Nastiest DE filter ever?

FlaPoolGuy

Gold Supporter
Oct 5, 2019
Florida
Hey y'all, it's been a minute. I finally got around to doing a deep clean of my DE filter. I've been watching the pressure gauge, and doing a standard backwash as recommended based on level. This means that I haven't been doing much backwashing nor adding a whole lot of DE since the pool is inside a screened enclosure, and not much "stuff" gets into the pool.

Starting about a month or two ago, I noticed that there was some DE on the *exterior* of my filter, and it was coming from the pressure valve on the top. Ok, I told myself, I really, finally, have to crack open the filter and see what's inside. I probably need a new gasket, I thought. I purchased the "two gasket" set for the pressure valve plus a single gasket for the pipe connecting the filter grid to the PVC on the inside.

Today, I went outside this morning with my tools, and I decided to take off the top rather than start with the removal of the pressure relieve valve itself. Here is what I saw:

nasty_DE_filter1.jpg
nasty_DE_filter2.jpg

Yes, the filter is BURIED in DE and waste! And no, despite what it looks like, that's not a reptile sticking its head out of the top! To start, I removed DE by the handful to dig out the top. Unfortunately, it was too still heavy to lift. I looked, and essentially the filter was a giant mass of DE. It was solid DE in between all the filter elements all the way to the bottom. I had to open the bottom drain plug in the filter and go to town. After about two HOURS of running my garden hose with standard "free flow pressure" (no power washing, and not even a garden hose nozzle) on it, I was able to knock off enough DE to be able to lift the manifold and filter elements out and do the rest of the cleanout on the driveway. It turned into this when all was said and done:

clean_DE_filter2.jpg
clean_DE_filter1.jpg

I haven't reloaded it with DE yet- I'm running it without DE for now. I've noted for a long time that I have free floating "stuff" in the water which is especially visible at night with the pool light on. I'm now wondering if I have free-floating DE in the pool somehow, which I'm hoping will get caught in the filter, now that it's unclogged. Amazingly, I don't see any tears, gaps or holes in the filter, so kudos to Hayward. After running it for a few hours I'll open it up to see what new is trapped on the filter. I may end up taking the filter elements off the manifold for a closer inspection as well.

Anyway, have you seen nastier DE filter? And how often should I be popping the top to clean this bad boy? As always, thank you in advance for your advice/recommendations, and I hope you enjoyed my story!

-Jonathan

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Hey y'all, it's been a minute. I finally got around to doing a deep clean of my DE filter. I've been watching the pressure gauge, and doing a standard backwash as recommended based on level. This means that I haven't been doing much pressure washing nor adding a whole lot of DE since the pool is inside a screened enclosure, and not much "stuff" gets into the pool.

Starting about a month or two ago, I noticed that there was some DE on the *exterior* of my filter, and it was coming from the pressure valve on the top. Ok, I told myself, I really, finally, have to crack open the filter and see what's inside. I probably need a new gasket, I thought. I purchased the "two gasket" set for the pressure valve plus a single gasket for the pipe connecting the filter grid to the PVC on the inside.

Today, I went outside this morning with my tools, and I decided to take off the top rather than start with the removal of the pressure relieve valve itself. Here is what I saw:

View attachment 490442
View attachment 490443

Yes, the filter is BURIED in DE and waste! And no, despite what it looks like, that's not a reptile sticking its head out of the top! To start, I removed DE by the handful to dig out the top. Unfortunately, it was too still heavy to lift. I looked, and essentially the filter was a giant mass of DE. It was solid DE in between all the filter elements all the way to the bottom. I had to open the bottom drain plug in the filter and go to town. After about two HOURS of running my garden hose with standard "free flow pressure" (no power washing, and not even a garden hose nozzle) on it, I was able to knock off enough DE to be able to lift the manifold and filter elements out and do the rest of the cleanout on the driveway. It turned into this when all was said and done:

View attachment 490444
View attachment 490445

I haven't reloaded it with DE yet- I'm running it without DE for now. I've noted for a long time that I have free floating "stuff" in the water which is especially visible at night with the pool light on. I'm now wondering if I have free-floating DE in the pool somehow, which I'm hoping will get caught in the filter, now that it's unclogged. Amazingly, I don't see any tears, gaps or holes in the filter, so kudos to Hayward. After running it for a few hours I'll open it up to see what new is trapped on the filter. I may end up taking the filter elements off the manifold for a closer inspection as well.

Anyway, have you seen nastier DE filter? And how often should I be popping the top to clean this bad boy? As always, thank you in advance for your advice/recommendations, and I hope you enjoyed my story!

-Jonathan
While not the best looking filter, it is not even close to the worst that I have seen.
Having that much DE in the filter is the result of adding the full amount of DE after a backwash that you would normally add to a new, completely cleaned, filter. Backwashing never removes all the DE from the tank.

DE does not float, it will end up at the bottom of the pool if it gets into it. There will always be some particles that will show up in front of your light. They are called the "fines," too small to be caught by the filter.

What's your yard look like ? That shade looks like it's got some foliage to say the least. That's what will determine your cleaning schedule, based upon how much crud falls/blows in the pool.

The floaties are all but impossible to clear this time of year. They eventually find the filter but may hover in place for days. By the time they get sucked up, several more days worth has fallen/blown in and the process repeats.

we have large trees which are nearby, but not directly over the pool. The pool itself is in a screened enclosure.

Pool-left.jpg
pool-middle.jpg
pool-right.jpg

And upon reading the DE filter cleaning guide, I think I need to do at least the TSP soak since my grids are still greenish. And inspect for tears so I might as well take the whole thing apart.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
That'll certainly stop the bigger crud, but plenty of smaller stuffs still get through. Or also when you open the door.

Beautiful setup tho. (y)

Also my dishwashing detergent does not have TSP as an ingredient. No phosphorus at all as far as I can tell. From "The Spruce"

TSP has long been the go-to cleaning product for most home improvement-related projects. However, dishwasher detergents containing phosphates are banned in all 50 states, and laundry detergents are banned in a majority of states. The movement toward banning phosphates includes TSP in many states. For retailers offering TSP in states with bans, the penalty can be high, as a few major home centers have already experienced.

I'll just use what I have "Cascade advanced power with Dawn" and move on. Thanks again

My numbers are fine. The chlorine (I use "big jug o' chlorine" from local pool store) lasts longer in the winter and shorter in the summer. My FAS-DPD testing shows 0 combined chloramines, sometimes faint pink with a single drop (0.5 combined chloramines). But a strict, formal overnight test? Not in a long time. I haven't needed to- the water looks crystal clear, except during pollen season when the gunnite gets some yellow-green which is easily removable weekly with the scrub brush.

Incidentally when I took apart the manifold/grids, I noticed *four* of the tops of the DE filter grids are broken (I may have broken them trying to lift the whole thing out when it was too heavy? Who knows...) so I'm ordering a replacement set (7 long, one short). I'm in recirculate mode only until they arrive. I'll keep the non-broken grids for backup if/when needed in a pinch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.