Mustard algae SLAM 4 days and counting.

aralph

Jun 22, 2015
St. Francisville, LA
My pool is near a pond. The wind blows and I get a MA outbreak if conditions are right. This time my GFCI breaker tripped and my SWG went offline for a day or two. That's all it took for an outbreak to happen. I've been slamming for four solid days and have added 75 gallons bottles of 10% bleach. My CYA is 50, so been keeping the FC above 20 best I can, sweeping multiple times a day. No change yet, still losing lots of FC throughout the day and overnight. I hate this pool. Been here for 11 yrs and have battled this annually. It doesn't take much at all for a bloom to appear even with me keeping all of my levels right. It's a big pool, 32k gallons. I think the pond proximity is my death knell. I had a smaller pool at my last house and never had the first algae bloom, just added the occasional bag of salt. Anyway, I'm $500 into this slam and ready to sell the house. Just bought 100 lb of boric acid, hoping that will create a little buffer margin for me.

My pool is near a pond. The wind blows and I get a MA outbreak if conditions are right. This time my GFCI breaker tripped and my SWG went offline for a day or two. That's all it took for an outbreak to happen. I've been slamming for four solid days and have added 75 gallons bottles of 10% bleach. My CYA is 50, so been keeping the FC above 20 best I can, sweeping multiple times a day. No change yet, still losing lots of FC throughout the day and overnight. I hate this pool. Been here for 11 yrs and have battled this annually. It doesn't take much at all for a bloom to appear even with me keeping all of my levels right. It's a big pool, 32k gallons. I think the pond proximity is my death knell. I had a smaller pool at my last house and never had the first algae bloom, just added the occasional bag of salt. Anyway, I'm $500 into this slam and ready to sell the house. Just bought 100 lb of boric acid, hoping that will create a little buffer margin for me.
For reference, 75 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in 4 days should raise your chlorine by 243ppm. Measuring the level at only 20ppm would point to some kind of testing error or the pool is a literal swamp eating chlorine. Read through the articles linked above.

The pond is NOT your issue. Return the Boric acid, it will not help in your case.

You have some implied misconceptions. Let us help you get rid of many of them. Please read Swimming Pool Test Kits Compared

We can help you get your pool fixed (permanently) if you are willing to follow our methods.
Hey Duraleigh. Really do appreciate the feedback, however I've been following the TFP method for years now. I monitor my FC and CYA religiously and yes, I have all the test kits. I only test with DPD powder and reagent.

Reactions: newdude
For reference, 75 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine in 4 days should raise your chlorine by 243ppm. Measuring the level at only 20ppm would point to some kind of testing error or the pool is a literal swamp eating chlorine. Read through the articles linked above.
Yeah you read it right. Pool is crystal clear but I have battled this for years know and can spot the mustard algae in a heartbeat. I know it sounds crazy but I get the FC up over 20 and hold it there, but it drops VERY quickly. I'm adding 4 gallons every few hrs. Here's my DPD test method: 10ml of pool water, two tiny scoops of powder. Add the regeant and count the drops till it turns white, then divide by 2 (.5 ppm per drop) So if I put 20 drops into 10ml and 2 scoops of powder that's 10ppm.

Reactions: nataliekemans
Yeah you read it right. Pool is crystal clear but I have battled this for years know and can spot the mustard algae in a heartbeat. I know it sounds crazy but I get the FC up over 20 and hold it there, but it drops VERY quickly. I'm adding 4 gallons every few hrs. Here's my DPD test method: 10ml of pool water, two tiny scoops of powder. Add the regeant and count the drops till it turns white, then divide by 2 (.5 ppm per drop) So if I put 20 drops into 10ml and 2 scoops of powder that's 10ppm.
You appear to have something in the water consuming the chlorine. You need 6-7 gallons of 10% to reach 20ppm so the chlorine is going somewhere. Perhaps ammonia?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also any reason why boric acid wouldn't help in my situation?
Against algae ? Not likely at pool borate levels.

What are your normal FC targets ? Recurring alage is telling you that your targets need to be raised. Some folks just need more than most due to environmental issues, black algae, etc.

Against algae ? Not likely at pool borate levels.

What are your normal FC targets ? Recurring alage is telling you that your targets need to be raised. Some folks just need more than most due to environmental issues, black algae, etc.
I keep my FC around 4-6ppm. Strangely it was testing in range when the algae showed up. This happens to me annually like clockwork. Once I get rid of it, it rarely returns the same year unless I have an equipment malfunction. I swear I'm snakebit with this pool. Had same issue when I was on chlorine as I do now with my SWG.

I keep my FC around 4-6ppm
That's too low IMO, especially once you raise the CYA to SWG level for the peak season. Glitches happen or the SWG shuts off for 12 hours after a big rain if the self check happens during or for a while after.

After this is all handled, test morning noon and evening to establish your low FC point of the day. Make sure it never drops below 8 at the low point and I bet the issue will not return.

Reactions: aralph
That's too low IMO, especially once you raise the CYA to SWG level for the peak season. Glitches happen or the SWG shuts off for 12 hours after a big rain if the self check happens during or for a while after.

After this is all handled, test morning noon and evening to establish your low FC point of the day. Make sure it never drops below 8 at the low point and I bet the issue will not return.
Copy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support