My project pool in FL that needs a lot of work.

Jun 7, 2017
Wellborn, FL
20170607_131742.jpg

This is my project pool. 18x36x8. I just but the home a month ago and am now starting to tackle the pool. Here in FL we have had a ton or rain so I keep draining it to get to the 6" or muck and leaves on the bottom. Today I dumped 3 gallons of bleach along the edges to help kill the plants and algea growth along with the algea in the water. The frogs were not happy. They came flying out of the holes at the top of the vermiculite/bottom of wall.

Anyway this is my start. I have a liner ordered and will be here in 3 weeks. I also ordered a Pentair Intellaflow, clean&clear 150, & Intellachlor.

- - - Updated - - -

20170608_150617.jpg

1hr after the 3 gallon bleach bath.

Welcome to TFP! Looks like quite the project. With a new liner you'll be up and running in no time. Looks like you need a diving board too. While you wait for the liner and test the equipment, be sure to read pool school and get a TF100 test kit on the way!

Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

I just completed a project just like yours last year during the hottest part of the summer. It was rough work but it took us 3 days to complete. I was worried that installing the liner would be the hardest part but don't fret over that, it's the easy part and extra hands help out a ton but it can be done with two people.
First tip I would advise is to get very accurate numbers when measuring for a new liner. There are a few helpful vids on YouTube that I watched to help you understand how that is done. I watched a ton of them and learned little tidbits on each one. One thing you don't want to mess up on is the sloped surfaces when measuring. This is a little confusing but they need the lateral distance of the slope, not the distance of the slope itself. You will see what I mean in the videos.

While you are waiting on your liner you can be cleaning pools sub-surface. It looks like yours maybe concrete or possibly hard sand type surface. (I can't remember what the second surface is actually called). Either way you will need to clear it of everything. Bleaching the moss is what I done to mine too. Once dead I could run my fingers with some elbow grease and get the most of it off. Pull all of the weeds out too. Roundup, as suggested earlier, is a great idea too to make sure everything is dead. Be maticulous about cleaning the floor because you can feel everything through the liner.
Once cleaned you will need to patch repair the floor if it has any significant divots in it. Prolly not likely in a cement floor but with the sandy type surface I had, it was necessary. If this is what you have, you can talk with someone at the company you call to order the liner and they can suggest patching material for you. I used this Marshalltown 14 in. x 4 in. Blue Steel Pool Trowel-Resilient Handle-PT144R-HD - The Home Depot and it was easy to trowel on this mixture. I think mine was a mixture of masonary sand and cement but can't remember the ratio. Then mist with water to get it somewhat pasty so it would stick to the slopes surfaces. Also clean the main drain, skimmer, and return plates too. You don't want any old gasket material or sealer on there when installing new liner.

For installing the liner Youtube is great again. Doheny's has a great video and a guy named Bill Tate has a great one too. This is pretty easy too. Tips, would be to make sure your corners all get lined up and in place and if you have to get in the liner, do it in sock feet. You will need a shop vac or vacs to suck the liner down while filling the pool. (You'll see how to in the videos.) Make sure the liner is exactly where you want it before filling. If it's not turn off vacs manipulate the liner slightly working wrinkles from center of pool to the bottom of the walls. Then turn on vac(s) again.
Only cut the liner for main drain after you have almost a foot of water in the bottom of pool and and the ring is screwed in place. Don't cut anything else out (slimmer, steps, or returns) until the water is just below their level.

I hope this helps you out and also that it was the kinda tips you were looking for....

I just completed a project just like yours last year during the hottest part of the summer. It was rough work but it took us 3 days to complete. I was worried that installing the liner would be the hardest part but don't fret over that, it's the easy part and extra hands help out a ton but it can be done with two people.
First tip I would advise is to get very accurate numbers when measuring for a new liner. There are a few helpful vids on YouTube that I watched to help you understand how that is done. I watched a ton of them and learned little tidbits on each one. One thing you don't want to mess up on is the sloped surfaces when measuring. This is a little confusing but they need the lateral distance of the slope, not the distance of the slope itself. You will see what I mean in the videos.

