Need Advice for Mustard Algea

ABKeisker

Aug 14, 2020
Louisville KY
I live in the Midwest and this is my first full season owning and operating an inground pool. It's a relatively small pool, right at 15000 gallons and I have always managed, by luck I suppose, to have crystal clear water which has always been balanced chemically. About 1-2 weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be a fine brownish yellow sediment on the bottom and sides and a cloudy appearance to the water. I brushed the surfaces throughly but the problem returned almost immediately and the cloudiness has worsened, leading me to believe this may be an algea bloom. The pool parameters were as they had always been and the chemistry seemed balanced at
T 84°F
FC 3ppm
pH 7.6
Alkalinity 30*
*(always has been on low end)
I use a chlorinator with tablets to maintain the Chlorine level, which I learned may lead to less FC. I do not have a test kit to assess CYA levels and I have been told that this value varies widely, even by pool stores. I decided to shock the water with Pool Shock liquid chlorine after using a granulated pool shock which I discovered later has a stabilizer resulting in lower levels of free chlorine to adequately address the algea issue. The stabilized shock did nothing to address the cloudiness or return of the algea. I also raised the alkalinity with an alkalinity riser to be in line with that needed to also address the issue. The current readings are:
T 82°F
FC >10ppm
pH 7.6-7.8
TA 60-100
I am running the pump/filter 24-7 now to filter as much out as possible and circulate the water more adequately. I'm uncertain if a regular cartridge filter (which I recently cleaned) will even filter out algea this small. Once the silt settles a bit and it quits raining, I plan to do a through vacuuming to remove as much algea as possible without stirring up the water to much. I also ordered Yellow Out from Amazon and would like any feedback I can get on this product. Is there anthing I am missing. How long before I begin to see the water return to that crystal clear that I've grown used to? Thanks for any input or advice. I really could use any help I can get.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Please do not use the Yellow Out product. Many of those contain sodium bromide. Adding that chemical will turn your pool into a bromine pool and require draining to properly manage your pool water chemistry.
Do read Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool. Your description does not really sound like mustard algae, but the cure is the same, the SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Please do not use the Yellow Out product. Many of those contain sodium bromide. Adding that chemical will turn your pool into a bromine pool and require draining to properly manage your pool water chemistry.
Do read Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool. Your description does not really sound like mustard algae, but the cure is the same, the SLAM Process
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I purchased a home with a pool years ago with a pool and I continued to have it managed by a pool service. I recently made a decision to take over management of the pool as I wanted to learn more about the process and felt more confident after finding this incredibly resourceful site. I have what I also think is mustard algae (and on several of my last invoices, I was billed for "Mustard Algaecide, quart." My question is, how would I know if they used sodium bromide in my pool?

Adding chlorine to a pool with bromide in it will activate the bromide into bromine. Bromine is not protected by CYA. So your pool would have a large chlorine demand to attempt to maintain an appropriate FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.