Mysterious 2 inch pipe

itsaaron

Mar 14, 2024
Dallas TX
There’s a capped 2 inch pipe sticking a couple feet out of the ground. I have no idea what it’s for, and neither does my pool guy. The equipment is around the corner from this behind the short wooden fence you can see on the picture. I cut the cap off the pipe and ran some water down the pipe, to see if I could see it go anywhere like the curb but it just vanished to nowhere. I theorize that the old homeowner moved the pool equipment from this location, and this could be a remnant pipe from the old system… Anybody have any idea what this is for? Can I cut it down low and cap it off or bury it?

Attachments

• IMG_3083.jpeg
    IMG_3083.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 54
Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a spa on your pool?

IT could be an air intake to venturi jets in your pool or spa. Or it could be a suction limiting vent pipe that is required in some jurisdictions.

Does your pool have a single main drain?

If so, don’t cut that pipe as it could a suction limiting vent pipe.

When you cut the cap off the pipe, was there a small slit in the PVC or some kind of vent hole??
Thanks for responding! I think you could be right.

YES! The pool has two main drains.

I did not see a vent on top of the cap. There is a drywall screw in the top of it. It looks totally sealed off.

It looks like it could be the suction limiting vent pipe! Should I leave it uncapped or put a special cap with a vent on it?

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpeg
    IMG_3087.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3089.jpeg
    IMG_3089.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to TFP.

Do you have a spa on your pool?

IT could be an air intake to venturi jets in your pool or spa. Or it could be a suction limiting vent pipe that is required in some jurisdictions.
YES! There is also a spa. The spa has a main drain, seperate booster pump with its own suction that somehow ties into the return jets, and an air blower.

Have you tried running the spa air blower with that pipe uncapped?

If they relocated the equipment that may be the old spa blower pipe that they connected to and ran a new pipe.

There is no way for us to guess at the function of that pipe better then you.

I woudl leave well enough alone and assume if the pipe could have been removed someone would have done it before you..

It might not have anything to do with the pool.

All we can do is speculate.

If you put water in the line, does it come out from anywhere in the pool?
You are right, I am not sure if it has anything to do with the pool or not! But is 2" so it makes be think it could be pool related.

Its definitely not connected to my storm drains, because when I stuck a hose down it, ran for 15 minutes, and couldn't see any water flowing to the curb out of the landscape discharge line. Id have to like drain the pool I would think, to see an effect in the pool? I put my ear on the pool equipment pipes and didn't hear any flow of water. How would you test it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you tried running the spa air blower with that pipe uncapped?

If they relocated the equipment that may be the old spa blower pipe that they connected to and ran a new pipe.

There is no way for us to guess at the function of that pipe better then you.

I woudl leave well enough alone and assume if the pipe could have been removed someone would have done it before you..
I will try to run the blower with the pipe uncapped and see if I feel air flowing out of it.

I honestly have no idea what this pipe is-- I tested it by running water down it. Just looking for ideas-guesses from you guys or ways to test it.

I did a big renovation on this house and there was tons of old water lines, pipes, old landscape lights/features that I had removed/repaired and this is one of the last things left that is still a mystery. I'd rather delete it if it serves no purpose.

UPDATE-

Blower- Turned on the blower and no air felt going into or out of the PVC pipe.
Pumps - Turned on all pumps and no water coming out of the PVC pipe.

Pool functioning fine with the PVC pipe capped or uncapped.

So, I either think its tied into my sewer line or its a suction limiting pipe which was capped for some reason. To me not worth digging done to see where it goes. Thats going to create a bunch of mess and Id have to reinstall the turf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support