My pump whines but only at night

Auburn02

Oct 8, 2019
Mobile, AL
The basic gist of my pump schedule is 2 hours in the morning at 2300RPM, then 10 hours at 1400, followed by another 2 hours at 2300 before shutting off until the cycle starts again the next day. During the first 2 hours at 2300, no whining. 10 hours at 1400, no whine. But some days - not every day - during the last 2 hours at 2300, I’ll get this very rhythmic whine. I hope this video captured it, been having a lot of trouble with my iPhone microphone not working lately.

My assumption is it has something to do with running all day at low RPM so maybe it doesn’t have quite enough prime or “oomph” to push back up to 2300 without a full reprime, as opposed to the first 2 hours at 2300 which has the benefit of the 5 minute prime cycle. That also might not make any sense.

I’m torn with just getting rid of the faster cycle at the end of the night and settle for a couple extra hours at the much lower setting, or changing the third cycle to a higher rpm and just run that for 30 minutes or so and see how that works. The objective here is a couple hours of good skimming early, run low all day to just generate chlorine and circulate, then a couple hours late to skim anything that didn’t find its way into the skimmer all day. But I don’t have automation so I’m at the mercy of only having three cycles I can configure in my Superflo schedule.

Any ideas on the sound and the theory behind it, and suggestions on what I should try to alleviate it? It’s so high pitched and has such a perfectly consistent rhythm, when we were out of town over Thanksgiving our neighbors called us becaus they thought it was some kind of alarm going off at our house. :oops:

My 2-speed has been doing something like that for a couple years now. I'm thinking bearings. In my case, it usually happens on chilly days or nights which must have an ever-so-slight impacts on the bearings and/or motor parts rubbing together. I can bump up the motor to high speed and it may stop for a while. Or if it's cold enough, the whine (high pitched squeal) might return.

How old is your motor?

I am not too familiar with the SuperFlo VST, but can't you just have a gap between the end of the 10 hour 1400 period and the start of the 2300 period? If you did that I would assume the pump would reprime.

Not at all sure priming is going to help as I don't understand why the pump is making noise at all... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

How old is your motor?
Just about 1 year exactly from when it was first installed and turned on, so not old enough that I'd expect a failure. I'll have to pay closer attention to the weather when it happens. The unfortunate end is I can't duplicate it on a whim, like if I go out right now and set it to 2300 I bet it won't happen.
I am not too familiar with the SuperFlo VST, but can't you just have a gap between the end of the 10 hour 1400 period and the start of the 2300 period? If you did that I would assume the pump would reprime.
To my knowledge I can't, or at least not with the built-in schedule. Probably could with automation. It's a 3 speed program so it rolls directly from 1>2>3. Essentially you set the start time for the schedule, then the speed and duration for the 3 speeds/cycles. You don't set the individual start times for each cycle.

Haven’t noticed it for a number of days but the whine is back again tonight and the temp is in the mid-40s. Seems the cold could be a factor, but still not clear what to do about it. Not about to start messing with it now, I guess when we get some cool days with daylight temps in the 40s I’ll take a look and see if I can isolate it.

From what I gather if it is a bearing issue already after only one year, Pentair pumps only have a 60 day warranty (compared to 3 years for Hayward)? That’s unfortunate.

Last edited:
Pentair pumps only have a 60 day warranty (compared to 3 years for Hayward)? That’s unfortunate.

A,

You are not comparing apples to apples.. Pentair's 60 day warranty is for a DIY install and I believe that Hayward is the same.

Both Pentair and Hayward offer a 3 year warranty when purchased as part of a package and installed by a dealer..

Companies don't make warranties based on their own products but based upon what other companies offer.. If Hayward offered a 5-year warranty, so would Pentair.. And, if Hayward only offered a one day warranty, so would Pentair. Warranties are just sales tools.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good to know Jim, thanks. A quick google search result showed those two numbers and that’s all I was going off of so far. I’ll contact my builder, assuming I can duplicate the noise on a cold day and have him come by.

Can you feel the vibration ? Say on the back plastic cover that might shrink ever so much when the temps get cool ? My back cover would make a similar noise at times and I’d touch it for a second and the noise would go away. Then I’d go about my way happy it was just a harmless vibration.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.