My $25 auto chlorinator DIY project

Private Im about to try this with my pool this weekend. Its funny because I use a similar setup in my attic since I have a small leak in the roof in which I have a bucket that catches the water and the pump return line is ran to my heater drip pan so it can be dispersed outside. I have it on a WIFI control so every so often I run it so it can empty the bucket.:cool:

Well, here is an update from season #2 with the redneck chlorine pump...
I left the pump out in the weather over the winter here in Alabama (and YES, we DO get below freezing, and stay there (for a couple of days at a time)).
I replaced the liner in my pool this spring (due to the previous owners of the pool bleaching out the bottom with undissolved granular shock), and set up everything just the way it was last year...
Success! ... the little pump that people said would never work just keeps going! :)
I could not be happier with the results!

I was looking @ stenner until I saw this. I have this in my box of reef equipment that I took down and thought of using it. I did not follow on the 4 pages of posts but was wondering if you had a way to plumb this directly into the PVC or is it still dripping into the pool?

I have mine dripping into the pool...
I don't think the little pump has the power needed to pump into the pressure end pipe, and if you put it on the suction side, I don't know that it won't leak a constant stream into the pool. It isn't a very strong pump.

I was thinking of combining this pump method with a specific gravity feed for when we are away. It could be run with a internet enabled outlet allowing adjustments remotely.

Using the same AW-20 pump (if Amazon actually ships the right one this time!) mounted outside the pool just below the water line, pump pool water down into the top of a bucket of bleach. Use a 1/2" pvc as a stand pipe to provide an exit path for the bleach out the top of the bucket. Set the flow time/rate to dispense the proper amount based on weather. Next year, perhaps add a sensor... :)

BleachDispensing.jpg

What do y'all think?

Hi I have a couple questions for folks using this set up...
1.. Where did you find aquarium tubing/hose that is chlorine proof?
2.. How did you determine how much chlorine to add to your pool daily?
3.. I saw one set up with the aqualifter pump hanging outside is it waterproof?
Thanks in advance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very cool project. How did it go? Did the pump hold up in the 4 years?
It appears you also researched pumps that can be found on Ebay for about $6.00. You did state a few observations, but it seems to me for only $6.00 it may be worth a similar experiment using a dosing pump that is designed for chemicals.

I do not think the being 12v would be an issue. I have several power AC/DC 12v converters from older electronics.
Flow Rate: Not sure what the flow rate is on a dosing pump, but that should not matter, as you can put a timer on and limit the amount of chlorine that would come out. A simple test to determine how much chlorine comes out. -

Today there are smart timers that can be used for one second on and off if you wanted that short of a time span.. However, I was surprised that you wrote that the amount of time should be less than 30 seconds. How did you determine that that much liquid would come out?

I Was also thinking that it would be possible to have a qt. container that had a small hole in it that would feed chlorine over time. The question would be how small of a hole would work and if the container should float or be submerged with a pin hole on the top and a 1/4 in hole on the bottom. Not being a physicist, that would be difficult to know without extermination..

I am guessing your pump must have broken down by now.. If so, did you try a dosing pump?

new 12V Dosing pump Peristaltic dosing Head DIY Aquarium Lab Analytical water AD | eBay

I was just thinking about this as I was trying to piece my new found system back together. I see lots of talk about how you are supposed to add chemicals to the pool with talk of socks, etc, etc. I was curious why you would not just create a chamber attached to the output going back to the pool (thinking venturi effect style, or solenoid plunger if you want to be fancy.) You could do a 2 stage where the 'dose' of whatever item was needed was dispensed into the feed hopper and then that went into the output stream (chambered, if course to prevent back up issues, etc.) I'm likely building a small shed/cabinet for all my pool equipment to keep them from getting directly covered in snow for part of the year, as part of that I could have room for quite the setup. You could use 4"+ PVC or the like to store chemicals. Even if it was just something you could dial in from your phone after manually testing the water it would save a lot of time. The other plus is that if you needed to dissolve something first, I would have to think that a 5 gallon bucket hooked up to the same system that you could set and forget would be handy. The whole thing can then be integrated and logic like "Run the pump for X hours" after the dose could be enforced.

I'm into my project for $28, $25 for the pump,AW-20, and $3 for 25 feet of polyethylene tubing,.170" ID-.25" OD., Got the pump at pet store,tubing at HD. Got my test set up working today, The feed tube is snaked thru a piece of aluminum tubing from a recovered wrecked aircraft, PVC or just about anything else would work, my plan is to bury between adjoining sections of the pool deck, at the seams where the concrete meets.The feed tube MUST be above the supply tank or else it will syphon out, Not good. Here's the proto setup, going to test it for a bit before I dig a hole for the tank.I've got a timer somewhere in the "drawer"..lol

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 45
Do yourself a favor, and set up the timer to match when your pump is running, and if possible, set it up to drip above a return to avoid the possibility of bleaching one area of the pool.
I actually set mine up to drip into my skimmer.
It did no damage to my equipment, as the bleach to water ratio was so vast.

That's the plan man, The point of drip is right above a return and I will time it to start 15 minutes after pool pump. My injection pump is putting out 1 cup every 70 seconds so I need it to only pump about 6 minutes, that leaves me plenty of time for the pool pump to complete its 2 hour cycle. Things are just a bit different with an inground pool,
Thanks for your recommendations !

Awesome to see this still going so many years later.

I switched to saltwater a year or so back so my need for this system is no longer, but it's neat to see people still going with the simplicity factor of it all. :)
I have to blame YOU for this, but I went to an actual Stenner system,and buried a 55gal drum next to my equipment pad for the bleach. :)
This setup did get me through a year, and a half though. It was still working when I installed my Stenner.
So, instead of blame, I guess I am THANKING you for setting me on the path to the automation of my chlorine additions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.