My Hayward SWG has crapped out. Pool store recommended something else

Jul 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
So, my turbocell just went out. I'm pretty sure this one lasted a good 10 years or so (I've had it for 6). Word on the street is that this is a pretty long time for these things and I was probably lucky?

I was at the pool store to get liquid chlorine, and I asked the GM if they sold TurboCells. The answer was no. He proceeds to go on a minor rant about how he can't sell customers something he knows will fail in 3-4 years, that he thinks people were sold a bill of goods because the PH creep makes it hard to keep the pool balanced so you aren't really saving time or money vs. using a floater with chlorine tabs, and at one point even mentioned that people think they are getting a salt generator that "doesn't use chlorine" (customer confusion). I'm not even sure what the point was with the last statement, I mean, some customers get confused about things yes. People in general do.

Anyhoo, does anyone have an opinion on if it is worth spending another $500+ dollars to replace the cell vs. using another method of chlorination? Assuming I'm lucky and a new cell lasts 5 years, $100 a year, I mean it will probably save some $ vs. liquid chlorine, but I have a bucket full of chlorine tabs right now (I don't even remember where it came from, I must have bought it a few years back before I really knew what I was doing. What would be the drawbacks of switching to tabs now? Assuming my PH would stay more stable vs. using an SWG, true? I'm guessing my Calcium might go up? Would CYA also go up permanently over time?

Just wondering, since I'm at this point of decision, if there is a better choice than just automatically replacing the SWG.

Thanks all.

Chlorox with no additives is probably you cheapest option but if you dont want to haul jugs a SWCG is far easier. If you hgo to tabs an your cya goes up too high you just have to do a partial refill. It is about cost vs convienience. Even with a SWCG you willneed to haul some bags of salt

Ha! Well, now you know why pool stores have a bad rap. Of course they dislike SWGs, they make pools much lower maintenance and people aren't using the expensive CYA tablets that guarantee you will be back to the pool store for more masking chemicals when your CYA level is to a point where your chlorine is no longer effective. Not to mention that SWG users tend to be more savvy pool owners. The only thing I add to my pool is Muriatic acid when the pH gets a bit high.

My suggestion is buy a new cell. Bada Bing and you're done and no worries for another 5 years. If you have other parts of that SWG like the power supply then get the same one. If you have to buy a whole new system anyway then you have a lot of choices.

I will never go back from SWG. The problem for me with all the other methods of chlorination is keeping up with it. When I get sidetracked because of work or kids' events or whatever, I don't want to have to worry I forgot to add chlorine. Ever since I got the SWG I've never fallen behind and had to clean up algae. The cost and effort involved in playing catch-up if something happens absolutely justifies the cost of SWG for me. When you fall behind you use more chemicals, it's harder on the filter, you run the pump more and use more electricity. It may not be a 1:1 trade off, but when you factor in the time I save, it's SWG forever.

Another SWCG fan here. It’s likely overall there’s no cost savings, but it’s so much more convenient!

Btw, pH rise with a SWCG is NOT a given. Since adjusting my TA down (as suggested here) from pool store recommended levels, pH is stable all season. It’s been years since I’ve had to add any acid.

In your situation, I wouldn’t hesitate to replace the worn out cell.

I never did the traditional chlorine thing. But many friends have and their constant compaining about it made me not want a pool. The wife on the other hand was getting a pool with or without me. So we went SWG and its been a dream. Got my moneys worth out of the first one and promptly got another. No question i was keeping it the same as it was. Come pry it out of my cold dead hands if you can. :cheers:

The wife on the other hand was getting a pool with or without me. So we went SWG and its been a dream. Got my moneys worth out of the first one and promptly got another. No question i was keeping it the same as it was. Come pry it out of my cold dead hands if you can. :cheers:
:laughblue::laughblue:

Reactions: laprjns
and at one point even mentioned that people think they are getting a salt generator that "doesn't use chlorine" (customer confusion). I'm not even sure what the point was with the last statement, I mean, some customers get confused about things yes. People in general do.

Many people are under the impression that a "salt pool" is chlorine free. It seems like I have to explain somewhere around once a week lately to random people that salt pools are actually chlorine pools, and why. Even when I don't have a pool or spa for people to bring up pools and spas with me, seems like the topic comes up often and I have to explain it to someone. Some people have even argued with me to the point that they get angry because I refuse to listen/accept to their "garbage knowledge".

