Muriatic before Bleach, and high PH (grr)

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Hey guys, trying to get my stuff dialed in, could use an assist. Pool H20 is looking good, but some mustard on the sides and in the shadows. I have a SWG but turned it off for winter (in So Cal). I put in about 4 gals of bleach about 3 weeks ago, when I had 0 CH and 0 CC. Last week I added some conditioner (sock method) since I was around 40 or so.

Tested today:

1.5 CL
0 CC
400 CH
150 TA
8.2 PH
60 CYA

I used Pool math, that tells me about 1/2 gallon of acid, and obviously want to get my ph down, CL up. Not much I can do about CH without draining, but our tap water is almost 350, so I think I'll just ignore that for now. Should I go with Muriatic before adding bleach? How long should I wait?

Thanks,
Joel

JB, if you suspect you have ANY type of algae at all, I would SLAM first. That would mean lowering pH to 7.2 then increasing the FC on the proper Shock/SLAM level based on your CYA. It would've been good to do that before you added more stabilizer. :) But in any case, maybe validate your CYA one more time, then increase FC to the proper SLAM level. For a CYA of 60, we know the FC SLAM/Shock should be 24. If your CYA is closer to 70, then make the FC 28. Just lower the pH before increasing FC.

Don't worry about your CH. 400 is great for your area. Once you pass all 3 SLAM criteria, just ensure pH never climbs over 7.8. Now SLAM away and have a nice weekend.

Thanx Tex, so enough Muriatic to get to 7.2 ph, then slam it up with bleach? I just poured about 1/2 gal of 14.5% muriatic in. Seems my ph is a bit of a beast to get lower, but I should do that before adding too much bleach.

I appreciate the feedback,
Joel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.