Muriatic acid adding methods

In my pool there are some streams that are stronger than others (the ones closest to the pump). I use the strongest stream so I minimize the risk of damaging anything. It also makes it mix faster.

I pick a return that is downwind of where I am, so that any fumes get blown away from me.

I submerge the bottle so that the acid doesn't have far to drop as I pour, to minimize splashing. Pour slowly, and then I brush that area to help mix the acid around.

Reactions: Richard320
I read on another thread that vacuuming (recycling through pump/filter) wasn't recommended. Why not? I often use vacuuming as a way to help dissolve soda ash that doesn't fully dissolve when I mix it in a bucket and pour into the pool water.

I pick a return that is downwind of where I am, so that any fumes get blown away from me.
This ^^^

I read on another thread that vacuuming (recycling through pump/filter) wasn't recommended. Why not? I often use vacuuming as a way to help dissolve soda ash that doesn't fully dissolve when I mix it in a bucket and pour into the pool water.
Now I gotta know why your pool needs both acid and soda ash.

I'm guessing you weren't aware that soda ash drives TA up, and high TA causes rapid pH rise. So your pH looks low, you raise it, and in two days it's too high so you add acid. Or you're chasing some TA target and now you're on the merry-go-round of add one thing then the other then start again.

Anyway... it's just a general rule to not pour anything in the skimmer. Just like treat all circuits as live and assume every gun is loaded. Plenty of people have had stuff spill and had no choice but to vacuum it up and lived to tell about it, but it's not something you should make a habit out of.

Reactions: Winstonselect848
Now I gotta know why your pool needs both acid and soda ash.

I should have been more clear, because yeah, it makes no sense to add both soda ash and MA at the same time!

I haven't added soda ash in a while (months), and was using it in conjunction with my old chlorine tablet usage days in an effort to keep my pH up.

I also wasn't very clear on my initial vacuum question. What's incorrect about vacuuming after adding MA to the pool, instead of brushing? I've got a 10' deep end and it's a lot easier to vacuum than brush (which I've never done, honestly).

I should have been more clear, because yeah, it makes no sense to add both soda ash and MA at the same time!

I haven't added soda ash in a while (months), and was using it in conjunction with my old chlorine tablet usage days in an effort to keep my pH up.

I also wasn't very clear on my initial vacuum question. What's incorrect about vacuuming after adding MA to the pool, instead of brushing? I've got a 10' deep end and it's a lot easier to vacuum than brush (which I've never done, honestly).
Vacuuming acid could be rough on the seals in the pump and filter.

You shouldn't have to do anything special to mix the acid if you dribble it into the return stream. I don't. I can see the yellowish cloud fan out and fade away to nothingness. The only reason to try to speed up the mixing is if you're in a hurry to test again or add something else.

I have 3 returns also.

When I was new at this pool stuff, I mixed my acid with water in a 5 gal. bucket and poured around the perimeter of the pool. That got old real quick.

Now I just pour a little of mine at all 3 returns to "spread" it around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.