Muriatic Acid dumped near tree

Feb 7, 2021
Knoxville, TN
Hi All,

Getting close to filling the pool!

The plaster crew came out yesterday to acid wash the new pool in anticipation of plastering today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, when they finished they dumped gallons of excess muriatic acid on the ground very close to the base of a beautiful, huge, 100-year-old oak tree. When you Google "muriatic acid tree roots" you get about a thousand posts and videos on using muriatic acid to kill unwanted trees.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate the effects of pouring gallons of muriatic acid at the base of a tree we really don't want to lose?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Snoobug
I would assume it was used in the pool and then dumped there? I would notify the pool builder and document with pictures if possible. It may not be an issue by communication with those responsible is a good idea.

Have you considered diluting it? I’d put a sprinkler right on top of it for ~4-5 hours and really douse the area. You’ll spread it around a bit but I think the long term benefit is likely a better play.

On the other hand... oak trees are a really nasty dirty tree that drop all kinds of things in their surrounding area. Your pool will continually get a lot of Crud from that tree. The pool crew may have done this on purpose for long term health of the pool.

Note: This was meant as a humorous post... but that doesn't mean it isn't true :)

Note: This was meant as a humorous post... but that doesn't mean it isn't true
My vote still goes to the oak tree winning. I had many and those things have rightfully earned their fabled reputation for strength.

I can’t even count how many I took down that were as hollow as a flute, a 2 ft trunk with only a 3 or 4 inch outside layer under the bark, still holding a 100 ft tree up through all kinds of storms. A lot of times I had to drop a tree to make room for the bad one to fall and when I cut into the ‘good’ tree, it was far worse than the one that was visibly bad.

OP, for anecdotal evidence, I gave my filters a 50:1 MA bath in a big garbage can each fall and dumped that water right in the grass without any harm. Of course some time has passed with the stronger mix sitting there but if you can dillute the area it might help.

On the other hand... oak trees are a really nasty dirty tree that drop all kinds of things in their surrounding area. Your pool will continually get a lot of Crud from that tree. The pool crew may have done this on purpose for long term health of the pool.

Note: This was meant as a humorous post... but that doesn't mean it isn't true :)
Ha! No doubt. I'm dreading dealing with all the pollen pods those trees put out in the Spring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.