My friends think I'm nuts...

I have a neighbor that offered to teach me how to take care of the pool.

Him: "It's simple you just float these pucks and when you start to get some algae you just throw a bag of this shock stuff in clears it right up."
Me: "Oh ok cool, well I have been reading up on it and I am going to go with these Stenner pumps and see how it goes but if I have questions I will let you know" :rolleyes:

I am taking a very passive approach to my neighbors if they ask what I am doing I share but other than that I let it be. I have already had one neighbor who can see into my back yard re-plaster his pool because it was so Green and ours being new was so clear. The plaster was starting to get into bad shape, but we all know that is not why it was green. I do wish he had asked but it was standard plaster about 12 years old that was a foreclosure swamp for 2 years and was probably due any way. I just don't want to be the guy that tells people what they are doing is causing them problems. I figure it can be like telling people how to deal with their kids best to leave it unless they ask and even then tread carefully. The most receptive people I run into are the ones staring at the chemicals in to pool isle at Home depot when I stop by to get some MA. I teach them how to read date codes on the bleach and explain the FC to CYA relationship and point them to this site.

my neighbors lime green pool before the re-plaster. It is going to be interesting to see how long the re-plaster neighbor gets by before the CYA catches up with him. I'm thinking he will get a season but will be back on the pool store treadmill next spring.

I guess it's true what they say, the pool is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I found TFP after going to the pool store numerous times to have my water tested and much money spent trying to correct an AG pool last year. Only AFTER finding TFP and ordering my test kit and taking charge did I get a clear beautiful pool again. TFP is the only way to go. I took down my AG pool and am now waiting on my La. yard to dry up to have inground pool built. TFP totally rocks!

I was waiting at my mechanic's garage while he worked on my brakes, chatting with his wife. She mentioned she wanted a pool for the grand kids, but the hubby said it was too expensive and too much work. I started explaining I only spent about $50. for last summer, and how clear my water was. (I didn't break out the pictures this time, ha ha) I'm not sure if she had a look of interest, or disbelief, so I didn't elaborate. But even kids notice how sparkly our pool is, I love it!

I get the crazy looks when I explain what TFP is..and the simplicity of it... that's ok... but then again on Memorial Day Weekend.. I am not one of those folks in the long line at the pool store...desperate to get their pool water clear and buying up $$$ in chemicals I don't really need... we are the ones at home relaxing and enjoying our pool. :cool:

I've got neighbors with pools that complain about their water. I just want to take my kit over and test their water but they think my way is crazy. I guess not going to the pool store and spending money needlessly is crazy.

So true DaninFLA. A co-worker of mine bought a house with a pool last year. I sent him the links to TFP website...pool school, chem 101, and told him to avoid the pool stores as they have an agenda and if he had any questions I would be more than happy to help. A few months went by, one day I asked him how the pool was going. He said, "oh, I have been going to the pool store, it just seemed like to much to learn." He also never purchases a test kit which I stressed. People are going to do what they want to do when it comes down to it in the end. I think most of us here found this site on our own cause we are DIY'ers and always in search for knowledge

I just don't say anything anymore. It's like telling someone how to raise their child. I guess being a little OCD about my pool helps because I never mind checking my water and adding a little chlorine. It literally takes 5-10 minutes a day. Maybe I'm just cheap, lol. And I am definitely one of the biggest pool snobs, ever! But, my pool is already open, the water is sparkling and I'm waiting to see the pics of friends swamps when they finally open around Memorial Day.

I just don't say anything anymore. It's like telling someone how to raise their child. I guess being a little OCD about my pool helps because I never mind checking my water and adding a little chlorine. It literally takes 5-10 minutes a day. Maybe I'm just cheap, lol. And I am definitely one of the biggest pool snobs, ever! But, my pool is already open, the water is sparkling and I'm waiting to see the pics of friends swamps when they finally open around Memorial Day.
I think you should host a neighborhood barbeque and swim party on Memorial Day. Or maybe even the weekend before. Let their kids enjoy your sparkling water, and then go home and get brutally honest with their parents. Kids'll do that, you know. My wife's best friend brings her girls over to swim sometimes, even though their apartment has a pool. They prefer swimming in mine because it's so clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
f9ccd3ee8de0821f07ad6d3e38788128.jpg

I think my pool speaks for itself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to help a neighbor with high CYA and algae. I printer out the pool school articles for him, tested his water and all.

He refused to drain or believe any of my witchcraft, and kept going to the pool store, who kept selling him stabilized "shock". Eventually he got things to clear up using algaecide...but I have a feeling he's in for a surprise when he opens this year.

Ironically, it is my lovely wife who thought I was crazy to take this on. She had a pool for years in San Diego and always had a service. When we bought our current house in July 2015, the former owners were using a service that cost $160/week and roughly $1600 to open and close. I immediately thought that was outrageous. I had never owned a pool before, but I wanted to understand the "black magic" that my wife seemed to think was necessary to maintain a pool. I bought a TFT test kit and found that the CYA was >200 and CH was far too low. I figured that I couldn't do much worse. So, much to my LW's distress, I nicely informed the pool service that we wouldn't be using them this year.

Since I found this site, I decided to use the $5000 saved and rework the equipment pad (new heat pump, filter, VS pump) and plumb it all myself. With the help of all the generous-minded folks on this site, it worked! The new equipment is up and running without leaks and the pool went from being cloudy to clear over night. The new VS pump is much quieter than the old SS super pump II and uses about 1/3 the wattage to move the same amount of water (thanks trusty TFT flow gauge!). Using the TFT test kit, I'm on top of the chemistries. With our Triton plus robot, the pool is free of debris and is nicely scrubbed (except for the stairs...but that seems greedy to complain about). I also invested in a Stenner pump and cut out the puck dispenser with relish using my sawzall. All told, with what I was able to sell the old equipment for on Craigslist and what I saved on dismissing our pool service, this is a "break-even" season for us. But going forward, we will be saving big on heating and pumping (~$200/month less electric with the new pump and ~$500/mo less on propane that the old heater was using).

Since I was able to get the pool open and the new equipment running, my adorable wife has slowly come around. Since the pool is now clear and sparkling, she is even more convinced. All thanks to the smart people who kindly help newbies like me. I am one of those people who could afford to pay to have it done, but I still need to "understand" what they are doing. I'll see how it goes, but this thread resonated with me and I wanted to give a shout out for all the help I've received. A hearty thank you TFP!

Jay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.