My first test results n need your thoughts

No need for the OTO, I do not have the acid/base demand tests, I just use PoolMath.

Your CYA is high for a non-SWCG pool. I would suggest being diligent at lowering that with rain water, etc.

Maintain FC based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Howdy guys,

This post is a continuation from "Is chlorine tabs ok?" thread. Just did my first do-it-myself test. Results:

FC 9

CC 0.5

pH 7.8

TA 80

CH 370

CYA 80

Should I go ahead and do the OTO, Acid demand, and base demand test?
No. The OTO test will be off the scale, a blinding Tweety bird yellow. The acid demand test is redundant. If you need to know how much acid to add to lower pH, poolmath can do it for you. And since your pH is high, you won't need to add anything to raise it, so no need to do base demand. Poolmath can handle that one, too, by the way. That's why the TF100 doesn't have those demand tests.

From reading on this site, my chlorine tablets is likely causing the high CYA. Going to see what pool math says as well.

What would you do if you were me at this point? My pool is 2.5 months old and located in Cypress, Tx which is basically in Houston, Tx
I'd make sure that Nature2 was emptied out and then I'd maintain the FC for the 80 CYA. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Use troublefreepools goal levels for a start.

Be sure there are NO PUCKS in the Nature2 thing. Liquid chlorine only.

[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Based on 80 CYA -- target 10 ppm FC.

You will not be able to maintain this with pucks.

I don't have any liquid chlorine right now so until I get some, is using the pucks at low dosage ok for now?

I'm a bit confused, its my first time using pool math. What should be my FC target?
Select tfp from the dropdown, plaster as the finish, and bl;each as the source.

How you pick a target is to dose to about 3 above the minimum. The next day when you test, see if you stayed above minimum or dipped below. Adjust the target up or down .5 and try it another 24 hours. All you're trying to do is figure out the bare minimum you can add so that the FC doesn't dip below minimum before you add again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Walmart and Home Depot both have 10% liquid chlorine for a shade over $3 a gallon. Just check the dates. You'll see a number like this XXYYY where XX is the year and YYY is the day of the year. Make sure it's less than 60 days old because chlorine can degrade over time especially if it's stored in heat. So for example, today would be day 192.

Walmart and Home Depot both have 10% liquid chlorine for a shade over $3 a gallon. Just check the dates. You'll see a number like this XXYYY where XX is the year and YYY is the day of the year. Make sure it's less than 60 days old because chlorine can degrade over time especially if it's stored in heat. So for example, today would be day 192.

Going to Home Depot to get a case. This sounds like what you described. Thanks for the advice

e848ed55826957de6aa12171deb36c66.png

That's it. At my Home Depot here in San Jose, CA, if you buy 4 or more cases (2 gallons per case), you pay $6.19 per case instead of $6.86. Makes the deal even better.

Actually, I've never seen the 3 bottle case like the picture, only the 2 gallon case.

Ok so I get the liquid chlorine and remove the pucks from my chlorinator system. As mknauss mentioned earlier that I should shoot for 10 ppm FC as my target, how much liquid chlorine do I use to start out? Perhaps there's instructions/methods on here on how to pour liquid chlorine? Also it's raining here so should I wait until weather clears up?

PoolMath to determine how much liquid chlorine to use.

Pour your chlorine at the return flow into the pool. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after pouring the LC into the pool.

The pool could care less if it is raining, it is already wet. Add your chemicals if safe to do so.

Ok. I think I did this right. Added LC and let pump run for 30 mins. When should I retest my FC?

Btw, found out I was off on the number of gallons. Pool Math calculated that my pool has 15.5k gallons. I didn't take my 6ft of sun/tan deck into consideration before lol

97e8295204e2ca56b661a134a1e892c5.jpg

357cf980200e466962a9a4b02d3f0a01.jpg

That is a good FC to target. You will now lose about 4 ppm during the day. Be sure to add LC this evening to get back to 10+ ppm FC.

Use the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.