My booster pump stopped working (connected to polaris 280). Should i replace pump or buy a suction or robot.

polaris280

Aug 4, 2022
Fremont, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I inherited the pool with recently purchased home. It's an inground 22K gallon pull with a regular pump and booster pump + polaris 280. Now that my booster stopped working, I'm evaluating whether I should repair, get a robo or get a suction cleaner.
It will cost me ~600 to replace (including labor).
I have a lot of trees around and i get a lot of dust as well.
The polaris 280 worked well for leaves, but it dint do well in shallow end or finer particles. Plus, the bad needs atleast a weekly cleaning.
I don't have a suction port, i do have a low voltage switch in the yard.
I'm looking for a have free cleaning system, i barely use the pool and just want it look blue. I'm doing the chemicals myself, no pool Guy.

Which cleaner/type do ya'll recommend?

One idea is to bypass the booster pump - tie the inlet to the pump to the outlet and then just use that line as an additional return line to the pool. Remove the 280 from the pool.

Purchase a electric robot - you will need to have an electrical connection / outlet (120V) nearby and put the robot in the pool for cleaning. Suggest you get a basic robot such as S200. Some people leave the robot in the pool and others remove then after each cleaning. You have to remove it to empty the filter basket so just as well leave it out until the next time you wish to clean.

I've debated this very issue for quite some time and I still have my 280. I think the main driver for me to keep it is it's simplicity. It has a few moving parts, nothing electrical and just does its thing. It's been cleaning the pool for 15 years now and stays in the pool year round.

I have replaced just about every moving part on it, some 3,4-5 times over but it's not complicated to fix (not cheap either) but just keeps on haulin.

I have eyed robots and looked at reviews, but I like just being able to keep it in the pool and have it run without me intervening.

The polaris 280 worked well for leaves, but it dint do well in shallow end or finer particles.
If you want to keep using a pressure side cleaner, I have 2 recommendations.

1. Replace the 280 with a Quattro. Quattro picks up very fine particles like grains of sand.

2. Get the smallest, least powerful (and hopefully cheapest) booster pump you can find. The Quattro requires much less pressure than the 3-wheeled Polarises. I, unfortunately, have a 1 hp booster which I have to greatly restrict so the Quattro won't climb out of the pool.

One idea is to bypass the booster pump - tie the inlet to the pump to the outlet and then just use that line as an additional return line to the pool. Remove the 280 from the pool.

Purchase a electric robot - you will need to have an electrical connection / outlet (120V) nearby and put the robot in the pool for cleaning. Suggest you get a basic robot such as S200. Some people leave the robot in the pool and others remove then after each cleaning. You have to remove it to empty the filter basket so just as well leave it out until the next time you wish to clean.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I do have the booster bypassed for the return line already.

I was considering Nautilus CC, any suggestions on that vs S200?
Also, is it a hassle to put it in and out all the time?
What happens if I just leave it in?

I've debated this very issue for quite some time and I still have my 280. I think the main driver for me to keep it is it's simplicity. It has a few moving parts, nothing electrical and just does its thing. It's been cleaning the pool for 15 years now and stays in the pool year round.

I have replaced just about every moving part on it, some 3,4-5 times over but it's not complicated to fix (not cheap either) but just keeps on haulin.

I have eyed robots and looked at reviews, but I like just being able to keep it in the pool and have it run without me intervening.
I totally hear you!
That's the only reason I haven't yet made a purchase. 280 just works day in day out. Although it doesn't pick up finer stuff and requires cleanup very often and tricky to wash that bag.

Can I ask which booster pump you use, size of pool and how long you run it every day?

You won't get a definitive answer, but the following post covers the pros and cons.

Reactions: polaris280
If you want to keep using a pressure side cleaner, I have 2 recommendations.

1. Replace the 280 with a Quattro. Quattro picks up very fine particles like grains of sand.

2. Get the smallest, least powerful (and hopefully cheapest) booster pump you can find. The Quattro requires much less pressure than the 3-wheeled Polarises. I, unfortunately, have a 1 hp booster which I have to greatly restrict so the Quattro won't climb out of the pool.
My primary goal was to have a system which I don't have to touch very often and ideally doesn't break the bank.

Any suggestions on what the low power pump could be? Also, does the power suffice?

Thanks for your suggestions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.