My chemistry cheat sheet - please critique

Jul 24, 2018
FL
I have a saltwater 17K pool with a Jandy epump + 50sqft DE filter + chlorine generator
Pool is in Central Florida.

Need to purchase:
Salt - to replenish, due to rain diluting my water
Stabilizer - to replenish, due to rain diluting my water and CYA breaking down
Alkalinity raiser - not sure why my alk decreases?
Calcium hardness raiser - not sure why my this keeps dropping?
Acid - to replenish, due to rain increasing my pH (is acid rain no longer a thing)

Alkalinity raiser - not sure why my alk decreases?
Calcium hardness raiser - not sure why my this keeps dropping?
- The TA falls over time with each dose of acid applied to control your pH
- The CH falls when you lose water to heavy rains resulting in water exchange
- Rain effecting pH.... perhaps, depending on the intensity and duration. Your SWG can also contribute to the pH creeping-up (aeration).

Reactions: Griffin_pak
You lose calcium, salt, and stabilizer all for the same reason when you lose water out an overflow drain.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment and we may see other things to discuss about your pH rise.

On the rising pH, one thing you may want to do is to add borates (20 Mule Team Borax or PoolProof). I had excellent results in stabilizing my pH after I added borates when I installed a SWCG a couple months ago. Haven't seen my pH move even 0.1 since mid-November.

Quickly rising pH and high CC after installing SWCG
Another SWCG journey!

I recommend a good Salt Water test kit
Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit

I see you upgraded to the Jandy ePump. Good deal...just did that myself.

If you aren't using the PoolMath app, I suggest you do that. It accounts for the interaction effects when you add various chemicals (like when you add Borax to stabilize pH, you will also need to add muriatic acid since the Borax will also raise TA).

It is not a bad idea to supply shade to your pool equipment. Especially any of the electronics (automation panels, VS pump controllers, etc). There are lots of ideas posted on the forum. Do a search.

That was something that never occurred to me when I had my new pool put in.....along with a lot of things that never occurred to me, but thats another story.....and fortunately my pump and controls were put on the east side of my house, so I hope with the sun on it for only a small portion of the day will give it a longer shelf life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.