My pool is burning

Ah, James beat me to it. It's the curve of the glass that is causing the problem. Just like a magnifying glass, the focal point will be hottest in one spot, x-feet from the curve. The screen is no where near the focal point.

Also, the beam gets hottest at the focal point, which won't be close to the window
James beat me to it. It's the curve of the glass that is causing the problem. Just like a magnifying glass, the focal point will be hottest in one spot
So what about an actual window screen to disrupt the incoming beam and scatter the focal point into several smaller ones in the yard ? With less intensity they may just make things warm instead of burning them.

Reactions: mguzzy
As you said in your previous post, a screen will both reduce the light hitting the window, and the reflected light, but I don't think it would scatter the focal point, just weaken it. It should reduce the heat at the focal point, but by how much? It would work similarly to how the film the OP is trying would work. It could move the focal point. Less heat on the glass would change the temperature differential that is causing the glass to bow (curve).

So what about an actual window screen to disrupt the incoming beam and scatter the focal point into several smaller ones in the yard ?
As you said in your previous post, a screen will both reduce the light hitting the window, and the reflected light, but I don't think it would scatter the focal point, just weaken it.
@Newdude ..your on to something. Keep it simple. I think a simple screen would suffice to create enough diffusion to weaken the focused beam. And/or tens of thousands of little beams each one interfering with itself created by the grid of the screen. (like a Moire pattern for the sciency guys out there).

That’s a GREAT idea !!! What about actual screens ? It would scatter the ray of sunshine before it hits the window and scatter it even more on the way back out, hopefully making it less laser-y and more shotgun of sunshine.

you would probably only need them for a few weeks now and in 6 months when the sun hits that magical angle again.
Come to find out screens do nothing. My smaller window was doing the death ray through the screen. I’m surprised it didn’t melt the screen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.