It's a big thing round these parts where hipsters think they know everything and anything "natural" sounding is always cooler. My long time family friend owns a "healing center & spa" that's been around for over 40 years. They changed over the hot tub to salt a few years back and I'd hazard a guess that 95% of their clientele think there's no chlorine in that hot tub. Little do they know how much chlorine is in the sensory deprivation float tanks because they have to pour bleach in them daily... sigh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dare say SWCG is more expensive per season verse traditional methods but nothing matches the convenience and ease of use.

Many people also don't factor in the cost of this convenience - Ideally the cost of 'traditional' methods never seem to include the cost of your own labour.

SWG use allows me more time to spend doing other more important things, so for me a SWG equipped pool is way less expensive to maintain when my own time is factored in.

For a non DIY swg is way more expensive if you factor in getting taken to the cleaner for new cells, bad boards, cell cleaning etc. my neighbor runs his pool on pucks and poly 60. His summer purchases are 2 buckets of pucks and two quarts poly 60. (I know because he buys his chemicals from me)

I dare say SWCG is more expensive per season verse traditional methods but nothing matches the convenience and ease of use.
While prices do change a little, several years ago one of our members did a full price comparison between SWCG and manually adding liquid. Over the anticipated life of the cell, the two methods were surprisingly close to each other. It was so close we tend to just say that using a SWCG just means you are paying for your chlorine all at once.

So, when it comes down to it you end up considering convenience rather than cost.

You could not pay me to ever use liquid chlorine... forget it. Way too expensive in Canada and a total pain in the rear to maintain. Swg’s are awesome and coupled with an automation system (like Omnilogic) made the entire pool 95% maintenance free.

Thanks to this site and understanding the basics all I do each year is top salt up, ensure CYA level is right and set swg generator to around 60% and then run variable speed pump at low for around 10 or so hours a day (Depends on size of pool etc). Costs as much as leaving a 100 watt lightbulb on all day. Never ever need to do anything else, Ph maintains itself, TA and other levels never really vary with a vinyl liner pool to matter and the Dolphin pool cleaner keeps it clean, chlorine kills anything that finds its way in. Love it. Total freedom and an awesome pool. Maybe brush once in a blue moon for fun but the Dolphin hits everywhere in the pool.

I love watching a few of my neighbours struggle with Pool store advice, adding algicide and other “magic“ cure chemicals for random imaginary water issues yet their pool still goes cloudy and shows algae. They love to insist shocking a pool is normal (I have never shocked a pool in my life, no need if you keep the Chlorine level correct). Then I catch them using test strips... and improperly too (why can’t people read labels on products?).

When they finally call me over I invariably find their Chlorine level is 0 ... all day long... THAT is why you have algae, not because of phosphates or the special tree leaves that fall in your pool... they simply don’t run the pump long enough for the Swg to produce enough Chlorine and have zero CYA in the pool so the sun eats any that it produces. Simple simple simple... just let the pump run but they never listen for long and eventually the greenish cloudy pool is back... amazing.

Now a neighbor has changed to some mineral system, can’t wait to see how this works out...(hopefully it does well).

Cheers
Tim

For a non DIY swg is way more expensive if you factor in getting taken to the cleaner for new cells, bad boards, cell cleaning etc.

Just replaced my IC60 this year for $777 and the old one made it 6.5 years. I could have found much cheaper generics if I changed brands. It is very easy to DIY and anybody on this site would get the info on how to maintain it themselves.

So, when it comes down to it you end up considering convenience rather than cost.

It never fails to amuse me (even with many of my own friends) how many people have a $60k - $100k pool and then can’t possible fathom a certain amount of yearly maintenance costs. I know people with $100k of stonework alone who balk at my cell replacement costs and upfront chemicals that I need for startup each season. I devote a weekend and a few extra hundred dollars to opening and after that I sit back and relax and rarely need to adjust or spend more. (Except for vacuuming. We all have to do that without a robot). My time is very valuable. Maybe when I’m retired and the kids are gone, i’ll need a hobby to keep me busy but for now my work/life schedule is too crazy to have any time.

Anybody who wishes to disagree, please feel free. Maybe you just like what you know. Maybe you tried SWG and had a bad experience. Maybe you need the costs spread out over time Instead of upfront. It’s all good. You do you. If you want your pool maintenance schedule to *almost* be an afterthought, consider the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.