LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I went to the pool store today to get my free ("bring in your water and have us test it for you") Bioguard pool "shock".
While waiting for the water testing, one man was concerned about some chemical found on the water analysis read-out. "But I've never put that chemical in my pool. I wonder how it got there". PB (man) couldn't figure it out either. "I only put in there what ever you tell me to put in it. Just like my doctor. I just do what he says." :deal:
Also while standing waiting, a woman walked in and asked if she could talk to someone about wanting to buy a pool and what to look for. I wanted to run after her and slip her a "TFP" card. 😇

The store test showed: (I tested it yesterday with TF-100). My results FC 8, CC 0, TA 60, pH 7.6, CH I don't bother, CYA 50,
FC 5.4
CC not tested
TC 5.4
pH 7.9
TA 51/64
CH 48
CYA 44
Phosphate 1569
Metals 0
I was told what products to use to raise TA to 125 and to lower pH to 7.6.
I was told "your CH is low so you need to bring it up to 175 to 225". :deal:
Me: even with a vinyl liner? :poke:
PB (girl): yes if it's too low it's bad for the pool.
Me: how is that?
PB: You don't want it too low. That's what causes the equipment to corrode.
Me: From the water?
PB: Yes the water will corrode your equipment.
Me: Oh, thanks. :suspect:

I had her show me where the free bags of shock were and asked which one am I allowed?
PB: Burnout or Smart Shock.
Me: I read the labels. Smart Shock has copper in it, Burnout 75 is calhypo. I took the calhypo. :salut:

:lovetfp:

Every visit to my local pool store is entertaining while waiting properly socially distanced and overhearing the questions and answers from other customers.

I always have great fun at the pool store. Why just the other day I went in for a metals test... of course they wanted to test everything...

PS: Can I do a complimentary test of your water?
Me: Sure, If it gets your ya yas off., why just go ahead
PS: you know your FC is 7.5 that is too high
Me: But its going to be over a 100 degrees and I'm having a pool party
PS: But that is too high you need to bring it down.
Me: How do you suggest that I prepare for the higher than usual chlorine demand
PS: You need to add 1 gallon and 28 oz of Muriatic Acid...that's what it says to do on the print out
Me: You just measured my pH, its only 7.6
PS: But we need to reduce your chlorine
Me: [changes subject] did you find any Iron?
PS: No, maybe, I'm having trouble reading the color on the stick... Why do you think you have Iron?
Me: My pool was green, and the polyfill filter turned brown
PS: What's polyfill?
Me: you take a pillow...[blank stare from PS]... Nevermind.
PS: If your pool is green then you must have algae and you need to shock it
Me: You just told me my Chlorine was too high
PS: Shocking it is different.
Me: I'll see you later
PS: Sir, you forgot your complimentary water sample bottle

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.