My pad is too small- possible solutions and suggestions appreciated

lindsays99

Jul 22, 2021
West Virginia
Hi Everyone. Last year I purchased a 12x24 Intex with the intention of partially sinking it. Everything is hilly in The Mountain State, so it made sense to me! The pad is dug out, drainage done, ready for setup. However, I didn't know how much space was necessary for the legs! I am wondering if there is a way to have the legs less angled (probably not good because of the amount of pressure on the metal bar on the sides). My other option is to completely remove my fence and shrubs, and push them all back a few feet. Any help is appreciated. I have included picture diagrams.

Picture 1 - my initial question (red indicates problem issue)
Picture 2 - potential solution (purple indicates proposed vertical posts)
Picture 3 - Layout
Picture 4- Why I have problems

Attachments

• pool pic 2.jpg
    pool pic 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 14
  • pool pic 3.jpg
    pool pic 3.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 14
  • pool 4.jpg
    pool 4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
  • pool 5.jpg
    pool 5.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 14
To partially answer your question- the water weight will push the legs where they are supposed to be & there’s really no manipulating that without causing a problem somewhere else. The liner & frame of those pools are designed to work together to evenly carry the weight/pressure of the water. Which weighs approximately 72k lbs. when filled- that’s alot of force when something lets go because it has uneven pressure. Digging out /making room for the supports is the only thing u can do if u wish to use this pool. Any alterations to the structure will likely be short lived & result in possibly a catastrophic failure.

Current plan, from a mechanical engineer:
Dig out space for the legs, then fill space with concrete, which would be flush with the dirt, 6+ inches away from the sides of the pool. Then, he said fill the bottom part of the legs with concrete, too (I suppose so that the hollow legs don't get crushed by the weight). I'm not sure if my pictures explains it at all. Red/brown color is the dirt. Yellow would be the concrete.

@mknauss - thanks for the welcome and tagging others.

Attachments

• pool for posting task.jpg
    pool for posting task.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.