My Circupool Install

Pflugerpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
After AESWEEPS got me motivated to finally pull the trigger on a SWG in his thread, I ordered the Circupool RJ60+ from Discount Salt Pool. I spent the last week or so doing all the electrical and plumbing and getting everything ready to go when my SLAM was complete.

The Circupool comes pre-configured for 220VAC, but I guess I though it would be hard wired which would have been preferable to me since I could have run it right into the load terminals on my Intermatic timer. Instead, it came with an unterminated cord set. Since the Intermatic isn't really set up for stranded wire, I decided to just install a junction box below the Circupool control unit.
IMG_0989.JPG

Then I ran 12 ga solid to the timer. I used a liquid-tight cord gland to run the control unit cord into the junction box. While doing all this, I noticed how rusty and corroded my timer unit had become. That, and the fact that the last time I turned it on there was a POP and little puff of smoke made me decide to go ahead and replace that while I was wiring things. You can buy just the mechanical part at Home Depot for $54 and install it in the existing enclosure, so I didn't need to redo all the conduit. Much better. My Hayward Superpump had begun leaking this spring too, so while I had the power off I went ahead and resealed it, too. Dry as a bone now.
IMG_0994.JPGIMG_1020.JPG

Finally, I cut buttoned up all the wiring and got to work on the plumbing.
IMG_0992.JPG

I cut out the Hayward chlorine puck feeder and a silly Nature2 silver-ion sanitizer thing the previous owner had gotten pool-stored on, and plumbed in my flow switch. I figured I was going to have to add some pipe, but when I measured after cutting out the stuff I was throwing away, my rough opening was exactly the right size for the RJ60 cell! Sometimes you get lucky!
IMG_1019.JPG

I cleaned up some of the cabling and got the grid ground installed. While my SLAM was completing last week I finally got my CYA up to 70. My CYA goes away every winter. I know it's not "supposed to," but it has for the past several years. Every spring when I start up it's zero again. Once I got that up to 70 it took awhile for Chlorine levels to coast back down, so I just put the Circupool online today. It's out there makin' bacon, and Hallelujah, I'm done hauling bleach bottles for awhile! The water is crystal clear now and I'm looking forward to going on a vacation at the end of this month and not having to worry about the pool!

Consider adding borates to your pool.

The borates are most effective at buffering high pH. Inside the SWG cell, when it is generating chlorine, the pH can become quite high (mostly near the cell plates). This is one factor in the cell plates scaling with calcium. With borates in the water, the pH can not get very high and so the scaling potential goes down. Borates will also help to stabilize the pool water pH and so you’ll make fewer acid additions

After AESWEEPS got me motivated to finally pull the trigger on a SWG in his thread, I ordered the Circupool RJ60+ from Discount Salt Pool. I spent the last week or so doing all the electrical and plumbing and getting everything ready to go when my SLAM was complete.

The Circupool comes pre-configured for 220VAC, but I guess I though it would be hard wired which would have been preferable to me since I could have run it right into the load terminals on my Intermatic timer. Instead, it came with an unterminated cord set. Since the Intermatic isn't really set up for stranded wire, I decided to just install a junction box below the Circupool control unit.
View attachment 100873

Then I ran 12 ga solid to the timer. I used a liquid-tight cord gland to run the control unit cord into the junction box. While doing all this, I noticed how rusty and corroded my timer unit had become. That, and the fact that the last time I turned it on there was a POP and little puff of smoke made me decide to go ahead and replace that while I was wiring things. You can buy just the mechanical part at Home Depot for $54 and install it in the existing enclosure, so I didn't need to redo all the conduit. Much better. My Hayward Superpump had begun leaking this spring too, so while I had the power off I went ahead and resealed it, too. Dry as a bone now.
View attachment 100874View attachment 100875

Finally, I cut buttoned up all the wiring and got to work on the plumbing.
View attachment 100877

I cut out the Hayward chlorine puck feeder and a silly Nature2 silver-ion sanitizer thing the previous owner had gotten pool-stored on, and plumbed in my flow switch. I figured I was going to have to add some pipe, but when I measured after cutting out the stuff I was throwing away, my rough opening was exactly the right size for the RJ60 cell! Sometimes you get lucky!
View attachment 100878

I cleaned up some of the cabling and got the grid ground installed. While my SLAM was completing last week I finally got my CYA up to 70. My CYA goes away every winter. I know it's not "supposed to," but it has for the past several years. Every spring when I start up it's zero again. Once I got that up to 70 it took awhile for Chlorine levels to coast back down, so I just put the Circupool online today. It's out there makin' bacon, and Hallelujah, I'm done hauling bleach bottles for awhile! The water is crystal clear now and I'm looking forward to going on a vacation at the end of this month and not having to worry about the pool!
are you using the T104 timer?

are you using the T104 timer?
Oh, yes... the timer kicks the pump and the SWG on at the same time. With the T104 though there's only one set of load terminals, each of which takes two wires. So for example using P for "pump" and S for "SWG," you connect P1 and S1 to one terminal, and P2 and S2 to the other. The timer terminals are designed for two wires of thwe same size and type though, which is why I put in the junction box. That's where the stranded wire from the SWG is connected to a short length of solid wire that goes into the timer.

Hope that's clear. It's clear in my head, but sometimes my descriptions get muddy!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.