Spring, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Well I turned water on to add a couple inches of water, walked inside, and completely forgot to turn off water. Went outside a few hours later and water is 1 inch from top of coping. Any reason I would need to drain any or can I let sun and kids lower the water over the next few days?

About 2/3 up the skimmer is as high as you'll want it or else you'll lose skimming. The equipment will be fine and so will the pool. Also, you have ALOT of water to splash out.

You may need to supply a large cooler of beverages and hold the first neighborhood belly flop competition.

• Haha
Reactions: jdlangley1
I would leave it. Evaporation could bring it down a few inches in a matter of a few days.

I just did the same thing only I didn’t realize until the next morning. Another time I left the multi-port on waste and the next morning about 50% of my water was gone. Talk about money down the drain.

Last edited:
You should be able to let your natural evaporation this time of year lower your water level and not lose any chemicals.

Your skimming may not work until the water gets a bit lower.

I've done that so many times with the pool, trees, etc I lost count. "I'll turn it off in a few minutes".....2 hrs later ....... :hammer:

Now I have Alexa to remind me. :)

I put a postit note saying "Water ON" on the sliding door from the kitchen out to the pool.

Cellphone for any water adding/removing, anywhere. Unless you're draining the bathtub. That one you can just wall away from and it will stop on its own.

I recently did a similar overfill...I used a hose to start a siphon drain and positioned the pool end of the hose in the skimmer at the level I wanted to drain down to. When it drained to that level it broke the siphon, stopped draining and left the water level where I wanted it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.