rpm - 5 minutes (9:00a-9:05a) - 5 minutes x 93 GPM = 465 gallons
    • 2nd schedule line: Lower speed to 2,750 rpm - 175 minutes (9:05a-12:00p) - 175 minutes x 74.1 GPM = 12,967.5 gallons
    • 3rd schedule line: Lower speed to 2,000 rpm - 300 minutes (12:00p-5:00p) - 300 minutes x 54 GPM = 16,200 gallons
That will give me 29.632.5 gallons filtering each day.

The way my pool runs now, is that in pool mode, my spa spillways spill into the pool as long as the main pump is running. I would need to place pool into spa mode, to stop water in spa, from going over spillways. So this way, pump in spa is moving as long as pool water is moving.
What do you guys do with your pumps, how long do you run them off season (TX weather) at higher rpm, how long do you run lower rpm, what rpms do you lower to and how long does your pump run in off season per day?
When deciding, what do you aim for? Water clarity? What else (putting aside need to make sure pool/spa chlorinates well, and balances too)?
Trying to get some example base lines.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, for those familiar with the software:

1. I have (above) to control pool pumps, features, etc, where is the place where you can on the fly observe rpm of the main pump, and change it? I thought I saw a place, but now have been navigating through menus, and cannot find it.

2. For freeze protection,, should soa be run as well as water features and main pump? When my main pump runs, water returns to spa and spills over spillways, so did not think so, but just checking.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.