Okay so it says that I had basically need just over 15 bottles of regular bleach, if I'm not able to find that can I just use the liquid chlorine at Home Depot that's in a powder form? With Covid it's hard to find bleach and I'm not even sure if they'll let me buy that much.
You could use Cal-hypo. Your CH is low enough.

Don't use dichlor or trichlor or non-chlorine shock

I was luckily able to find liquid chlorine bleach at home Depot at 10%. they just had enough bleach bottles as well but the liquid chlorine was a better deal. Is it safe to up our chlorine FC levels by 19 in one day? If so I will add all nine bottles tonight ?

I was luckily able to find liquid chlorine bleach at home Depot at 10%. they just had enough bleach bottles as well but the liquid chlorine was a better deal. Is it safe to up our chlorine FC levels by 19 in one day? If so I will add all nine bottles tonight ?
Yes it is. And brush a bunch. That will ensure it gets everywhere and if there's any clinging algae anywhere, it will get exposed.

So here is an interesting reading...
I added 9 1 gallon bottles of liquid chlorine last night at 10pm. It looks like my husband also added 3 chlorine tabs before i did the initial test (he has not been willing to read up on the better methods yet, as I am aware those aren't good for the pool now).

Somehow we got a reading of 37.5 FC and i tested it twice with the same results?

So maybe I was off in my initial test? Or maybe the tabs add more chlorine than I imagined? I double checked the liquid chlorine and they were only 10% like I thought. So very weird. Looks like all the living organisms are dead!!! As we produced more chlorine somehow???

If the chlorine you bought was really fresh it could have been more potent than 10%, or you could have had a testing error prior to adding the chlorine. Tabs add chlorine more slowly, so unless the tabs that were added have already completely dissolved that is probably not the source. By the way, you can remove the chlorine tabs and let them dry out and throw them away. Also husband doesn't have to agree to read up on TFP, but you might ask him to let you continue to take care of the pool until y'all decide if this is the pool care method you want to use going forward. Trichlor tabs add CYA and you don't want that level to get too high.

I just noticed the SWG in your signature. Is it turned on? If so that could be where the extra chlorine came from.

If the chlorine you bought was really fresh it could have been more potent than 10%, or you could have had a testing error prior to adding the chlorine. Tabs add chlorine more slowly, so unless the tabs that were added have already completely dissolved that is probably not the source. By the way, you can remove the chlorine tabs and let them dry out and throw them away. Also husband doesn't have to agree to read up on TFP, but you might ask him to let you continue to take care of the pool until y'all decide if this is the pool care method you want to use going forward. Trichlor tabs add CYA and you don't want that level to get too high.

I just noticed the SWG in your signature. Is it turned on? If so that could be where the extra chlorine came from.

My husband lets me do everything but sometimes interferes without talking about things, like adding the tabs. The SWG board is dead but the cell is running I believe as I still see water passing through it?

No salt has been added to the pool for at least a couple years.

But I definitely hope we at least passed the SLAM test as no CC levels and pool is clear. Now i just have to wait what feels like forever to swim for the FC to drop to 10

Your CYA is 60 -- you can safely swim with a FC at or below SLAM level FC. As long as you can see the bottom of the pool.

If the SWG board is dead and the salt is too low then your SWG is not producing chlorine, it is just letting water pass through. Without power and salt its just a fancy piece of pipe!

If the SWG board is dead and the salt is too low then your SWG is not producing chlorine, it is just letting water pass through. Without power and salt its just a fancy piece of pipe!
Yeah I don't think it is producing chlorine but I have no idea how our levels got so high? At least we passed the slam process and it is now safe to swim in the pool with no algae hopefully for the rest of the season 🤞

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.