Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
My pool after 15 years has developed a crack in the concrete shell:
Crack.JPG
An overall view of the corner:
Overview.JPG
The crack also extends to the other side of the corner.
I need recommendations on how to stabilize the crack. Thank You in advance.

Do you have an expansion joint between your coping stones and your pavers?

You need to pull off the coping stones and tile on that corner and see if the bond beam is cracked. Chances are you need to remove that corner, epoxy some rebar into the stable structure, and pour a new concrete corner using some molds.

@AQUA~HOLICS may have ideas.

Reactions: Bperry
When constructed, the base was a thin layer of crushed concrete. The area in question has had a amount of subsidence over the years. No it is just leveling sand. However I agree that it looks like the pavers are the root cause. I am currently looking for a company to come and make repairs. The bigger question is how to prevent a repeat. How to make an expansion joint look good.

When constructed, the base was a thin layer of crushed concrete. The area in question has had a amount of subsidence over the years. No it is just leveling sand. However I agree that it looks like the pavers are the root cause. I am currently looking for a company to come and make repairs. The bigger question is how to prevent a repeat. How to make an expansion joint look good.

I think you may have a concrete footing supporting that house pillar by the pool corner that is putting pressure on the pool structure.

Concrete footer pressing on the pavers which presses on the pool structure.

There are only two full pavers between the footer and the coping.

Post a pic looking down at the corner pavers and coping. Does the pavers have any space between them?

Ok, some news. One company has responded. They want to remove the tile around crack (good), and then inject epoxy into the crack to stabilize it. I'm not sure about that approach. Wait on more responses.

The pavers are tight together. Under the pavers is sand. I believe that the pavers are exerting pressure against the copping, causing the crack. I am thinking of shaving about 1/8" off the sides of the pavers so they will no longer be touching the copping. Good idea or bad?

Ok, some news. One company has responded. They want to remove the tile around crack (good), and then inject epoxy into the crack to stabilize it. I'm not sure about that approach. Wait on more responses.

To me that is the cheap lazy fix that may not last. Epoxy is not going to resist future pressure on that area.

The more costly permanent fix is what I described in post #2. That should resist future cracking.

I am thinking of shaving about 1/8" off the sides of the pavers so they will no longer be touching the copping. Good idea or bad?

The space is likely to close up over time and recreate the problem if you do not install a 1/4" expansion joint filled with flexible mastic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am beginning to see the repair issue. It looks like the leak repair companies all use epoxy to fix cracks. It was suggested to look for pool remodeling companies to perform a more permanent repair.

ajw22: The pavers need to be removable because every several years I have to remove them to fill with leveling sand. So any type of expansion joint will have to be removable.

ajw22: The pavers need to be removable because every several years I have to remove them to fill with leveling sand. So any type of expansion joint will have to be removable.

Any flexible mastic expansion joint is removable. Scrape it out, remove the pavers, level the sand, reinstall the pavers, put new mastic in place.

Still have trouble finding a company to repair the pool. one of the issues, I think is the removal of the coping blocks. No easy way to do that. I an thinking:

1. Remove the water line tile around the crack using a chisel and hammer.
2. Drill 4 holes through the concrete shell about 7/8" x 12" deep
3. Install four rebars using high strength grout in the four holes for reinforcing.
4. Fill crack with high strength grout.
5. Re-install new water line tile.

Suggested locations of the holes:

Attachments

• Suggested repair.jpg
    Suggested repair.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.