Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2019
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool is about to go up in smoke, literally! Last week I noticed my pool cover was burned. I assumed it was from the leaf embers that might have blown over. Fast forward a few days and I can see it getting worse. Today the wife calls me out and says the pool is smoking! Sure enough we get out there and realize that our 2nd story, bay window is reflecting enough to focus the sun's energy and is burning the pool cover and the pool. I stand in front of the "spot" and about burned the back of my neck.

This is only a "winter" time sport as the sun is lower on the horizon which gives it the perfect environment to reflect the sun onto the side of the pool. The rail was so hot it blistered when you touched it briefly. I guess the windows DO reflect UV light as they sold me on. Now I need to stop it :)

IMG_8689.jpgIMG_8692.jpeg

Update: Good news! Sun’s axis moved slightly and now it’s a pool heater! Best solar cover EVER!

3526DAF0-6429-4CF2-8246-C2185A9AA1D1.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s pretty cool ... well ... hot I guess. If you had installed the pool a few closer to the house you’d have your own solar powered pool heater....

Reactions: merc123
Wow. Amazing. If you can't get the film to work (or last), a storm shudder would. It'll let in light, and allow some view of the yard, but should block the sun at that angle.

ef63e64a_bahama_hurricane15.jpg

It's more common than most people know. Vinyl siding is the most often affected product. Some pool liners have been burned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought a film to go over the outside of the window. It'll afford bathroom privacy also since the kids decided to rip the blinds out of the wall. We'll see how it goes.

It's more common than most people know. Vinyl siding is the most often affected product. Some pool liners have been burned.

FYI - low-e (low emissivity) glass reflects the INFRA RED (IR) portion of sunlight, not UV. That’s where all the thermal heating comes from.

It's definitely not something they discuss in the sales pitch!

Reactions: Dirk
I bought a film to go over the outside of the window. It'll afford bathroom privacy also since the kids decided to rip the blinds out of the wall. We'll see how it goes.

It's definitely not something they discuss in the sales pitch!
Just an idea maybe mount the mini blind on the outside slightly wider then the window to reach the control strings and the like.

I had the same issue at my last house where I melted my artificial grass. We put some sunshades on the rear windows, but there is a film specifically designed to disperse that reflected light.

I am reporting you for profanity “ block the sun” are bad bad words to use together 🤣
Mark... you are a funny man... I would never suggest that, as I am a child of the sun as well, and I photosynthesize every chance I get! ;)

So if I am reading the pics right, how about a hedge between the pool and the house. That way it will block the sun from reflecting on the pool. Something like Italian Junipers grow really fast (if they work in your climate that is).. just a thought!

It's not clear to me why this is happening. It doesn't seem like the reflection from a flat pane of glass would magnify the sun. Is it because the area being affected is receiving sun directly and from the reflection, in effect getting almost "two full doses?" Does it only happen when the affected area gets both, or can something melt from just the reflection that wouldn't ordinarily melt from just being in the direct sun?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.