Mustard Algae during SWG Conversion

Nate4429

Mar 8, 2019
Marysville, Wa
Hey everyone. Feeling a bit overwhelmed. I just had a CircuPool RJ60 installed (converting to a SWG) and at the same time the pool guy said I have mustard algae growing. I thought it might have just been pollen but I really knew it wasn't :/ but my water is only 45 degrees so how can it be algae? The pool guy said mustard algae can grow at anytime. Pool is still in winter mode. Water doesn't hit 60 until late April early May typically so I have some time to get this algae kicked out and the SWG all set up.

Took levels today and here's what I got: FC-0 / PH-7.6 / TA-50 / CH-50 / CYA-0 (I could fill the whole thing and still see the dot clearly but would that be zero or 20?).

So....where do I go from here? I've been through 2 algae blooms before 2 summers ago. I learned from that and had zero blooms last year so yay but now algae in the winter sub 60 degrees? It caught me off guard. I'm still waiting for an electrician to come hook up my SWG so I thought I should start with the algae but then I'm in-between chlorine systems so I don't know where to start? I've read all the Pool School stuff. I just need to know what to do first...Do I shock normally with liquid bleach like I've done before? Or is that different with a SWG? Thank you! You guys have been a huge help in the past :)

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 17
Follow the SLAM Process. Be sure your water sample for your CYA test was room temperature. Once confirmed, get CYA to 30 ppm for SLAM. No difference in SLAM for salt water.

It was not at room temp but I had the same CYA all last year during the summer. After last winter (not this winter) of draining a little and filling with rain water it went from a 90cya to 20cya. How do I bring the CYA up? I haven't had to do that. I've only had to bring it down...

Probably closer to 0 than 20 if the sample was real clear.

I would suggest adding 20 ppm worth and assume it is 30 ppm for SLAM level FC. Then test in several days after the CYA is dissolved.

Mustard algae is pretty rare, have you had it before in this pool?

I don't think so??? The last bloom I had was different than this. Did you see the pic attached in the first post? Not sure if you can tell by it...This one is more consistent cover over everything in the pool. It's still getting down close to freezing at night here and there are now trees or vegetation near the pool so not sure how pollen would get in...never seen this before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.