Mustard Algae?

FYI, I tried the muriatic acid to no avail. At this point it seems we either resurface entire pool or leave it as is. After taking a look underwater with new goggles, it doesn’t appear to be a stain but actually the surfacing material (paint,plaster,whatever) failing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoolStored
Hi everyone, it’s been awhile but I didn’t want to create a new thread unless I should. We are now considering re-doing the pool before a potential sale in the next few years. Per the attached photo (from 1986), it seems the spot in the shallow end has been there (but become more noticeable) since the inspection when the home was purchased!
Our new question - what is the best method to re-surface/re-finish the pool? I believe we are looking at fiberglass or plaster. From my research, it appears fiberglass is the better option? But perhaps more costly… What do you all think for re-finishing the gunite pool of ours.

Thank you for all the help and apologies for not knowing much about pools!!!!

Attachments

• F234E2E0-AC32-45E4-84FD-A981382B14EF.jpeg
    F234E2E0-AC32-45E4-84FD-A981382B14EF.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 17
Hi everyone, it’s been awhile but I didn’t want to create a new thread unless I should. We are now considering re-doing the pool before a potential sale in the next few years. Per the attached photo (from 1986), it seems the spot in the shallow end has been there (but become more noticeable) since the inspection when the home was purchased!
Our new question - what is the best method to re-surface/re-finish the pool? I believe we are looking at fiberglass or plaster. From my research, it appears fiberglass is the better option? But perhaps more costly… What do you all think for re-finishing the gunite pool of ours.

Thank you for all the help and apologies for not knowing much about pools!!!!
Paint it.

I would recommend starting a new thread in the "Under Construction" area. Re-post your pictures from 2021 or post new ones.
I think most will say that the best thing will be to chip the existing back to the gunite shell and then a new plaster finish (or pebbletec). But that will depend on your budget and how long "a few years" is... If it is < 5 then paint might well be the best choice.

Please keep your own thread here. No reason to start a new thread. You are welcome to change the title.

A gunite pool should be plastered. No paint or fiberglass. Either creates issues down the road.

In a ‘few years’. Paint will not last that long.
Got it. To all, we are unsure of if/when the house will be sold.. With that being said, pool companies that have come by the house have suggested fiberglass yet state that fiberglass causes issues, which seems contradictory.
Thus, it sounds as if plaster would be the best choice. And I’m sure we’ve been provided quotes, but does anyone have a ballpark price range for plastering a gunite pool (more specifically in CA). I don’t know the exact SF of the pool but it is 17,000 gallons and per an online calculator, about ~500 SF. Is the cost of plastering a pool calculated on a PSF basis? If so, what is the typical range? We are located outside of San Francisco so I’m sure it’ll be quite expensive and on the high end of a given range.. thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best finish for pool would probably be a simple plaster finish, without any bells and whistles (stones, etc). The plaster is smooth like a baby's bottom and very nice to walk on. For plaster finishes this will be the cheapest way to go,
You want a full chip out of the current plaster. Don't let them talk you in to just chipping out the problem area and ignore the rest.

Maddie :flower:

That's just weird and I don't have a clue. Can't imagine it would actually "stick" to a pool brush. Is the brush just discolored? Can we get a picture of the brush after use?

The best finish for pool would probably be a simple plaster finish, without any bells and whistles (stones, etc). The plaster is smooth like a baby's bottom and very nice to walk on. For plaster finishes this will be the cheapest way to go,
You want a full chip out of the current plaster. Don't let them talk you in to just chipping out the problem area and ignore the rest.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you. Out of curiosity (question for anyone).. is fiberglass or plaster better for a gunite pool, if money was not an object.. for me “better” is more reliable/attractive

A gunite pool should be plastered.

If you wanted a fiberglass pool, you install one from the start.

Hi all, me again.. A couple more questions..
My mom got a quote from a company. For $9,500-$10,000 they said they would ‘fix the problem spots, then re-fiberglass the pool.’

Another company quoted $19K and said they advise us against going through the process because they will remove the fiberglass down to the gunite but said they will likely find various issues (apparently it’s common) and the price could skyrocket before they then plaster the pool.
Various other companies we spoke with stated they won’t even work on a pool with a fiberglass finish.
Where do we go from here?

Maybe just leave it as is and let the new owners figure out what they want.

They might want the option of deciding on the finishes and just getting a credit for the cost of the remodel.

If you want to remodel, then you need to find a company that proposes a solution that you find acceptable.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.