Must I have a multi-port valve?

TexasTea2

Feb 28, 2021
Dallas, TX
We have a Nautilus FNS fiberglass DE filter with a standard multiport valve. The system is connected to a Pac-Fab separation tank. However, we NEVER use any positions other than "Filter" on the multiport valve. To clean, we open, drain, and wash the blades of the DE filter. Replace blade unit, refill the tank with hose, run in DE from the pool suction side. We have found that ~3 times per year works just fine this way.

Our multiport valve developed a crack (winter freeze) and needs attending to. Our question is: since we never use the other positions, do we really need to install another multiport? Could we instead just run straight PVC piping ? If not, why not?

Someone suggested that a one-way or check valve might be necessary, but we are unclear as to why. To prevent DE running back to the pool somehow or to prevent the tank from self-emptying when the pump was off? Would either of those be an issue? An inline shut-off could take care of that as long as we not forget to re-open before turning on the pump.

Thoughts and thanks.

Some people here have a DE filter so large they only clean it once or twice a year. As long as you don't run into a SLAM (algae) situation, I suppose it's possible. You might at the very least want to have a union or two in the line in case you have to change things later or wish to have a 3-way to pump straight to waste. More replies to follow I'm sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.