Must bleed filter daily, leak sound at pump

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Hi all,

I recently did an end of season filter cleaning and everything went fine. Since then or possibly before, I'm not sure, I have to bleed the air out of my filter every morning. At night, when it's quiet, I can hear gurgling at the filter. Around the pump I hear a sound like air sucking in. I have no pressure leaks, in other words everything around is dry. I have videos of both sounds. I've resealed the pump basket 2 times with lubricant. I did not put any lube on the large filter o-ring.
I suppose there's an o-ring or gasket between the motor and pump, right? Could it be that? The pump isn't even 2 years old yet. That would be a bummer.
Note: I have a connection on the far side of the pump basket for a Paramount Clear O3 ozone generator that I regret installing. I don't feel like it's leaking but it is a possibility.

Pump sound: New video by Mark Romans
Filter gurgling: New video by Mark Romans

What do you all think? Thank you!

Last edited:

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
I have the same filter and I find the big o-ring to be finicky, as in a small particle of dirt could cause a leak. I would open it back up and clean both the o-ring and both halves of the channel it sits in. And lube the o-ring.

I had the same symptom a while back and could not figure it out. So I decided to start throwing parts at it, cheapest first. It turned out I had a tiny, completely invisible crack in the transparent pump lid which was sucking air. I was lucky that it was a cheap part.

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Oh, very good to know, thanks @Rocket J Squirrel . I have another pump that might have the same lid. I'll switch 'em and see.

Question, if I had a leak at the big o-ring on the filter, would it not spew water as well as suck air when off?

What is the recommended o-ring lube for that big o-ring? Magic lube seems to get good reviews. ?

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Silicone lube. Yep, I just looked and what I have is Magic Lube II. I don't know what the II signifies. In any case, the same lube you used on the small pump o-ring should work for the big filter o-ring, as long as it's silicone.

Yes, a leak at the o-ring will usually spew, or at least drip, water. It's under pressure after all. But it sounded an alarm in my head when you said you didn't lube it. I never really understand plumbing. I understand electricity, which is easier to work with because electrons don't leak. :)

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
The order has been placed for Magic Lube II. Thank you.
I've got no leaks but I would like to lube it next time.

I heard no air seeping this evening but I'll keep an eye on it and try another lid if I hear it again.

GoldMember

May 12, 2020
Long Beach, CA
So I tried switching out the lid and o-ring from the other 1.5 year old pump, AND I lubed it with the Magic Lube II. Same deal. New video/audio: New video by Mark Romans

I have not disassembled/lubed my filter o-ring though because my gut tells me it's at the pump, which is where that obvious noise is coming from.

I'm a little bummed that no one else has weighed in on this, not that I don't appreciate you, @Rocket J Squirrel, I do! Maybe I'll repost. Am I in the right section of the forums with this issue? I need some new ideas. Thanks!