My Hayward Northstar has finally failed after 18 years of service - what to replace it with

texaspoolman57

Jun 22, 2022
Frisco
My 18 year old Hayward Northstar pump housing has cracked and the twist couplers have a few tabs broken off so its time to get it replaced. I tried using the strongest JB weld but I need a reliable unit so therefore I am going to replace it but I don't know what to replace it with.

My pump is running off of an Aqualink RS4 that allows me to control it from inside the house.

My pump runs off a 2.75hp motor that the pool builder installed originally so I should stay with the option to run at or near that hp rating

I would really like to stay with the Hayward pump if that makes sense. I was looking at the Hayward variable speed pumps (no single speed pumps seem to be available) that is rated at 2.7 hp.

I think my Aqualink RS4 would turn the motor on and off but not control the speed of the motor - I think I would have to do that at the motor keypad and that makes it very inconvenient because if lets say in the afternoon I decide to program the motor keypad to run at a lower RPM for the pool and the wife wants to use the Jacuzzi then I have to go outside and bump up the motor speed. The other option is to just run it all the time at a speed that works for the pool and the Jacuzzi and leave it there???

Please help me

Thoughts? Ideas?

Congrats on 18 yrs

Since you do not have automation, you can go w any pump. And yes, VSP is the way to go.

Your options are either the Hayward TriStar 2.7HP VSP or EcoStar 2.7HP VSP. I would stay away from the latter. You can also look at the Pentair 3HP Intelliflo...this seems to be the flagship pump site, IMHO. There are many other 2nd tier 2-3HP VSP's and if price is an issue, this could be the way to go.

When looking at new pumps, review and research: service and support, parts availability, warranty, user ratings along w the needs of your pool/spa.

Good luck

My 18 year old Hayward Northstar pump housing has cracked and the twist couplers have a few tabs broken off so its time to get it replaced. I tried using the strongest JB weld but I need a reliable unit so therefore I am going to replace it but I don't know what to replace it with.

My pump is running off of an Aqualink RS4 that allows me to control it from inside the house.

My pump runs off a 2.75hp motor that the pool builder installed originally so I should stay with the option to run at or near that hp rating

I would really like to stay with the Hayward pump if that makes sense. I was looking at the Hayward variable speed pumps (no single speed pumps seem to be available) that is rated at 2.7 hp.

I think my Aqualink RS4 would turn the motor on and off but not control the speed of the motor - I think I would have to do that at the motor keypad and that makes it very inconvenient because if lets say in the afternoon I decide to program the motor keypad to run at a lower RPM for the pool and the wife wants to use the Jacuzzi then I have to go outside and bump up the motor speed. The other option is to just run it all the time at a speed that works for the pool and the Jacuzzi and leave it there???

Please help me

Thoughts? Ideas?
You need to check the revision of your Jandy software to know if it will communicate with a Pentair VSP. It won't with a Hayward. Given the age of your system, an upgrade may be needed. You do not turn a VSP on and off with a relay (with very few exceptions).

Directly from Jandy (this was in regard to a One-Touch indoor control, it is similar with an all-button control):
What we need to make sure is that the Revision of the CPU is a minimum Rev O.2. If they have this Rev all they need to do is hook up the 2 communication wires from the pump to our RS485 terminal Yellow wire to terminal 2 and Green wire to terminal 3, then in the One Touch Control go to Menu>System Setup> VAR Speed Pump>Pump Model and change that to Intelliflo VS. Then scroll to Pump Application under VAR Speed Pump and select Filtration or Auxillary, whichever way they are going to use the pump. If they do not have Rev O.2 your client will need to upgrade the RS Board and CPU using upgrade kit #IQ20-RS

If you are interested in a review on a Jacuzzi/Hayward VSP, I just wrote one based on my recent experience with my Hayward pump going down after 10 years. Search under Jacuzzi JVS 185S and you should find it. I have a 1.85 HP model but I know they make a 2.7 HP model that may fit your needs. Good luck.....

If you are interested in a review on a Jacuzzi/Hayward VSP, I just wrote one based on my recent experience with my Hayward pump going down after 10 years. Search under Jacuzzi JVS 185S and you should find it. I have a 1.85 HP model but I know they make a 2.7 HP model that may fit your needs. Good luck.....
Joe

The tristar 1.85 HP seems to have a much better rating and usage, as opposed to the 2.7HP version. Just go on Amazon and do a search for the 2.7, and 90-95% of the reviews that populate are for the 1.85.

The EcoStar has pretty bad ratings 50% are 1-2 stars and the 2.7 tristar is a modified version of it. That’s why I referred the OP to the Pentair Inteliflo. However, there have been exceptions to some EcoStars lasting more than 4-5 yrs, but very, very rare.

A.) Ten years is a good long life for virtually any newer pool equipment, especially a VSP. They are literally computers that we stick outside in all the elements and ask them to work like older single-speed motors. Most sites I visit for repair work don't even have the door over the control closed and the customer wonders why the control panel doesn't respond. Even the new single-speed motors pale in comparison to their older counterparts and the manufacturers will admit that, though grudgingly. When I first started in the business we could confidently say to expect at least 15 years from a piece of equipment with proper service. Now, if an installer is honest, we say 10 years at the outside. This is based on real-world experience.
B.) My EcoStar 2.7 is a good 12 years old and still cranking. Don't treat it any differently that I did my old single-speed stuff. Got a good one.
C). The new TriStar 1.85 and 2.7 pumps are the same except for motor and impeller. They have the same drive electronics. Hayward openly admitted that they had a serious issues with the electronics of their drives and even replaced them well after the warranty period if asked. They went to a new supplier and I have had no call backs on a new Hayward VSP in at least five years. Bad impressions linger.
D.) A Jandy system will not directly communicate with a Hayward pump, but it can be done with relay inputs. However it is a complicated process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.