Multi-port Valve issues

Dec 5, 2016
Macon GA
I have decided that it is finally time to bite the bullet and rebuild the very worn Hayward multi-port valve that sits atop my sand filter. What I need:
— If anyone has any tricks to removing the glued in spider gasket, please share them, and
— Can anyone help find the correct replacement valve model number.

======
Here are the specs:
The current valve is:
Hayward Model # SP071620TFV
Serial # 21121312005936033

The canister the valve sits on is:
Hayward Model # S244T2
Serial # 21121312006439002

(I can’t tell for certain but it is possible that the valve and canister may have been installed at different times.)

My initial plan was to keep the base of the valve and replace the worn upper workings with a new key cover and handle assembly. Should be simple enough, right? Well, that was the plan. Reality, of course, quickly put an end to it.

- In trying to replace the worn spider gasket in the valve base, I have found that the gasket was thoroughly glued in place. It has degraded to a slimy, slippery texture but remains extremely tough. Thus it has been impossible to remove the gasket intact. The best I could do was eventually pry a few small pieces loose that tore out leaving glue, gunk and bits of rubber in the gasket channels.
- Since it looks like I may be replacing the entire valve, I went looking for the Model # online at various pool supplies shops but came up empty. There are valves with similar model numbers but none identical to mine. However, I can’t find any cross-reference charts to know if one of these is a compatible replacement.
- Adding insult to injury, the original installer glued the pipes into the valve rather than use unions so I am looking at tearing out a good bit of pipe to install a new valve. It’s not rocket science, just another annoying step added to the process.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ProSeries-S180T-S210T-S220T-S244T.pdf
    465.4 KB · Views: 2
See if this looks like your MPV...

View attachment 448888
Allen, Thanks for the reply. The diagram you show here is an example of one of those “almost-but-not-quite-right” sources I keep running into. My valve is not an “XL” model and uses 2” plumbing rather then the 1 1/2” plumbing on this XL valve. Also, though the diagram says this XL valve fits the “S244T” sand filter canister, my canister model is “S244T2”. Another confusing example I ran into is the “Hayward SP071621 Vari-Flo XL multiport control valve”. This is the XL valve in 2” but the model number end in “21” whereas mine ends in “20TFV”. If there is any rhyme or reason to the numbering scheme Hayward uses for its equipment, I haven‘t discerned it.

S244T2 has a valve with 2" ports. That being said, the valve with 1.5" ports can be used with a change to 1.5" MIP to 2"-socket adapters. Slight amount of replumbing. You would not notice the difference between the two.
Also, just the lid, handle, and diverter assemble are available as a unit without replacing the body.

SPX0714BA​

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.