My first opening, after my first closing... not so good

hmm today, i tested at 10am and the nagain at 5pm... i went from 21.5ppm FC to 14.5ppm my CC didn't change much (still at 0.5 or lower).

going to get another case of bleach, I haven't added bleach in about a day now. concerned about this drop. there was some rain, and i did have to bleed the filter a few times in between, but didn't expect this much of a drop.

CYA at 40.

jblizzle said:
Correct. Have you tried the OCLT yet to see how much is still consuming the FC when the sun is not a factor?

No sir. i thought had to be fully clear before that. just dumped in another concentrated dose of bleach. tomorrow night, i will try the OCLT. it still hasn't been a full week since my CYA addition. i'm so ready to just jump into this pool - regardless of chemistry. :|

HALP HALP!!

I think my filter is experiencing an over pressure scenario.

I have water gushing out of the pressure release valve, even when it's closed...while the pump is running.

Pump is off now, I also closed off the ball valves at input and output, then opened the pressure release valve. Water is trickling out of there.

Pool seems somewhat clearer than yesterday. So - do I leave this like this, let it release the pressure?

I have a new pressure gauge, but figured i'd put it in when I open this up to swap in a new filter. Last CYA addition was less than a week ago.

What does the pressure gauge read?

The pressure in the filter should be released as soon as you turn the pump off ... as the gauge should also show 0psi. You do not need to open the filter to change the gauge.

jblizzle said:
What does the pressure gauge read?

The pressure in the filter should be released as soon as you turn the pump off ... as the gauge should also show 0psi. You do not need to open the filter to change the gauge.

pressure needle is busted. there's no pointer just a circle. the nut that holds it is on the inside of the housing.. it's kinda sunken into the case
kinda like this one same brand, but this is DE, mine is cartridge:
http://www.poolstore.com/p/3667/clearwa ... ump-ne6313

i've been stirring up the silt at the bottom, and scrubbing all around, i'm guessing that's causing the filter to over pressurize?

now i'm stuck between letting the algae win, or learning what a pressurized vessel sounds like when it blows!

Ah, sorry about that.

It is very rare, and basically impossible for the pool pumps to over-pressurize the filter. They are designed for 50psi and pumps are lucky to get over 35psi or so.

As such, it seems to me that there may be a problem with the pressure release valve. Are you still getting flow into the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Ah, sorry about that.

It is very rare, and basically impossible for the pool pumps to over-pressurize the filter. They are designed for 50psi and pumps are lucky to get over 35psi or so.

As such, it seems to me that there may be a problem with the pressure release valve. Are you still getting flow into the pool?

no worries - good to know ... i can sleep a littl better...yes, flow was pretty good. i've tried opening and closing the valve several times, no difference... just doesn't seem to shut properly.

it's beyond dark, and the dang rain isn't helping. one thing i tried is to lift the door on the skimmer basket, to force some air in... and sure enough the filter's pressure valve purged it, then out comes more water. at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised if water is getting past that ball valve, and I wake up tomorrow to a pool that's drained below the return. i just hope that if it happens it flows away from the pool and doesn't puddle up or get under the foundation. i have no idea if something like that is even possible. You've followed this thread from the start, you know how much of a klutz i am at this point.

If you are getting good flow back to the pool, there is no way the filter should over-pressurize. Wondering if maybe you have a little piece of crud stuck in the pressure release valve so it is not fully closing.

jblizzle said:
If you are getting good flow back to the pool, there is no way the filter should over-pressurize. Wondering if maybe you have a little piece of crud stuck in the pressure release valve so it is not fully closing.

:whip: okay, will head out again to see if i can loosen and tighten it to see if that helps. one thing i can't see in any of my blow up diagrams of my filter ... there was a tube that rises from the bottom to about where the pressure valve or gauge is at i don't know what it is, but there was a mesh that had fallen off it when i closed, but i neglected to put back on when i put things back together again. the blow up diagram that I found has no mention of it.

this was not in my plans tonight. didn't even get to take my chlorine measurements yet.

nothing that i can see... even tried tightening with a wrench...got two quarter turns more than by hand... still leaks. Then i opened the filter's drain plug for about 10 seconds. then capped it, and i hear air escaping from the pressure relief valve. then eventually water. I think the ball valve on the output side isn't a tight seal.

is it bad if i clog this hole say with a pencil wrapped in teflon tape?

sure will - first thing tomorrow... meanwhile, if you click on that link, and zoom in... one side of the handle has the gauge and the otherside the pressure valve. that's where the water is coming from.. i can block the hole w. my finger, and it stops.

i drained the water in the filter. shut off all the valves intake and returns, and shut off pump... need to get some shut eye.

meanwhile, wife tells me shower is leaking. grrrrrr.

Do you have a valve on the return pipe as well? I would think with both ball valves closed the water can only drain out of the top inch or so of the filter.

Can the release valve be fully removed and inspected? I am thinking this might be a good time to open up the filter and check everything out and replace the pressure gauge.

yes - i do, but that one i don't think closes properly. yeah. tonight when i get home, i am going to crack it open, install my NEW filter cartridge (woot woot). i wanted to wait till AFTER the algae is dead before putting in the new cartridge, but at this point, if i've gotta crack it open, might as well. i also need to teflon tape some of the joints, will make this the day i do it.

i keep going back to your theory of something being stuck... can't be pressure at this point.

back to my other issue.. it's weird, there's specks of white/grey in the water. I can't tell what it is... seems very fine. i'm guessing that's what is keeping my water so cloudy. my level of discouragement of being a pool owner is rising. i've uttered the phrase "THIS is why i didn't want a pool" way too many times in the last week.

Weather is going to be BEAUTIFUL this weekend, still no pool to jump into!

Let's see what tonight brings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.