My SWCG is down and I need to temporarily switch to tablets

hawkmoon7

Nov 27, 2020
Florida
My Intellicenter needs to be replaced and we don't know how long it will take to get a new one sent. In the meanwhile, my SWCG is offline. I've been adding bleach in daily, but now it looks like it's going to be awhile before things are up and running again. I'm thinking of adding tablets into the skimmer, but I have no idea how much or how often or if it's even a good idea. Pool is 16,700 gallons. CYA is around 55-60.

Thank you.

If you are sure your current CYA is not too high, then using tabs is okay. But with a salt pool, your CYA should've been at least 70, so it's already approaching the high end. If so, you can't use tabs very long. Liquid chlorine each day would be your best bet. Be sure to confirm your CYA with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. If you do use tabs, place them in a floater, never directly into the skimmer.

Thank you. I do use the TFP Test kit. I did not know about the skimmer vs floater, but it certainly makes sense to avoid high chlorine levels going directly into the system. CYA is, as you know, subjective in that I'm not great at reading the exact moment the dot disappears. I checked this morning and think I'm just under 60. So maybe I'll use some tabs until it is 70, and then switch to liquid. I'm assuming at 70 CYA I should be around 4 to 5ppm chlorine?

I'm assuming at 70 CYA I should be around 4 to 5ppm chlorine?
Actually a little higher since you'll be managing your pool as a non-salt pool for chlorination purposes. With a CYA of 70, the recommended FC range is about 8-10 and no lower than 5. That's because instead of the convenient additions of chlorine gas from the SWG every 90 minutes or so, you're changing to a one-time daily addition of liquid chlorine or perhaps tabs, so the requirement changes. See the FC/CYA Levels.

Reactions: hawkmoon7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.