My first test results n need your thoughts

You are correct at the pH test is invalid with a FC greater than 10 ppm.

That is the difficulty of trying to manage a pool with a very high CYA using liquid chlorine to sanitize.

Wait another hour or so and test the FC again as it should be below 10. Then test pH, adjust if necessary, and add LC to raise your FC to target level.

It's (my high CYA) from those darn trichlor tablets/pucks. I've already gave myself a warning since I was uneducated @ the time and didn't mean to use them intentionally lol

From what I've read on here, having CYA level of 80 might be okay in my case b/c the sun sets in my backyard so I direct sunlight all throughout the day and evening right before it gets dark. And I live in Houston, Tx where its reeeeeeally hot and humid.

With a non-SWCG pool that level CYA takes much diligence to manage.

I know Houston can be warm and humid. many places are during the summer.

A more manageable CYA would be 50 ppm. You will probably get there this fall if you get a hurricane or tropical storm through this year.

Great you just jinx'd us knock on wood lol jk. Definitely don't want a hurricane. Harvey was a disaster. We get lots of rain here so I'm thinking of draining a few inches of water before it does. Does TFPC have a method of draining water? I didn't see a thread on the pool school section about it

Not a good idea to drain water before a large rain event. Pool shells can pop out of the ground with very wet soils.

To drain water a sub pump from Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

Is this the right thing to do?

My water level got low so I’m having to fill w the water hose while pump is off. I have an auto fill but dont like to use it bc it filters thru my water softener. I’ll turn the pump when water is up to level. How long after should I test and should I test for the 5 main chemicals or just FC n pH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When your CH is near 400 you would be better off using your softened water for make up water in the future. Not for large drain/refills, just for evaporation.

I’m still new at this. Is it okay to have my pool water this clear? Lol
d3d75f1896770ec6ebeb0c8afb9929ac.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.