Need a little bit of "Pumps", "SWCG" and "Everything Else" help!

Jul 31, 2009
MO, US
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm in desperate need of replacing my single speed pump on my very basic, 40 year old, concrete block pool. We have no intention of adding anything to this pool, as we'll be moving on from this house sometime in the next 10-12 years and just had the liner/walls redone.

Signature below, but:
27000 gal constant slope vinyl liner pool
2 returns
1 skimmer
Sand filter
way too old single speed pump and mechanical timer

I'm looking for simple automation that will allow some oversight and schedule management, as well as adding a SWCG. I've been lurking in all the forums and reading everything I can.

As a result, I've narrowed things down to Pentair and eliminated the "Touch" products for several reasons (age, price in relation to newer products, etc.). That leaves me with the Intellicenter (overkill, I think) and Intelliconnect. I called Pentair and had a nice chat with someone there about the products, but did want to come here to hopefully firm up my decision.

Per the Intelliconnct manual and the conversation, an Intelliflo pump gets connected via RS45 and not a relay. This allows a appropriate Intelliflo variable speed pump to run at variable speeds and be managed by the app. If it gets connected to one of the two relays, the relay only offers on/off capabilities. An IC40 is also connected via RS45 ("green and yellow"??) but when using with the Intelliconnect, it requires a separate power supply (15 amps), as opposed to the Intellicenter, which has a power supply for an ICx.

Right track here?

My pool builder thinks that I won't get variable speed with an Intelliconnect, so I want to confirm that it will before I try to find a way to gently tell him that it will work. (And yes, the manual and Pentair should be enough, but the more information I have, the more confidently I can address the discussion!)

Also, I tried to establish whether I could use an IC60 but didn't really get a firm answer.... just that IC60 is for commercial pools. My preference would be for the IC 60.... is an IC40 just too small for my 27k gal pool?

I can get the extended warranty if I buy all three pieces (pump, automation, swcg) at the same time, regardless of when things get installed (sigh... supply chain). The pump is the critical piece, as right now, whenever the pump turns off, the pump lid blows because the threads are so worn on the basket. Means I can have the mechanical switch turn off the pump, but can not have the switch turn it on!

So final question, which Intelliflo pump is the best choice? I know there are some Intelliflo pumps that just don't work with the system (VF, etc.), but am more interested in the proper size. I was comfortable studying all the automation options, but the plumbing/sizing discussions just went in one eye and out the other. ;)

Any help, confirmation, etc. would be most appreciated!

Amy,

You want a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS, VST or VSF.. You do not want any IntelliFlo that has the SVRS option, nor do you want IntelliFlo i1 or i2.

The IntelliFlo only runs off of 240 Volts AC. What AC power does your current pump use?

The IntelliFlo is the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps and pretty hard to find right now.

The IntelliConnect will control the IntelliFlo, but will not control the smaller SuperFlo VS or VST.

There is no difference between an IC20, 40 and 60 other than the amount of total chlorine they can deliver. They all run off of the same External Power Center and the Power Center is what is connected to the IntelliConnect. The IC60 is not for commercial pools. Cells need to be rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: BowserB
To further elaborate...

With an IntelliFlo pump and an IntelliChlor Power Center connected to the IntelliConnect by the RS-485 communications you will have two available relays to sue for pool lights and other equipment.

The IC60 cell will work fine with the IntelliConnect and your 29K pool.

You will have VS control of your pump from the IntelliConnect Pentair Home app.

Get the IntelliFlo 011028 VS or 011056 VSF pumps.

MO -- is that Missouri? Can we assume you close your pool for the summer winter (whoops)?

Last edited:
Small note. For the Intelliconnect to control your Intellichlor settings, you must also have a separate temperature sensor installed. I was surprised to learn this, since the Intellichlor has its own temp sensor, but Pentair confirmed it was true (I always check dealer recommendations with Pentair!) Incidentally the only way to change settings and run devices manually is with the Pentair Home app, which unlike the previous Link2O, is only available for iOS or Android devices--not a Windows web browser. However, it will run with the Bluestacks 5 Android emulator for Windows, as will many other "phone" apps.

FWIW, here is what I have controllable via Intelliconnect: IntelliFlo VSF main filter pump, IC-40 chlorinator, MasterTemp heater, Booster pump (not currently used), Whisperflow pump for water features, and the Water temp sensor. The Intelliconnect also reports the air temperature but via Accuweather, not a sensor. What features these devices offer are more or less available via the app. As for the IntelliFlo pump, only four programs are accessible from the app, even though the pump itself supports up to 8 programs--in all fairness that hasn't been an issue for me, as I have two scheduled runs of the pump per day, a 15 minute 2700rpm timer run for mixing chemicals, and a manual cycle at 2400rpm used when we want to heat the spa in winter.

Thank you, everyone!

Yes, Missouri... and, yes, my pool gets closed for the winter.

And, Bill, that info is very helpful. I did the same.... called Pentair directly.

I wonder if having to add the extras to the Intelliconnect (Power Center, temp sensor, ??) ends up pushing it into the Intellicenter price range.

Another question - is the temp sensor required if you don't have a heater? I ask because in the heater section, the manual says:

"Wiring a Heater or Heat Pump Water Temperature Sensor -- When connecting a heater to the IntelliConnect Control and Monitoring System, a water temperature sensor (sold separately) must be installed between the filter pump and filter. Refer to the sensor manual for specific sensor installation instructions"

There's no mention of the temp sensor in the section on connecting an Intellichlor.

And then one more - does this mean that a separate Power Center is not required?

"When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via an RS-485 cable, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required."

Thank you all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question - is the temp sensor required if you don't have a heater? I ask because in the heater section, the manual says:

"Wiring a Heater or Heat Pump Water Temperature Sensor -- When connecting a heater to the IntelliConnect Control and Monitoring System, a water temperature sensor (sold separately) must be installed between the filter pump and filter. Refer to the sensor manual for specific sensor installation instructions"

There's no mention of the temp sensor in the section on connecting an Intellichlor.

@BowserB says for the Intelliconnect to control your Intellichlor settings, you must also have a separate temperature sensor installed.
And then one more - does this mean that a separate Power Center is not required?

"When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via an RS-485 cable, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required."

The Power Center is part of the IntelliChlor or iChlor system and is required unless it is integrated into an EasyTouch or IntelliCenter system.

Thank you, everyone!

Things are underway, with a VSF 3hp pump, an IC-60, power center, temperature sensor and an Intelleconnect. I suspect the VSF is a supply issue thing (as opposed to a VS) and since the cost seems to be comparable, I'm not gonna ask. I've been asking a lot! :)

These are all going on the same quote, and he will plumb to drop in the pieces as they are available. I'm crossing my fingers on the pump because that's the piece I need ASAP. He hasn't indicated any lengthy time for that, so maybe he has one in stock. Crossing fingers!

Reactions: Newdude
crossing my fingers on the pump because that's the piece I need ASAP.
I went through similar last year and when the pump arrived first, it was a huge relief. I was Ok mixing pollen filled, but sterile water. Then I found a filter and I was Ok having clean and sterile water while adding chlorine by hand. Then the IC60 came..... then the controller...... and. Yeah. I'm rooting for you :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.