My first opening, after my first closing... not so good

okay - so it was a missing/disappearing O-Ring... can't find where the original is... don't know if it was there and eventually disintegrated, or was never there and just magically worked. Ran to pool store 10 minutes before closing and got a similarly sized one. so far, no more leaking. Installed new Cartridge and pressure gauge.

NOW - I swapped out the pressure gauge, and it's not showing anything, stuck at 0psi. If I close the ball valve on the out to pool side, it goes up to like 10psi.

Do I need to "pressurize" the filter for it work properly?

dumped in more bleach last night, as i'm sure i am no longer at shock. I will do the overnight test tonight.

@9pm last night, my readings where:

pH: 7.2
FC: 17.5
CC: 0.5 (or even less)
TC = 18
TA = 60
CYA =55
CH = 100

This morning at 6:30am, my FC registered at 17ppm, and again cc was 0.5 or less...

So I lost about 0.5 ppm, which technically means I passed the OCFL test right? granted there is *some* sun barely touching the deck of the pool too.

pool water is slightly clearer. I can see from the edge to about the middle. still not sparkling like it used to be.

Something I noticed, when I did the CC test last night, and moved on to the others (TA, CH, CYA)... by the time I was done with those, the water was pink again. does that mean the chlorine is being consumed by something?

Thanks again to all the replies, i feel like i'm getting closer to jumping in!

The test turning back pink ids normal, ignore it. So you have passed the OCLT and the CC requirements so likely you have killed everything off and now it is a matter of getting it all filtered out.

Thanks Jason... so it's the waiting game now? I'll go to pool store this weekend to get a reading on Salt. I don't know if i did it right, but i think last calculation called for 150LBS of salt.

after that, I can stick my SWG back on right? or do I have to wait for the FC to drop significantly before adding the SWG?

Thanks again...still no pressure on the gauge. but water does seem ever so clearer each day. the skimmer sock seems to get dirty still.

water still looking a bit cloudy. i don't believe the pool store's 3ppm chlorine read. I call BS. I did the quick test, and it's well over 5. going to try the drop test later tonight.

anything i can do to speed up the clearing, or just sit and wait. the family, is getting anxious to jump in.

armedmetallica said:
water still looking a bit cloudy. i don't believe the pool store's 3ppm chlorine read. I call BS. I did the quick test, and it's well over 5. going to try the drop test later tonight.

anything i can do to speed up the clearing, or just sit and wait. the family, is getting anxious to jump in.

As far as speeding things up, my experience is that skimmer socks do speed things up quite a bit. Make sure you don't let your FC drop past your goal for CYA level, or you will need to shock again.

As far as the cloudy water, i would probably just swim in the pool now and take a shower when I got out.
but i also swam in my pool with 30 FC, so I am probably a little less worried about these things than most. The pool was still cloudy at the time... I'm just saying what I would (did) do.

BTW, I grew up swimming in the Niagara river, I have a hard time believing there are no dead algae or organic materials in the river.... not to mention dead fish and other dead animals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kjpool said:
armedmetallica said:

As far as speeding things up, my experience is that skimmer socks do speed things up quite a bit. Make sure you don't let your FC drop past your goal for CYA level, or you will need to shock again.

As far as the cloudy water, i would probably just swim in the pool now and take a shower when I got out.
but i also swam in my pool with 30 FC, so I am probably a little less worried about these things than most. The pool was still cloudy at the time... I'm just saying what I would (did) do.

BTW, I grew up swimming in the Niagara river, I have a hard time believing there are no dead algae or organic materials in the river.... not to mention dead fish and other dead animals.

yeah, i've noticed the socks do help. whenever i scrub the pool i put the socks on and catch a lot of crud. jumped in yesterday to get a rock that my son threw in there... it felt good. no side effects here ;-)

though i'd be hesitant to bring the kiddos in. need to do the drop test on Chlorine later tonight.

just wanted to stop in and say thanks to everyone's help. pool was sparkling clear yesterday, and the entire family took a dip. older son was scared of the water (only about his 2nd time in a pool), but that was resolved in all of 20 minutes.

i balked at the initial price of the test kit - but after seeing the screwed up results from the pool store, i see it's worth every $. my only regret, is not buying the salt test at the same time.

the SWG is currently working, i added 40#'s of salt. light on SWG indicates it's OK.

Thanks again... i never thought it would clear up. I am thinking of cleaning the filter this weekend, and will probably tackle the pressure gauge issue next.

armedmetallica said:
just wanted to stop in and say thanks to everyone's help. pool was sparkling clear yesterday, and the entire family took a dip. older son was scared of the water (only about his 2nd time in a pool), but that was resolved in all of 20 minutes.

i balked at the initial price of the test kit - but after seeing the screwed up results from the pool store, i see it's worth every $. my only regret, is not buying the salt test at the same time.

the SWG is currently working, i added 40#'s of salt. light on SWG indicates it's OK.

Thanks again... i never thought it would clear up. I am thinking of cleaning the filter this weekend, and will probably tackle the pressure gauge issue next.
Next stop:
testimonials-t21757.html

Do the gauge. It's not much more difficult than changing a light bulb, and will give you the sense of confidence you need to propel you to the filter cleaning.

Stick around now and start answering questions, especially where the poster balks at the investment of a test kit!

Richard320 said:
armedmetallica said:

Next stop:
testimonials-t21757.html

Do the gauge. It's not much more difficult than changing a light bulb, and will give you the sense of confidence you need to propel you to the filter cleaning.

Stick around now and start answering questions, especially where the poster balks at the investment of a test kit!

yup - will try stick around. not much advice i can offer, but sure i can learn by just sticking around.

i did the gauge when i swapped out the filter about a week or two ago... but it's stuck @ 0, so i just want to get in there and see if it's stuck or if something got caught in it or if it is really DOA. don't have any way to test that. can I bring it to the gas station and try "inflate" into it, see if the needle moves? or is it going to fly out of my hand like a projectile, hit a pedestrian, and end up on Stupid News?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.