Need Advice - Breaking a PVC Weld?

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Last summer the forum helped me with a band-aid solution to fix a cracked collar in my pump suction that was preventing me from priming the pump. It was much appreciated. Now I need to actually fix the crack and wanted to see what suggestions the forum has for breaking the solvent weld in the pipe.

I cracked the collar on the union that connects my suction side piping to the pump. The crack can be seen in this photo , at the top of the fitting. I used a hose clamp last year to seal the crack, but it was a bit of a nuisance because it always lost prime when the pump shutoff overnight.

Unfortunately, the pool installer plumbed the system fitting to fitting so I might have to redo all of the suction side piping - & Piping is all 1.5” PVC, installed in 2015.

Before I redo it all, I’d like to try and replace just the one fitting. I’m thinking about cutting the union off as close to the cross joint as possible then try to remove the pipe remaining in the socket. I’ve searched the internet and there seems to be a few options to do this:

Option 1 - Cutting the pipe remaining in the socket into multiple pieces with a small hacksaw and then chiseling it out. – Seems pretty easy to destroy the fitting your trying to keep.

Option 2 – Wiping PVC Primer inside the remaining pipe and lighting it on fire to soften the pipe, then twist out with a pair of needle nose pliers – Seems pretty easy to destroy the fitting your trying to keep.

Option 3 – Heating a 1.5” hole and inserting it into the pipe, allowing the heat to soften the pipe, then twist out with a pair of needle nose pliers

Option 4 – Heat the inside of the pipe with a heat gun to soften the pipe, then twist out with a pair of needle nose pliers

So, I’m leaning towards options 3 or 4 and wanted to know if this was as easy as it seems to be in the youtube videos? Or, is there a better suggestion?
Worse case, I have to replumb the system and do it properly this time. Not the end of the world, just trying to save some time and money.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
I have removed pipe from fittings before. What I did is used a heat gun to soften the PVC pipe and then pry the inner pipe away from the fitting. The key is to heat the pipe more than the fitting so the fitting remains ridged.

There are several videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Option 5- If you have a dremel tool with a friction blade you can cut off the outer union nut, then surgically slice the remaining part of the fitting on 2 sides just short of cutting into the nipple. Then with some heat tap 2 chisels into the slits to spread the fitting and break the weld. The bonus to this method is if you do hurt the nipple then you can try a nipple extraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmcody
Food for thought on a complete redo.......Those ball valves usually go bad within five years. We have seen picture after picture of broken handles because the seals swell and become almost impossible to turn.

Consider replacing the whole assembly with jandy-type valves. They are pricey but will last forever.

Food for thought on a complete redo.......Those ball valves usually go bad within five years. We have seen picture after picture of broken handles because the seals swell and become almost impossible to turn.

Consider replacing the whole assembly with jandy-type valves. They are pricey but will last forever.
Thanks - The Jandy Valves are already in my future. The existing valves are already getting tough to turn, so if I redo the plumbing, I will incorporate one 2 way, and one 3 way jandy valve. I believe the 3 way valve can receive flow from 2 directions and send it out the third. If not, then its three 2-way valves. I started looking at the valves this winter when I was planning for this opening. I wish I could get a dimensional cut sheet on the valves that gave the laying lengths so I could redesign the piping. I called them and they said they didn't have a cut sheet.

I have removed pipe from fittings before. What I did is used a heat gun to soften the PVC pipe and then pry the inner pipe away from the fitting. The key is to heat the pipe more than the fitting so the fitting remains ridged.

There are several videos on YouTube on how to do it.
Yup, I've been watching the videos all day. Just looking for all options before I break the pipe.

Option 5- If you have a dremel tool with a friction blade you can cut off the outer union nut, then surgically slice the remaining part of the fitting on 2 sides just short of cutting into the nipple. Then with some heat tap 2 chisels into the slits to spread the fitting and break the weld. The bonus to this method is if you do hurt the nipple then you can try a nipple extraction.
Thanks for option 5. This is probably the way I'll go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the OD of the 1.5" fitting is the same as the ID of a 2" coupling. So you may be able to cut off the 1.5" pipe/union and insert at 2" coupling with a reducer to take the place of the union. You might lose the union, depending on what the space to the pump is, but it might save you a total rip out for several years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.