narrow pool

hudsondds

Gold Supporter
Feb 15, 2020
Louisiana
I'm am going to put a pool and spa in my back yard. The problem is, due to the amount of space it can only be 10ft wide. I was originally planning on doing a 10ftx20ft rectangular pool w/ attached spa (so total about 10ftx30ft). The first guy I had come out to look said the price of the pool would be the same whether it was 10x20 or 10x40 due to them charging a minimum of 400 sqft. I feel like a pool this long and skinny might not look right, and with the lay out of the back yard I think a 10x30 would look better (but if I can get a bigger pool for the same price I don't know why I wouldn't). I have another guy coming on Tuesday to take a look. This is a pool for my family (1yo and 3yo currently). Any advice on my upcoming project? Is 10x40 too long and narrow? I've seen some pictures on google, but I can't really tell the width/length. I don't want a "lap pool". Anyone have any pictures of their narrow pools?
Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

My pool is only about 20 x 25 and I always wish it was longer.. It does not take many strokes to cover 25 feet.

Have you every used a gunite spa? If not, and that is the main reason you are installing a pool, I strongly suggest that you try one before you buy one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jseyfert3
We have had two narrow pools built for the same reasons as you. They came out GREAT. I will see if I can find the threads but don't hold out much hope of me finding them LOL

Share a picture of your yard so we can really see what you are working with.

You also need to check your local codes about windows and such. There might be a rule about what kind of glass and such you can have that close to a pool. Best to know up front what will pass inspection.

Kim:kim:

Yes, my parents have a hot tub attached to their pool. Pretty much every pool I've ever been in has been gunite (and its the only kind they will build in my area due to soil conditions). Spa is the same thing as hot tub right? The wife wants the hot tub, I want the pool to swim with the kids.

The pool would start at the pergola. 30 ft from the pergola is where the swing set is, anywhere past that and you can't see the pool from the porch which is why I was thinking 30ft would be as long as we should go. We are going to have to remove the trees.
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 75
I would suggest imagining a kidney shaped pool with the inside short curve going around the house a bit. I think turning the corner of the house and the curve mimics the yard more .....does that make sense??

Need more pics of the yard from further away, perhaps the entire yard if possible?

Maddie :flower:

Yes, my parents have a hot tub attached to their pool. Pretty much every pool I've ever been in has been gunite (and its the only kind they will build in my area due to soil conditions). Spa is the same thing as hot tub right? The wife wants the hot tub, I want the pool to swim with the kids.
Yes, spa is the same thing as hot tub.

Follow up question to @Jimrahbe's original question, since your wife is the one wanting the hot tub: Has she ever been in a gunite hot tub? I'm assuming yes, if your parents have one, but wanted to check. See, what I'm pretty sure he's getting at, is a gunite spa is, well, concrete. And sitting on a concrete bench in hot water with a few jets is better than nothing, but it's not the same as sitting in a standalone hot tub. For example:
full

That is our hot tub that came with the house (picture taken right after refilling after a drain to clean). As with most standalone hot tubs, it's molded plastic with lots of jets, and are available with more or better seating (such as his/hers loungers), or more or better jets (such as height adjustable neck/shoulder jets). Basically, they are better in almost every way vs a gunite hot tub for general soaking and relaxation. Downsides typically are, well, that they are ugly. Really ugly. You can make them look better by half setting them in a deck, but really, nothing looks nicer than a nice gunite spa set into a nice inground pool. I'd bet that looks are probably why most people give up the extra comfort and features of a standalone spa and go with a gunite spa. That or they never had a soak in a standalone spa...

If we ever put in an above ground pool in the future, I don't think we'd put in a gunite spa, unless it was only in addition to a standalone spa (for parties/guests), and not a substitute for one.

Reactions: BowserB
I'll take a hot tub (as in pic above) over a pool spa any day of the week. Better jets, hotter water, comfy seating. And in the summer when the babies were toddlers we used to leave the heat off and they considered it their own kiddie pool.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: jseyfert3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I think of hot tub I think of a gunite hot tube. She just wants the hot water. I have never been in a spa like that one, but it does look much more comfortable. I could possibly put something like that right off of the porch, but then we probably wouldn't have enough room for the pool... would save a lot of money, but I really want the pool for the kids.

Yes, spa is the same thing as hot tub.

Follow up question to @Jimrahbe's original question, since your wife is the one wanting the hot tub: Has she ever been in a gunite hot tub? I'm assuming yes, if your parents have one, but wanted to check. See, what I'm pretty sure he's getting at, is a gunite spa is, well, concrete. And sitting on a concrete bench in hot water with a few jets is better than nothing, but it's not the same as sitting in a standalone hot tub. For example:
full

That is our hot tub that came with the house (picture taken right after refilling after a drain to clean). As with most standalone hot tubs, it's molded plastic with lots of jets, and are available with more or better seating (such as his/hers loungers), or more or better jets (such as height adjustable neck/shoulder jets). Basically, they are better in almost every way vs a gunite hot tub for general soaking and relaxation. Downsides typically are, well, that they are ugly. Really ugly. You can make them look better by half setting them in a deck, but really, nothing looks nicer than a nice gunite spa set into a nice inground pool. I'd bet that looks are probably why most people give up the extra comfort and features of a standalone spa and go with a gunite spa. That or they never had a soak in a standalone spa...

If we ever put in an above ground pool in the future, I don't think we'd put in a gunite spa, unless it was only in addition to a standalone spa (for parties/guests), and not a substitute for one.

As an alternate viewpoint, I owned a stand-alone hot tub like that and now prefer my 8’x8’ gunite hot tub that gives plenty of room to move around. In a hot tub like yours my wife and I would end up playing footsie. I like space to stretch and move around in and not be confined to a contoured seat. I also like having room for 4 or more people without being cramped.

A gunite spa is no additional maintenance with all the water chemistry being handled by the pool.

There are pros and cons to both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe
I added a photo from when I first got the house and a google maps satellite view. Wish I had know I was going to want a pool when I first got it (although then I probably would have bought a house with a pool already) bc the pergola takes up the best spot for a pool. I now have a car port and pergola in the way (can see it in the google maps picture). I'll get some more pictures tomorrow but figured these might give you a better idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1485 (2).jpg
    IMG_1485 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Here’s a pic of my 15x40 pool during install. Build still isn’t complete so I don’t have a finished pic to send but thought this might help you visualize. Our pool is about 15 feet from the house, we had a setback rule that required us to stay skinny on the pool.

Attachments

• 7512054B-1EEF-4F85-8980-CADA47B0D85B.jpeg
    7512054B-1EEF-4F85-8980-CADA47B0D85B.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 44
Added some more pictures to get a better idea. I really think between pergola and swing set is the only good spot w/o having to move pergola and demo that concrete. Any recomendations/advice on getting started appreciated. I originally thought about doing something in the side yard, but after thinking about it figured I wouldn't because you cant see that from the porch. I also am pretty sure the power line comes into the house over there, so that wouldn't be an option anyways. IMG_1491.jpg
Thanks,
Chris
IMG_1487.jpgIMG_1488.jpgIMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.