While you are waiting on your liner you can be cleaning pools sub-surface. It looks like yours maybe concrete or possibly hard sand type surface. (I can't remember what the second surface is actually called). Either way you will need to clear it of everything. Bleaching the moss is what I done to mine too. Once dead I could run my fingers with some elbow grease and get the most of it off. Pull all of the weeds out too. Roundup, as suggested earlier, is a great idea too to make sure everything is dead. Be maticulous about cleaning the floor because you can feel everything through the liner.
Once cleaned you will need to patch repair the floor if it has any significant divots in it. Prolly not likely in a cement floor but with the sandy type surface I had, it was necessary. If this is what you have, you can talk with someone at the company you call to order the liner and they can suggest patching material for you. I used this Marshalltown 14 in. x 4 in. Blue Steel Pool Trowel-Resilient Handle-PT144R-HD - The Home Depot and it was easy to trowel on this mixture. I think mine was a mixture of masonary sand and cement but can't remember the ratio. Then mist with water to get it somewhat pasty so it would stick to the slopes surfaces. Also clean the main drain, skimmer, and return plates too. You don't want any old gasket material or sealer on there when installing new liner.

For installing the liner Youtube is great again. Doheny's has a great video and a guy named Bill Tate has a great one too. This is pretty easy too. Tips, would be to make sure your corners all get lined up and in place and if you have to get in the liner, do it in sock feet. You will need a shop vac or vacs to suck the liner down while filling the pool. (You'll see how to in the videos.) Make sure the liner is exactly where you want it before filling. If it's not turn off vacs manipulate the liner slightly working wrinkles from center of pool to the bottom of the walls. Then turn on vac(s) again.
Only cut the liner for main drain after you have almost a foot of water in the bottom of pool and and the ring is screwed in place. Don't cut anything else out (slimmer, steps, or returns) until the water is just below their level.

I hope this helps you out and also that it was the kinda tips you were looking for....

Wow thank you for your input and advice.

I'm going to have the liner professionally installed. I already had a company come out and measure it.

The pool bottom is vermiculite. I do want to do a lot of the cleanup and patch work myself.

With it being vermiculite I would not get too aggressive with the brush. I think bleach and water will do it just fine.

Froggies and such---------net and a bucket ready to put them in and a place to take them to after you catch as many as you can.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20170610_162725.jpg

Ok I'm in need of more help. We have it pumped down to about 6-8 inches and it was 80% leaves,muck,& sludge. Using a rake to pull up the leaves we took out 6-5gal buckets full of leaves. Its 91F here with the sun beating down so we had to call it quits. Doesn't seem like it made a dent. My garden hose sump pump ($99 lowes) one can't pull up the sand and mud.

Any tricks here?

- - - Updated - - -

With it being vermiculite I would not get too aggressive with the brush. I think bleach and water will do it just fine.

Froggies and such---------net and a bucket ready to put them in and a place to take them to after you catch as many as you can.

Thank you. Good deal. Thankfully I didn't get that far I guess.

You might need to check one of the construction rental places if HD does not have one. Did you ask HD if they had any trash pumps? This is a pump that will pull the trash up and out.

IF you cannot find one then we will have to come up with some creative ideas that might be yucky!

Hey, use to do liners all the time in NJ. Best thing at this point if ya sub pump isn't doing the job is getting a shop vac. (make sure you take out the filter in the vac) Vacuuming it all up and hauling the crud out of the pool. It can be back breaking but that's what I did at this point. Once you get everything out of there you can do the patch work which you would have to mix vermiculite (75%) and cement (25%).

If you are getting a professional to put in the liner for you, he should do that part for you just to let you know.

I don't know what it would cost, but you could have an industrial vac truck come out. It'd get that mess out of there in a hurry.
fdb2ef3b68ec5ecf541566c78dd33c58.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.