My first pollen season with a pool

albertg

Bronze Supporter
Nov 3, 2019
Marietta, GA
How do I manage the pollen in my Pool? Do I run the pump longer to filter the water? Do I need to skim? I’ve read adding phosphates could help it clump together. How do I know if it’s a problem? I’m in GA.

Albert, phosphates aren't something we want to *add* to our pools. This pollen is something fierce, isn't it? Yeah, I've got more than my share here in Augusta too.

Best thing to do is put pool skimmer socks in your skimmer to help collect the pollen. This helps keep it out of your filter and lessens the need to backwash or clean our filters. You should let the pool skim the pollen into the skimmer basket and keep an eye on those socks daily while the pollen is so heavy.

If you have a robot it should help pick up and clean the stuff that falls to the floor of the pool. Otherwise vacuum it up.
Adding FLOC or clarifyers will gum up your filter in no time.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie! Yes I bought skimmer socks over the winter and just started using it when I 'opened' the pool. Sounds like I need to skim more and generally clean more for the next few weeks? Pool is 62 degrees anyway. The kids learned quickly that its too cold for swimming.

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Yeah my oldest (12yr) wanted $20 if she made it from the diving board to the other side. She didn't make it.

Yes I have a main drain. There is a valve at the bottom of the skimmer hole that I can turn to adjust the suction ratio. I usually have it like 80/20 skimmer to main.

I remember when we were thinking about getting our pool, I thought fall would be the worst time of year for pool work. By far, the worst time is early spring here in the south! :oops:

The Oak catkins (pecan in a couple weeks) are the worst here. I emptied my skimmer of them 3 times yesterday and got two full nets manually. Today, it's the dogwood flowers shedding.

Our temp is 70F. Our boys swam for nearly an hour yesterday. Not this guy.

So I assume I should expect higher than usual chlorine consumption during this time? This is my first time as a pool owner and living in the south. We got a nice layer yesterday and a little rain this morning. What a mess.

i cleaned the cartridge filters before the pollen started. How often should I be cleaning them for my area and being surrounded by trees and bushes?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hair nets in skimmers and change them often, is the best approach. It keeps much of it from reaching and clogging your filter.

mine doesn’t seem to climb all that quickly. How often is that for you?

It depends on the size of the filter and the amount of stuff getting into your pool. Some people with larger filters might only have to backwash once or twice a season. If your filter is smaller or you have a ton of stuff getting into the pool then it might be as often as every week or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.