Muratic acid storage

Perpetual summer

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
I bought two gallons of muratic acid at the beginning of the season, used very little of it. Winter coming so I need to take it indoors to keep from freezing. Correct? Can I put it in a sealed storage container or does it need to be somewhat breathable? I will need to take it into basement.

I bought two gallons of muratic acid at the beginning of the season, used very little of it. Winter coming so I need to take it indoors to keep from freezing. Correct? Can I put it in a sealed storage container or does it need to be somewhat breathable? I will need to take it into basement.

Muriatic acid will not freeze. You can leave it outside.

- - - Updated - - -

The freezing point of 20 Baume HCl is -43C ... how many -45F winter days do you get in Ohio?

22 states have had -45 Fahrenheit, or lower. For Ohio, the lowest is -39 Fahrenheit.

For anyone living in Vostok Station, please don't store acid outside. The freezing point of liquid nitrogen is -345.7, so you could store that outside anywhere on earth.

It's getting cold in Texas for the next few days. The pool pump system will take care of itself with it's freeze protection but I'm starting to worry about the tank of acid and stenner pump that live outside.

The tank holds about 10 gallons of a 20% mix of 20 baume muriatic acid and water. If I read the chart on Wikipedia correctly that mix gives me concentration of 6.3% which corresponds to a freezing point of -8deg C (about 17 deg F).

The lowest temperature forecast at the moment is 26 deg F so I should be ok just leaving everything as it is? Anyone disagree or have any words of advice for how to look after this part of the pool in freezing conditions?

The acid will not freeze. You’ll be fine. Obviously the tubing will weather a little bit more than usual from the harsher winter temps but I doubt there will be any issues. You can always stick a contractor lamp with an “old fashion” 100W light bulb in it pointing up at the stenner. The added warmth should keep it fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.