Muriatic Acid helps

None. Pouring MA from one vessel to another can cause unwanted splashing. Just pour straight from the jug and keep your nose away from it.

Reactions: pjt
Agree with above -- I wear chemist-style safety goggles (well, I don't always, but I intend to), don't use gloves or a respirator, and pour directly from the jug.

No gloves -- A splash of MA on your skin isn't a big deal. Rinse it within a short time, but nothing to panic about. And you have thousands of gallons of water conveniently right there.

Goggles and no respirator -- A splash of MA or extended exposure to fumes on your eyes can be a very big deal. Goggles can protect against splashing, but most won't against fumes, thus NOT wearing a respirator so you know to move away.

Measuring -- don't worry about to-the-ounce measurements. I have a marked stick and sharpie that I use to transfer quart lines to new jugs, and that's the rough amount I put in every time. I target a range rather than obsessing over a specific pH number. In my case, when it gets to 8.0, I put in about a quart, bringing it down to 7.5-7.6ish, and wait for it to get up again. That takes 1.5-2 weeks in my pool.

Reactions: dBsooner
Safety glasses, pour slowly in front of a return and stay downwind.

MA isn’t that bad but should be respected.

Thank you all for your responses I also read the following link: Chemical Storage and Safety - Further Reading
The thing is I have read and watched videos about making a 1 part Muriatic Acid dilution in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water about half way which would make 10 part water for a 1:10 dilution.

Based on your answers that you pour it directly from the pitcher, then what are your recommendations for pouring an exact amount according to desired value to lower the pH according to doses per gallon etc.?

Do you mark the measurements with lines on your jugs by ounces or something and use that as a guide?

Thank you all for your responses I also read the following link: Chemical Storage and Safety - Further Reading
The thing is I have read and watched videos about making a 1 part Muriatic Acid dilution in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water about half way which would make 10 part water for a 1:10 dilution.

Based on your answers that you pour it directly from the pitcher, then what are your recommendations for pouring an exact amount according to desired value to lower the pH according to doses per gallon etc.?

Do you mark the measurements with lines on your jugs by ounces or something and use that as a guide?
Welcome to TFP,
Don't bother with the dilution, you’re adding extra potential for an incident without gain and you then need to reverse the dilution calculation for your actual dose. Just go straight to the pool. No need to be super accurate as your pH is constantly shifting anyway.

A dilution is really only for those that are using an automated dosing system that requires a dilution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP,
Don't bother with the dilution, you’re adding extra potential for an incident without gain and you then need to reverse the dilution calculation for your actual dose. Just go straight to the pool. No need to be super accurate as your pH is constantly shifting anyway.

A dilution is really only for those that are using an automated dosing system that requires a dilution.

Agree 100% -- don't dilute (well, dilute into your 20,000 gallon "bucket" :)), and there's no need to measure to the ounce. How many gallons is your pool? Target pH is a pretty wide range, so you can approximate just fine. Like I said, I put quart lines on my MA jugs, but many people just guestimate it and I probabaly could too by now. Let's say I'm targeting getting down to 7.5 from 8.0 If I put in too much, pH might go to 7.4, which is fine and will mean an extra couple days before having to add next time. Or if I put too little in, it might go to 7.6 or even 7.7, and again,that just means it'll be a day or two sooner before I need to add again.

The less you mess with stuff, the easier and safer. Similarly, some people talk about "broadcasting" chemicals around the pool -- but that just risks splashing, tripping, etc. Pour in front of a return, and the water will self-"broadcast" and mix just fine in a half hour or so.

Welcome to TFP,

Ok thanks

I have read and watched videos about making a 1 part Muriatic Acid dilution in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water about half way

That's an inferior technique. Every time MA is handled, it increases the risk of a splash or spill. Pouring straight from the jug reduces the chance of skin or eye contact to almost nothing.

For 12 oz, I visualize a soda can. A gallon is 128 oz, so 12 oz is around 1/10th of a jug. You don't need extreme precision. You can always add more MA or LC if needed. You can rest the jug on the surface of the water and use its buoyancy to assist.

Agree 100% -- don't dilute (well, dilute into your 20,000 gallon "bucket" :)), and there's no need to measure to the ounce. How many gallons is your pool? Target pH is a pretty wide range, so you can approximate just fine. Like I said, I put quart lines on my MA jugs, but many people just guestimate it and I probabaly could too by now. Let's say I'm targeting getting down to 7.5 from 8.0 If I put in too much, pH might go to 7.4, which is fine and will mean an extra couple days before having to add next time. Or if I put too little in, it might go to 7.6 or even 7.7, and again,that just means it'll be a day or two sooner before I need to add again.

The less you mess with stuff, the easier and safer. Similarly, some people talk about "broadcasting" chemicals around the pool -- but that just risks splashing, tripping, etc. Pour in front of a return, and the water will self-"broadcast" and mix just fine in a half hour or so.
I don't have a pool but I am looking for recommendations since I am going to provide maintenance services, thank you for your response.

That's an inferior technique. Every time MA is handled, it increases the risk of a splash or spill. Pouring straight from the jug reduces the chance of skin or eye contact to almost nothing.

For 12 oz, I visualize a soda can. A gallon is 128 oz, so 12 oz is around 1/10th of a jug. You don't need extreme precision. You can always add more MA or LC if needed. You can rest the jug on the surface of the water and use its buoyancy to assist.
Ok thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.