My Above Ground Pool Modifications

Yea, by hand. And I never want to do that again. A foot deep and 40 feet long is a lot more dirt than I was expecting. Good thing I dug it by hand tho, as there is an unknown wire in the middle of my yard that no one knew was there.
That fountain turned out better than I was expecting. It can shoot water all the way across the pool into the yard if turned up too high. And the arms of it stay in without glue, so you can swivel it down and it makes a great back massagers. Also seems to cool the pool down a little too. Air temp steadily rising, but pool temp dropped 2 degrees yesterday.

I hate you people that have to cool your pools

I hate you people that have to cool your pools

I hate you people that get to enjoy a cool pool on a hot day. Mine feels more like a 6700 galloon low temp hot tub than a pool. I’m happy when my pools under 88 degrees, which isn’t too often. You know how many different ways you can cool a pool any significant amount? 0 ways. Darn you Newton and your stupid second law of thermodynamics.

Last edited:
This is nothing about your pool but...

I seen your from Baxley. We started listening to The Lacs last year and went to one of there concerts this year, have another one coming up in September. We even talked about taking our Jeeps and RZRs down to George for another concert.

So my question is have you heard of The Lacs? And what is Baxley most famous for? lol

The Lacs - Nothing In Particular (Official Video) - YouTube

The Lacs - Country Boy Fresh - YouTube

The Lacs - God Bless a Country Girl - YouTube

This is nothing about your pool but...

I seen your from Baxley. We started listening to The Lacs last year and went to one of there concerts this year, have another one coming up in September. We even talked about taking our Jeeps and RZRs down to George for another concert.

So my question is have you heard of The Lacs? And what is Baxley most famous for? lol

The Lacs - Nothing In Particular (Official Video) - YouTube

The Lacs - Country Boy Fresh - YouTube

The Lacs - God Bless a Country Girl - YouTube

I haven't heard of The Lacs before, but that's probably cuz I listen to hard rock and metal more than anything.

And what's Baxley famous for..... according to my wife who's lived here her entire life, drama. And nothing else, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Run a solar panel in the shade or at night, put a water sprinkler on it for added cooling.

Still works 10x better doing that in the sun to heat up a pool. It's just so much easier to heat up a pool, and you don't have to find any loopholes in the laws of physics lol.

Looks good, great job ! Nice fountain as well.

I'm with Jim, I'll be closing my pool while you guys in the South complain about your 75 degree cold water. Lol.

A number of your pics are missing :(

Pictures should all be working now, let me know if it seems like there's some missing. I count 22 pictures total in this thread, including the temperature chart on this page. Figured a new way to post pictures from Google Photos, and now the links are only 1/4 of a line long, whereas before they were 4-5 lines long each. Now I just need to figure out how to get the bbcode img resize tags to work.

Also, just realized one of the pictures has my son in the background walking outside with just a diaper on, lol.

So I noticed some bubbles in my pump's basket. Not enough to starve the motor, but enough that every day, I can let a little air out of my filter's air release valve. I then noticed that under the skimmer, I can hear bubbles rushing through the ball valve (its a Hayward ball valve meant for pool use), though there's enough water in the skimmer that there's no vortex or anything, leading me to think there's a leak somewhere under the skimmer. I took apart all of the threaded fittings between my hose and skimmer, and added more plumber's tape. The PVC MPT to slip adapter had no plumber's tape on it (must have forgotten when putting it all together), so I thought that was the problem, but when I put it all back together, nothing had changed. I also added some Hayward Jack's lube to each o-ring on the ball valve (both sides have a built in union) and that didn't change anything either. I did notice that if I started closing the valve a little bit, I could hear the air rushing louder, though I don't know if that really means anything.

I'm hoping someone who's reading this thread either can help, or knows someone that can. Thanks.

View from under the skimmer, at the ball valve.

View from inside the skimmer, where you can see little bubbles showing up, I believe from the leak down below.

View of the pump's basket, showing the bubbles inside it. I don't think its too bad, but I'm guessing it could get worse with time.

LOL I noticed the kid but was kind of surprised he had anything on :shock: although I am sure there are plenty of times he runs around a la natural hehe

Not sure about the air leak......you did everything I would have told you to.......I hope someone comes along with ideas.

Kim:kim:

LOL I noticed the kid but was kind of surprised he had anything on :shock: although I am sure there are plenty of times he runs around a la natural hehe

Not sure about the air leak......you did everything I would have told you to.......I hope someone comes along with ideas.

Kim:kim:

All the parts are brand new from smile.amazon.com and pvcfittingsonline.com. I inspected each piece and didn't see any signs of cracks or damage, all o-rings are very flexible and feel brand new. And if its not obvious from the videos, all cemented PVC fittings look good and had the cement applied to both the pipe and the fitting, with glue getting pressed out of the connections when I put them together, so there's definitely enough cement to make a good airtight seal between each one. I wish I could figure out if the sounds I'm hearing are bubbles originating above the valve and being forced down it, or air bubbles originating below the valve and rising up against the current.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, each threaded connection has a gracious amount of plumber's tape wrapped around it, probably 4-5 wraps, and was screwed in using a 2.5" channel locks, so I know they're in tight enough that they should create and airtight seal.

Meant to take a picture of my test kit and share it a while ago. With my modifications to my pool, decided my TF-100 was looking a little cramped in the small clear box it all came in, especially with a SpeedStir and the Taylor drop based salt test, so I decided to remedy the cramped space, and now feel like I need some more tests or something to fill all the extra room, lol.

Last edited:
One of the most nervous things you can do, plugging in a wire you just wired into a 120v 11A motor, lol. Found out the factory power cord is a 4ft 16 AWG cord, so I bought 3 feet of 12 AWG wire and heavy duty 15A plug to replace it. Original wire was getting a little hot, so figured it was probably from under sized power cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.