My pump is a complete mess, looking for advice

Our equipment pad has a 1" grounding stake in the ground next to it it that is sticking up about 4 inches out of the ground. The bonding wires are attached to it. May want to look around to see if you seeing anything like that. The bonding wire to the equipment may have broken off at that point.

Technically that's not bonded since bonding and grounding are different things. I have heard in Canada all bonding eventually ends up at the ground
but that's not in any USA codes I'm aware of.

Gwegan and Danpik are much more familiar with this then I am, perhaps they will weigh in.

So after contacting the city we finally found out the pool was originally built in 1981. I'm guessing that far back it's definitely not bonded.

So I guess now the question is what do I do about it? I imagine digging up the patio to put in a bonding ring and bond everything is going to cost me a small fortune.

you said you had a ladder in the deep end, is it metallic that goes in the water? if not, then you will need some sort of 9" surface area equivalant to bond
the water as well. There are a number of UL listed add ons for skimmers to accomplish this and a few of them are on amazon.

I would at least try to bond the water and the ladder to your pump bond lug(even if it's just metal rails on the deck) this will require some jack hammering near your skimmer and ladder most likely. I'm just thinking out loud and there may be another way to accomplish it but I don't think you need to demo your entire deck
at this moment.

I would definitely bond the water and the rail if it were my pool. In the meantime if you have a heater I would get a length
of #8 bare copper wire to tie it to your pump at the very least for now.

The ladder in the deep end is metal and extends into the water . The shallow end has a rail but it doesn't go into the water. There is no heater or light on this pool. The coping on the pool is aluminum though so that's another issue. There is also a diving board, but I plan on removing that anyway.

and by the way my home inspector did a lousy job as well...when I went to sell the house the buyer's inspector found all kinds of issues my inspector hadn't.
and the separate pool co inspector mentioned nothing of attaching my then loose bond wire to the pump. He did though point out the malfunctioning
GFI to the pool light which I was able to fix myself later (the connection was backwards just as yours was)

At the VERY least what I would do is bond the shallow end hand rail and the deep end ladder (both at their anchor points in the decking) to the pump motor. This shouldn't cost too much, mainly your time and some copper wiring.

I have no metallic coping so I can't suggest how to bond that aspect.

Turns that green wire isn't hooked to anything. After reading what bonding is, I looked around the pump area and I don't see any bare copper wires sticking up anywhere. I'm starting to suspect the pool isn't bonded. What really annoys me is we paid extra for a pool inspection when we got the house inspected and all they caught was the missing conduit on the pump. Nothing about what appears to be a lack of bonding, or the fact that the Gfci doesn't do anything. I paid for that because I thought someone who knew what I didn't know would look out for these things, apparently I was wrong. This was a house inspector that advertises pool inspections as part of what they do.

So I guess I addition to the pump issue I've now got to figure out if the pool is bonded? Other than ripping concrete out is there some way to figure this out?

I see these types of problems all the time (and so many times the inspectors miss it). Also, it's going to be fun working on the motor (it looks very close to wall... reminds me of a job I did here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppS1pzmeO4 (may be helpful if you upgrade your equipment). I would definitely up the voltage on the pump and install a grounding rod for the equipment (pretty cheap / easy to do). Good luck.

wow I bet you couldn't have slid a piece of paper in there between the motor and house!

interesting about the metal ball valve in the ground.

I have a 2 inch pvc fitting right out of the concrete then one of those on my intake as well.

dumb. no idea why it's there, but too afraid to do anything about it since I have so little pvc
below it at the pad. So there it will lay for eternity unless it causes problem later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.