My son was Pool stored šŸ˜¬

Oscar G.

Gold Supporter
My son had a pool built a few months ago and he is using the ā€œtake a sample to Lesliesā€ maintenance program lol.

He asked me to take a look at the results and I was very surprised his TA reading is zero. Of course they sold him ā€œalkalinity upā€, aka baking soda at an inflated price. He also bought something to reduce phosphates lol.

Heā€™s returning all of it and Iā€™m going to test his water later today. If my tf100 yields similar TA and PH readings, Iā€™ll come back with questions. šŸ˜

Attachments

• 931963A6-BAB4-430E-A842-A185A0C69739.jpeg
    931963A6-BAB4-430E-A842-A185A0C69739.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 158
Your sons test results all say he is chlorinating with Trichlor.

Find a reason to give him a Circupool SWG like yours as a present. It will fix a lot of his water balance problems.

My son had a pool built a few months ago and he is using the ā€œtake a sample to Lesliesā€ maintenance program lol.
50 lbs of trichlor in a 25,000 gallon pool will:

Raise fc by 219 ppm

Raise CYA by 133 ppm

Raise salt by 179 ppm

Lower TA by 154 ppm

If we assume 4 months of trichlor use and about 2 ppm FC per day, it's possible that the TA is indeed zero or below zero.

The pH of 6.9 is probably as low as they can test and the pH is likely to be below 4.5.

Based on the CYA level, the TA is probably below zero.

Check the fill water readings.

1657040395422.png

Reactions: mgtfp
Your sons test results all say he is chlorinating with Trichlor.

Find a reason to give him a Circupool SWG like yours as a present. It will fix a lot of his water balance problems.
And apparently trichlor with copper in it, if the copper results are to be believed.

Has he been using tabs with the word blue in the name? Or any 3in1 or 4in1 product? Copper algaecide or a floating solar pool ionizer and purifier (possibly from Costco)?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Just as well you might not need the test kit, if we believe the Copper and CYA readings. Arm yourself with a sump pump and help him drain and refill and just start fresh. This will save you time, money and body aches.

Reactions: KJB1 and Mdragger88
50 lbs of trichlor in a 25,000 gallon pool will:

Raise fc by 219 ppm

Raise CYA by 133 ppm

Raise salt by 179 ppm

Lower TA by 154 ppm

If we assume 4 months of trichlor use and about 2 ppm FC per day, it's possible that the TA is indeed zero or below zero.

The pH of 6.9 is probably as low as they can test and the pH is likely to be below 4.5.

Based on the CYA level, the TA is probably below zero.

Check the fill water readings.

View attachment 432247
Iā€™ll have him bring a fill water sample as well, thanks

Clorox xtrablue tabs

They contain copper that has been accumulating in the pool water.

He needs a major drain of most of his pool water to clear the copper and the CYA and start fresh.

Where is your son located?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IF the copper level is correct, or near correct, raising the pH may push it to staining the surface. So the drain/exchange is a good idea knowing the copper containing trichlor has been being used.

Reactions: Oscar G.
Oh wow, didnā€™t realize it was that serious! Iā€™m sure it would need to be an exchange with temps approaching 110 here in Phoenix
If there is a heater installed, that also could be a source of copper due to the very low pH environment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.